Why I never blame the offense for the defense

fenderbender123

Reaction score
First off, the offense was terrible last game. Slightly worse than the defense, possibly.

However, I don't blame the offense for the defense for a few reasons:

1. The defense should be conditioned enough, and there should be enough depth to rotate players in and out.

2. If the defense is on the field for long periods of time, that's mostly on the defense for not stopping the opposing offense from having long, sustained drives.

3. TOP is overrated. It's like saying the offense should never have long, explosive plays for a TD because scoring too quick tires out the defense. That's just silly.

4. I've seen A LOT of teams that have a great defense and shitty offense. How did those teams wind up having such a great defense when they should have been tired and giving up 5 tds a game due to their shitty offense? Yeah, doesn't make sense, does it?

The end.

cymatica

Reaction score
According to KJ, who played the game, it 100% affects the defense when the offense can't do anything. It's not just conditioning, it's psychological.

I do think top matters a lot when it's as lop sided as it was. Even the best defense will start to wear down if they have twice the playing time as the offense

themunn

Reaction score
Incidentally, I just replied to your post in the other thread before I saw this, but in this case it absolutely mattered.

In the first 9 drives they forced 2 punts, 2 fumbles and allowed 2 TDs, and 3 FGs - although one of the FGs on a short field was a gimme following our fumble. In that time they were on the field for over 30 minutes vs just 12+change for our offense.

Had our offense even managed to put up 10-13 points in that time then maybe you can see us coming back from there at less than a 2 TD deficit, but after a while the guys out there are leggy and just couldn't catch up with the Ravens O, leading to sloppy and missed tackles and an embarrassing 4th quarter.

It's not to say the D couldn't have done better, there was some missed plays here and there and the 4th and 1 offsides REALLY hurt. But you can't win games without scoring points.

renofox

Reaction score
Once they know the game is completely lost the players on defense are not going to give 100% - that is human nature.

If the Offense had shown even the smallest signs of being able to maybe do something, the Defense would not have collapsed so completely.

Defense started out playing at a level that could have made a win possible. Offense started out shitting the bed, and spent the rest of the game smearing it all over themselves.

Abysmal defensive performance.
But 100% understandable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Nobody gets a pass yesterday.

Yeah the offense stunk, they REALLY stunk. But for two games now the D, and especially the front seven has regressed back to allowing QB's and RB's to gash them up the middle for WAY too many yards, and especially early down yards giving offenses easy 2nd and 3rd down conversions.

Nobody gets a pass after that embarrassing beatdown.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
According to KJ, who played the game, it 100% affects the defense when the offense can't do anything. It's not just conditioning, it's psychological.

I do think top matters a lot when it's as lop sided as it was. Even the best defense will start to wear down if they have twice the playing time as the offense

It affects the defense to a point, but giving up 37 points is a less than mediocre outing for a defense no matter how long they were out there. If they at least played mediocre, it would have maybe been 27 points max.

warden

Reaction score
Can’t blame the offense for giving up 300 yards on the ground. 300 yards. The Ravens already had 100 yards on the ground in the second quarter.

rcaido

Reaction score
Offense couldn't get any drive or yards...Wasn't just Geno but the running game was horrid.

I think they had a total of 45yards before they got that one 50 yarder from Metcalf to get the only point of the game before the half ended. 1 for 12 on 3rd down. Ravens did not score in the 1st quarter. Defense also got two take aways. I think the loss is more on the offense in this game.

cymatica

Reaction score
Defense started out playing at a level that could have made a win possible. Offense started out shitting the bed, and spent the rest of the game smearing it all over themselves.
Lol, perfect description. After the defense walked in the room and noticed the shit covered offense, they said "I'm outta here, I'll be back when you clean yourself up".

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Offense couldn't get any drive or yards...Wasn't just Geno but the running game was horrid.

I think they had a total of 45yards before they got that one 50 yarder from Metcalf to get the only point of the game before the half ended. 1 for 12 on 3rd down. Ravens did not score in the 1st quarter. Defense also got two take aways. I think the loss is more on the offense in this game.
Yep. The 3rd down conversion rate has been horrible all season. The biggest thing with this game is that the O line got dominated. There was no room to run. There was no time for Geno to throw the ball.

strohmin

Reaction score

Defenses have a say in TOP too. Any self respecting defense would take it as a challenge and get themselves off the field no matter how crappy the offense is. The LOB did it multiple times. I dont want to hear people compare this defense to LOB again. This is an average defense which is better than our past few defenses but definitely not great.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Once they know the game is completely lost the players on defense are not going to give 100% - that is human nature.
BRRRZZZZKKKK.......FAIL.

First, this is not true. For a primer on a defence that gave 100% regardless of the dire score, rewatch the LOB in the NFCG game vs Packers, or the playoff game vs Panthers the next year.

This giving up you speak of is a sign to the coaching staff to bench, trade or release outright, these so-called "human naturists"

Xxx

Reaction score
BRRRZZZZKKKK.......FAIL.

First, this is not true. For a primer on a defence that gave 100% regardless of the dire score, rewatch the LOB in the NFCG game vs Packers, or the playoff game vs Panthers the next year.

This giving up you speak of is a sign to the coaching staff to bench, trade or release outright, these so-called "human naturists"
Definitely not true. No defense gives up cause they are losing. They only quit when the coaching is no longer effective and believable

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Definitely not true. No defense gives up cause they are losing. They only quit when the coaching is no longer effective and believable
This isn't the truth either ^^ Defense NEVER quits or gives up, they can and DO get overwhelmed.
BWags would give some of y'all a dirty look for even insinuating that they'd ever "Quit".

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They gave up 17 points. I can't even fathom thinking that game was on anything but the Offense, Pathetic play calling and WAY too many penalties.

Not giving 100 percent? Just stop

Xxx

Reaction score
This isn't the truth either ^^ Defense NEVER quits or gives up, they can and DO get overwhelmed.
BWags would give some of y'all a dirty look for even insinuating that they'd ever "Quit".
I don’t think they quit. I’m just saying it takes a lot more than losing to cause them to quit and it has to do with buying in to the coaching. No well coached team would ever quit