Why do people go so crazy for the Seahawks?

hawkfansam

Reaction score
You are the worst kind of troll. I've been a member of this forum for 6 years. While I may not post very often I visit frequently. You are the worst human being I have come by here. I would say you deserve an award, but that is too large an honor for someone like you.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawkfansam":1631hqwe said:
I work daily with people who have autism. This is the highest functioning person with autism I've come by. The spectrum is very wide... But really?

I just assumed he meant he had Asperger's Syndome, which some people consider to be on the austism spectrum.

It is curious though why he said "autistic," as opposed to Asperger's Syndome.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think there are myriad reasons and it will be somewhat different for each person.

Baseball was the original sport that was most popular in the US, but football has overtaken it in the last 20 years or so. Both sports fulfill that "tribal" tendency that has been mentioned, and both tend to have a family aspect as well--parents watch with their kids, who then grow up and watch with their own kids and so on.

Football also fills a "need" of sorts, or at least a tendency, towards violence that the human race unfortunately seems stuck with. In a way, it's sort of the modern day gladiatorial games, but not as deadly.

As others have mentioned, the sport also can teach both players and spectators about teamwork and perseverance.

There also can be admiration for the unique physical aspects of the sport--a beautiful touchdown throw or a perfect form tackle, a fantastic run play like the Beastquake or an acrobatic catch like Doug Baldwin made on Sunday--these are a physical art for some and they're unique to football.

Ultimately it can be hard to pin down the precise reasons. Why do some people prefer to experience all four seasons and others don't want anything to do with winter? They just do. There's some sort of chemical reaction and perhaps even a genetic component somewhere that flips a switch in them and their brains and bodies say, "woo!"

In our increasingly complicated world, "woo" can be hard to come by sometimes.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There is almost no such thing as a logical person.

And this guy is not Spock. But if he really is, this is hardly the first illogical thing he has come across.

He is wookin pa nub in aww de wong paces.

2_0_6

Reaction score
hawkfansam":1z7cj89j said:
I work daily with people who have autism. This is the highest functioning person with autism I've come by. The spectrum is very wide... But really?

:13:

My nephew is a smart kid who's autism is not as severe as some cases, but there is no way he could post such in depth, full length, thoughtful paragraphs.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":yhc4fug7 said:

And this guy is not Spock. But if he really is, this is hardly the first illogical thing he has come across.

It's not a question of logic; it's a question of differing value judgments. To believe that fandom is illogical requires an underlying assumption, i.e. that human should make every decision based on utility, that emotional attachment is wrong, etc.

Geologic

Reaction score
treesquirrel":n8ljcuc0 said:
Maybe it is my Autism
Well there it is.

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction,

So you have difficulties with understanding social interaction but you act be-wild about why people love the social interaction of sports?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3349g6gz said:
Scottemojo":3349g6gz said:

It's not a question of logic; it's a question of differing value judgments. To believe that fandom is illogical requires an underlying assumption, i.e. that human should make every decision based on utility, that emotional attachment is wrong, etc.
OP said logic, not me. I actually agree with you.
Humans are a mixed up bag of mixed up. Which is why I am suspicious of spock.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I couldn't afford a ticket to a Seahawks game, so I went to the ballet instead...they didn't appreciate my screaming and yelling and going crazy. Same thing happened at the chess finals...some activities don't appreciate true fans.

I even wore my tutu and nerd glasses...

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The winning has been mentioned, and of course when a local team wins, or stands a very good chance of winning, the die hard fans are extra excited, the peripheral fans become more interested, and the bandwagon fans pile on. That's probably that tribal thing.

For me, football is an exciting sport in that, no other sport I know of is quite as complex. It is more "chess-like" than any other sport. So many different positions take totally different skill sets. There are more than just one way to move the ball. More ways to score than in any other sport I know of and many of the positions require a great deal of athleticism. It's slow paced enough to be easy to follow, but fast paced enough it's never boring.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
treesquirrel":2e6ho9jx said:
Update - I'm not a troll. It may not be completely fluent grammer, as I typed it quickly based on my thoughts without major revisions.

People say I should understand, but I don't yet, because I am good at understanding logical things. There are many different things I like, some a bit better than others, but I like them all within balance. When it comes to football/seahawks, people seem completely off balance with their extreme level of passion so incredibly above and beyond any other related interests to a point beyond any logic which I can see.

Thank you for taking the time to post here. As a teacher and former mental health counselor, I understand autism fairly well and have worked with many youngsters who have it to varying degrees. The point that you bring up here is critical for folks to understand when dealing with people who have autism. Often times they struggle to understand emotional concepts. Feelings can be difficult for them to process at times. That said, many are EXTREMELY smart and tend to be very logic oriented. Not knowing and not being able to understand social and emotional situations can really tend to stick in their craw. So, treesquirrel's questions here are very natural for someone with autism.

So, to you I would echo what many have said in saying that the emotional side of football is going to be hard for me to accurately convey to you. In many ways, it would be like trying to describe what a rose smelled like to someone who had no sense of smell. Some things have to be experienced to be fully understood. That said, I don't believe that you have to necessary be able to FEEL something about a sport in order to really like or at the very least appreciate it. You can definitely learn to appreciate sports from a purely intellectual standpoint. For me, Seahawks football is something that I literally grew up with. From the time I was 7 years old and moved to Washington State, I was exposed to the NFL and began following this team. I was immersed in it, gained an appreciation for the amazing skill of players like Steve Largent, Curt Warner, and others. I’ve followed this team my whole life and learned to really love football from a young age.

That wasn’t the case with me with baseball. When I was young, I tried watching the sport a few times on my own and absolutely could not for the life of me figure out what in the world the attraction was. I couldn’t figure out what was going on, it looked boring, like nothing was happening, etc. It made no sense to me. It wasn’t until I was 15 years old that that chanced. One day, I was over at a good friend of mine’s house (who was a die hard Braves fan) and he was watching a baseball game when I came over. The two of us got to talking and I confessed to him that to me, the game seemed boring, slow, made little sense, and I had absolute no idea what was really going on. He proceeded to spend the next 2 hours or so explaining in great detail what was happening as we watched the game together.

That one conversation ended up changing everything for me with baseball, as all of a sudden it was like a light switch had been turned on. I came to understand that though it looked like nothing was happening ... in reality the game was a lot like chess (and I love chess). Though it SEEMED as though nothing was happening, in reality quite a bit was happening. I came to understand the game within the game – the mental aspect of the game. There was all these moves and counter moves happening all the time that I had never understood before. Once I understood the logic behind the game (I tend to be pretty intellectual/analytical/logical myself when it comes to games and sports) … I really began to appreciate and actually like the game from a strategy standpoint.

I’m wondering if the same thing might be true with you as well. I’m wondering, do you understand the game itself and what’s happening? If not, you might be surprised to learn that football (unlike how it might appear on the surface) is in reality a whole lot like chess. Offenses and defenses have many complicated moving parts and once you understand the complexities of that … and begin to grasp the chess match of what’s happening on the field between offense and defense … the game may actually perhaps start to interest you. There is a ton of strategy and skill involved – moves, counter moves, guessing what your opponent is going to do, trying to out think/outperform them, etc.

I don’t know if that describes you or not when it comes to football, but in case it does, here is a short youtube video that someone did that explains some of the very basic concepts of football. Now, when it comes to NFL football, offenses and defenses and the way they operate can be a whole lot more complicated. This is a fairly basic description of football positions …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zanr8sETHdQ

Perhaps if you’re not understanding the game itself … you could eventually learn to appreciate it once you grasp what’s going on.

I wish that you could interact with some of the great football minds on this forum in person so that we could help answer any questions you might have. Forums like these can be such a clumsy and inefficient way to interact. I don’t know if I was on the money with my post … or way off base. Let me know if there are any questions you might have when it comes football in general or the Seahawks specifically. I’d love to try to take a stab at helping answer any you might have.

Veilside

Reaction score
Treesquirrel, I just wanted to say welcome to .NET and bringing up a good topic to discuss. I too have thoughts like this as I consider myself a very logical thinker. For my fandom, I choose to ignore them even though deep down I know it doesn't really make any logical sense to only care about 1 team when there are so many other teams with great things about them that other people are just as passionate about. I ignore these thoughts because it is fun to root for a favorite team and it gives me something to look forward to.

Tical21

Reaction score
Welcome. My son is autistic as well. It's a cool question to ask. I'll give it my theory.

In the old days, the baseball players were the coolest guys on the planet. Everybody wanted to be Joe Dimaggio. Everybody wanted to hang out with Babe Ruth. Nowadays, football players are the coolest. Why football and not volleyball? Football players are the most bad-arse, cool guys of them all. We're all incredibly jealous. We all wish we were that good, that cool. We all wish we had what it takes to physically dominate someone and get the girl. We live through these guys, and those three hours that we watch them allows us to escape from our normal lives and step vicariously into a world that we crave.

Why the Seahawks? Well, because most of us are from Seattle. Why the Seahawks craze? One, because they're good, really good, better than they ever have been, and two, because they're the coolest team of all the teams, with the coolest guys in the league, maybe some of the coolest athletes on the planet. How much fun would it be to be Richard Sherman? Marshawn Lynch is quite possibly the baddest dude on the planet. Russell Wilson is dating Ciara. Earl Thomas is so cool he doesn't even have to try to be cool. Our coach is a cool version of Richard Simmons.

Me, until I was 15 years old I rarely thought about anything other than playing QB in the NFL someday. If asked, I think a lot of guys would pick some other job as their dream job, but I don't think any of them are being honest. I think just about everybody here would rather be playing for the Hawks than doing anything else. Since we can't, we have to celebrate their victories with them as well as share in their defeat.

Rob12

Reaction score
Tical21":g6t80p2f said:
Welcome. My son is autistic as well. It's a cool question to ask. I'll give it my theory.

In the old days, the baseball players were the coolest guys on the planet. Everybody wanted to be Joe Dimaggio. Everybody wanted to hang out with Babe Ruth. Nowadays, football players are the coolest. Why football and not volleyball? Football players are the most bad-arse, cool guys of them all. We're all incredibly jealous. We all wish we were that good, that cool. We all wish we had what it takes to physically dominate someone and get the girl. We live through these guys, and those three hours that we watch them allows us to escape from our normal lives and step vicariously into a world that we crave.

Why the Seahawks? Well, because most of us are from Seattle. Why the Seahawks craze? One, because they're good, really good, better than they ever have been, and two, because they're the coolest team of all the teams, with the coolest guys in the league, maybe some of the coolest athletes on the planet. How much fun would it be to be Richard Sherman? Marshawn Lynch is quite possibly the baddest dude on the planet. Russell Wilson is dating Ciara. Earl Thomas is so cool he doesn't even have to try to be cool. Our coach is a cool version of Richard Simmons.

Me, until I was 15 years old I rarely thought about anything other than playing QB in the NFL someday. If asked, I think a lot of guys would pick some other job as their dream job, but I don't think any of them are being honest. I think just about everybody here would rather be playing for the Hawks than doing anything else. Since we can't, we have to celebrate their victories with them as well as share in their defeat.

You're easily one of my top three favorite posters on .NET. Well put.

At the end of the day, it's indescribable for me. I just love them. It's one of those unexplained things in life. I feel it in my heart, my gut, my head. I just love this damn team.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The game of football, and it's players have astronomically evolved from it's conception.
My Wife use to do the head shake and rolling eyes whenever I insisted on sitting down to watch the Seahawks play.
It wasn't until I started teaching her about some of the intricacies of the game, and that each and every player had a different, and specific role to play in the games, that she took the time to try and understand ,I think because she cared about me and my interests :shock:
I taught her the basics of the game, and told her that it was a lot more complex than what meets the eye.
Each player spends YEARS of mental, and physical training & conditioning that was specific to each and every position on the team.
It's a fact that there are more players that wash out than the ones who are good enough to make the grade.
Almost every single player in the NFL has to be exceptionally athletic, and on top of that they have to be able to mentally absorb the action/reaction while playing at full speed...Play, after play, after play.
Watching some players make an astonishing play that almost defies belief ( like Doug Baldwin's extraordinary leaping catch last Sunday) is what keeps me glued to the TV.
Lot's of complexities in the game of Football that I get caught up in, so I guess that's why it's kind of hard for me to understand how some people can't seem to emote.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Have you ever been in any sports stadium with passionate fans? When you first walk into the stadium, when you see the field (or court or whatever) for the first time and when people all around you are getting extremely into it it just feels amazing.

I've yet to be able to attend a football game due to the ridiculous prices of travelling to the US but soccer is pretty much the european equivalent of football in terms of hype among the people. Every game I went to it was always great, you were part of something bigger.