Why do people go so crazy for the Seahawks?

treesquirrel

Reaction score
I am autistic, so there are many social conventions I don't quite understand. One of the biggest ones is why people are so over the top infatuated with the Seahawks and football.

They drape large flags over buildings and on mountains. They paint their houses and cars. They buy wardrobes full of outfits. They swarm in massive mobs where they make extremely large amounts of noise and yelling and screaming and jumping around nonsensically They exclude themselves from any non-sports family or friends gatherings in order to watch the games on their phones or listen on the radio. It seems the primary topic of most of their conversations, and hoping the Seahawks win seems to be the number one concern in their life. Recently, in my quiet neighborhood I suddenly heard seahawks shouting coming from all corners, fireworks going off, etc The examples of the extreme over the top obsession could go on forever.

But why is this? Maybe it is my Autism, but I just don't understand
There are hundereds of great games or sports like baseball, volleyball, golf, ski competitions, freestyle motocross, fencing, gymnastics, board game competitions, film festival competitions, etc. But nobody seems to get even a fraction of how manically excited they get about football and the seahawks, in such a way where it consumes their lives or all social interaction. So why is it different for the Seahawks? Why aren't you equally as excited for the local tennis player, volleyball team, or chess champion? Why don't they swarm, yell, and plaster all their buildings equally for them?

And also why do they find constant football talk so thrilling? It is a good sport, like many others. But frankly it is over 100 years old, and the seahawks are over 40 years old. There are so many other teams in the league roughly equally as good as well. It would be logical that someone would be happy if either team won, and since it is a 100 year old game, its just not very important the outcome of the current game, since there have been many before, and will be many after. Yet the fans seem to defy this logic and often appear borderline psychotic with their level of engagement, mass swarming and seemingly screaming their lungs out towards whole world, as if the each current game is the most important event in their entire lives?

I hope I haven't typed this in any way that offends. We are all equals. I just am struggling to understand this illogical concept. Can anyone help?

Polaris

Reaction score
If you don't understand any of that, then why are you here? Honest question.

OP
OP
T

treesquirrel

Reaction score
Polaris":1xlpodxg said:

Because it seemed like the best place to ask, since this is a gathering place for the people I am asking about.

Sign37now

Reaction score
If you don't get it, you never will. Might as well chase down the meaning of life. Try to figure out women, something else as pointless as that...

TruHammer07

Reaction score
Nonsensical, manic, borderline psychotic, illogical..

Throw out some more hyperbole.

Worst first post I've ever read.

Sign37now

Reaction score
TruHammer07":3t9uetfr said:
Nonsensical, manic, borderline psychotic, illogical..

Throw out some more hyperbole.

Worst first post I've ever read.

Likely a Panther troll

2_0_6

Reaction score
What does being Autistic have to do with no being able to understand why there is such passion for a hometown sports franchise? My nephew is Autistic, and absolutely loves the Seahawks, and has been a fan since we took him to his first game in 2006.

I smell a troll here...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's a fair question .. one I personally don't really have the right answer for. Football is just a sport that a lot of people get really excited about and feel passion about. I feel like a lot of people feel a kinship through the sport, whether with their own group of friends.. fans at the game .. people they see at the store, gym, etc wearing that teams attire and so forth.

I guess the reasons behind it go deeper than that in its also engrained in our culture here in this country. I know outside of the United States the same passion and fire is felt for soccer.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
If you were actually autistic, it would be easy for you to understand how people can obsess over certain topics, given that you know....its a trait.

Intelligence, yea?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
treesquirrel":t0gp2t30 said:
Polaris":t0gp2t30 said:

Because it seemed like the best place to ask, since this is a gathering place for the people I am asking about.

Consider why you are passionate about the forms of entertainment that you are passionate about . . . Football is not much different from whatever those things are. It's an exciting, beautiful game that brings pleasure to a lot of people.

Seahawks under Pete Carroll and currently enjoying unprecedented success for his franchise. So as a Seahawks fan, it's hard not to be excited about this team.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't personally know anyone autistic, therefor I won't criticize the OP, or be rude in any way.

If the OP is a troll, it's probably the worst job of it I've seen; how completely classless to come across as someone that's disabled, but try to "get over" on another group of people.

That said, with the Seahawks, it's always been an under dog thing. We're up here in the Pacific NW, geographically isolated from the rest of the NFL teams, so it's been an "us against them" mentality towards the rest of the NFL. Before we were a "mini dynasty" we have been ignored and disrespected as a franchise.

I'm not sure why the rest of the country roots for us (those that do). I also can't explain why football itself really engenders such tribal reactions with fan bases.

kearly

Reaction score
treesquirrel":34x80tcf said:
I hope I haven't typed this in any way that offends. We are all equals. I just am struggling to understand this illogical concept. Can anyone help?

I apologize, it's natural in a message board environment that some people will not understand your condition very well.

To answer your question, it's about investment. It would be like if you got hooked on a TV series, you'd want to keep watching to find out what happens next. Sports is basically the same concept, except that it never gets predictable or old and it never ends. And the longer you partake in it, the more invested you become. And the more invested you become, the more you care about the outcomes.

People who wave flags or facepaint, etc. It's fairly similar to people who dress up when they see Star Wars. If you are a huge fan of something, you become increasingly comfortable with making public displays of affection for that thing.

Lastly, and this is probably the most important part, is that human beings are generally wired to be tribal. We like people in our cities more than other cities, we like people in our state more than people in other states, and we like people in our country more than people in other countries. And since we aren't going to war against rival cities every few years the way that people did in ancient times, sports competitions has kind of replaced battles as a way of proving the superiority of your tribe. Which is kind of silly since almost none of the players or coaches are local people, but the human psyche doesn't really care, as long as they are wearing our color and waiving our flag.

And as to "why football", it's because football is far more popular than the other sports, therefore the investment and dedication to it is that much more felt.

Gametime

Reaction score
Because football is a lot like life.

We all struggle to find meaning and purpose along the road in life. We cling to social conventions and groups to find a sense of belonging and community where we can say, "YES, those are my people, my family." In our jobs we succeed, we fail, we make money, lose money, find joy, heartache, and fulfillment.....

BUT...

We do it relatively alone or in small circles of people.

This beautiful game of football is different for me because it characterizes the toughness and grit that success in this world can take. It abandons every thread of laziness, and a sense of entitlement. If you can't make it you are cut. We face so many similar situations like the toil we face in our homes and jobs. The biggest difference is that with football we are in it with hundreds and thousands and even millions of others who for just one moment can set aside the job and the grind and UNITE together in a common focus.

The stomach churning anticipation of kickoff and the not knowing which way the ball will bounce, who the hero will be, or who will remain victorious. We can learn from it. My 8 year old son learned against the Vikings that it is NEVER OVER and you NEVER EVER quit until the final clock hits zero. To experience that with him and ride the train of emotions and fear into the station of victory is something that goes with us long after the game is won or lost.

Football makes ME better. Now, I love the game. I coached high school for 5 years and as a combat veteran of the US Marines, I identify with the physicality and violence of the struggle.

The flags though are tangible expressions of unity, pride, confidence, and love with which we can all scream in one voice WE BELIEVE and WE ARE TOGETHER.

It's not unique to football but it's certainly my favorite.

GO HAWKS.

OP
OP
T

treesquirrel

Reaction score
Update - I'm not a troll. It may not be completely fluent grammer, as I typed it quickly based on my thoughts without major revisions.

People say I should understand, but I don't yet, because I am good at understanding logical things. There are many different things I like, some a bit better than others, but I like them all within balance. When it comes to football/seahawks, people seem completely off balance with their extreme level of passion so incredibly above and beyond any other related interests to a point beyond any logic which I can see.

Gametime

Reaction score
treesquirrel":35s5lgpp said:
Update - I'm not a troll. It may not be completely fluent grammer, as I typed it quickly based on my thoughts without major revisions.

People say I should understand, but I don't yet, because I am good at understanding logical things. There are many different things I like, some a bit better than others, but I like them all within balance. When it comes to football/seahawks, people seem completely off balance with their extreme level of passion so incredibly above and beyond any other related interests to a point beyond any logic which I can see.

I actually love your question. I responded above. It's actually a great thing to think about "Why we do what we do".

Refreshing after all the "will he play won't he play" stuff.

Gametime

Reaction score
kearly":2rfzlxgb said:
treesquirrel":2rfzlxgb said:

I apologize, it's natural in a message board environment that some people will not understand your condition very well.

To answer your question, it's about investment. It would be like if you got hooked on a TV series, you'd want to keep watching to find out what happens next. Sports is basically the same concept, except that it never gets predictable or old and it never ends. And the longer you partake in it, the more invested you become. And the more invested you become, the more you care about the outcomes.

People who wave flags or facepaint, etc. It's fairly similar to people who dress up when they see Star Wars. If you are a huge fan of something, you become increasingly comfortable with making public displays of affection for that thing.

Lastly, and this is probably the most important part, is that human beings are generally wired to be tribal. We like people in our cities more than other cities, we like people in our state more than people in other states, and we like people in our country more than people in other countries. And since we aren't going to war against rival cities every few years the way that people did in ancient times, sports competitions has kind of replaced battles as a way of proving the superiority of your tribe. Which is kind of silly since almost none of the players or coaches are local people, but the human psyche doesn't really care, as long as they are wearing our color and waiving our flag.

And as to "why football", it's because football is far more popular than the other sports, therefore the investment and dedication to it is that much more felt.

:13:

Polaris

Reaction score
treesquirrel":1pgec4bv said:
Polaris":1pgec4bv said:

The reason I am asking is if you truly didn't understand all of this, then I am struggling to understand, logically mind you, why you'd even care enough about the Seahawks, or football in general to even be here (or find this place).

If you do care enough to root for a team and thus find this place, then it places your entire original post in a less than flattering light.

Gametime

Reaction score
Polaris":mk7oe0s8 said:
treesquirrel":mk7oe0s8 said:
Polaris":mk7oe0s8 said:

The reason I am asking is if you truly didn't understand all of this, then I am struggling to understand, logically mind you, why you'd even care enough about the Seahawks, or football in general to even be here (or find this place).

If you do care enough to root for a team and thus find this place, then it places your entire original post in a less than flattering light.

I think it's impossible for even a completely NON football fan to not notice all the fandom and pride in the city. For someone who doesn't connect as those around them seem to do I think it's a very honest question.

Especially being autistic, I find it brave to ask and try to understand rather than just ignore it. That's my take anyway.