Why do the Rams have our number?

Fade

Reaction score
For the same reason we seem to have had the 49ers number. Matchups.
We matched up well w/ the Niners, and not very well with the Rams.

Not just in terms of roster but style of play and tendencies of the staff.

Expecting that to change makes no sense. We MIGHT beat the Rams despite the above, but expecting it makes little sense given the beatdown they gave us.

Russell Wilson. 49ers struggle against scrambling QBs.

No more Russell Wilson, no more beating the 49ers.

Fade

Reaction score
Because they are better than us now that we don't have a top 5 qb any longer. Stafford > Geno.

The damage control on this site needs to stop.

The Rams have a bunch of starters on defense that are undrafted / late rd nobodies.

Meanwhile, Seattle has 1st, and 2nd rd picks all over their defense, and will struggle.

It's coaching.

Via ourlads.com
Rams Starters on D: 22nd (22.7 pts allowed)

Jonah Williams | UNDRAFTED '21
Kobie Turner | 3rd rd '23 *Rookie
AARON DONALD | 1st '14
Christian Rozeboom | UNDRAFTED '20
Mike Hoecht | UNDRAFTED '20
Ernie Jones | 3rd rd '21
Byron Young | 3rd rd '23 *Rookie
Ahkello Witherspoon | CC (Cap Casualty from Pittsburgh)
Russ Yeast | 7th rd '22
Cobie Durant | 4th rd '22
Quentin Lake | 6th rd '22

Literally Aaron Donald and a buncha nobodies.

Seahawks Starters on D: 20th (22.3 pts allowed)

Dre Jones | $$$ UFA Denver
J.Reed | 2nd rd '16
Leo Williams | Trade 2nd rd + 5th rd from NYG
Boye Mafe | 2nd rd '22
Jordyn Brooks | 1st rd '20
Bobby Wagner | 2nd rd '12
Darrell Taylor | '20 2nd + 3rd rd
Devon Witherspoon | 1st (top 5) '23 *Rookie
Jamal Adams | $$$ Trade two 1sts + 3rd from NYJ
Quandre Diggs | $$$ trade w/DET
Rique Woolen | 5th rd '22

Not mentioned due to recent injury Nwosu, $$$ UFA from LAC.

The Seahawks have a bunch of 1st and 2nd rounders on their defense, and they will be ranking bottom 5 in scoring by December now that they will be facing 49ers 2x, Eagles, and Cowboys. McVay just might roast them again. What a joke.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Not even remotely close dude.

Lol. Well he's not 100 like Carroll so naturally he doesnt have as many games coached as Pete. McVay has two Super Bowl appearances with a win just like Pete. Has a .589 percentage the same as Pete. Has a .700 percentage in the post season compared to Pete's .500. McVay has an 8-5 advantage head to head against Pete. McVay is the youngest coach to ever win a Super Bowl and to take a team to multiple Super Bowls. McVay won coach of the year. Pete's never come close. Biggest numbers - McVay is 37 years old while Pete is 72.

Your right dude, its not remotely close. McVay is superior or equal in every category except games coached.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Even when Fisher was coaching, they beat "us" in 2014. I'm too lazy to look it up, but they were probably 6-10 or 7-9. It's weird and annoying.

They killed us in 2017 in Suckattle...kind of the unofficial end of the Superb Owl team....

cymatica

Reaction score
Mcvay is really sharp, and we he arrived in the NFCW, he knew that the team he had to beat was Seattle. Just my assumption, but, I think he focused his team building and strategy on beating us. I think that with Seattle being the 1st game of the year, it became the most important to him, and his whole preseason was focused on the Seahawks. So his team really got up for that 1st game of the season.

But after that, they started faltering. Why? Because they put too much emphasis on 1 game. I think we beat them, but it will be close. They are still a good team. I expect our defense to be the difference in this game.

Disagree. Essentially the same roster under Fisher played Seattle tough. When McVay arrived, the team instantly became better. He didn't construct a roster or dedicate an off-season to focus on Seattle at the detriment of the rest of the season, that defies logic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Because McVay plays chess, and Pete plays checkers.

Even Eric Bieniemy said last week before the Commanders game that the Hawks just play their style, and it's easy to see on film what they're doing defensively. You just have to beat their athletes.

McVay has no problems figuring out how to attack our defense, because we don't do a good job of disguising. Especially true with a savvy veteran QB like Stafford, as we saw on full display in the first game. Just picked our ass apart.

bileever

Reaction score
Some observations from the first game:

The secondary was very different. We had injuries at CB, so Coby Bryant got a lot of snaps, and he was truly terrible. Even Michael Jackson and Artie Burns played. Jamal Adams didn't play.

It looks like we switched to more deep zone coverage in the second half, after playing man-to-man in the first half and leading 13-7. Not sure why that happened, maybe Pete didn't trust Coby to hold up in man coverage.

Being thin on the interior line, both Jarran Reed and Dre'mont Jones played a lot of snaps against the Rams. Now with Leonard Williams, we have more depth, with Reed, Williams, Jones and Mario Edwards in the rotation. Jones played 29 snaps against the Commanders, compared to 55 against the Rams. Reed played 59 snaps, which is a lot.

Devin Bush shared time with Jordyn Brooks, and really hasn't played much at in the last 5-6 games. It was Brooks' first game back, and I think they were easing him in.

One big minus for us on defense is that Uchenna Nwosu had a good game against the Rams, and we'll be without him.

On offense, Cross and Lucas both left early in the third quarter and didn't return. Forsythe and Curhan came in, and you saw the results. Actually, the interior line was worse, especially Lewis, who got a 7.9 grade from PFF in pass blocking. I didn't know you could get a score that low. But that's from trying to block Aaron Donald, most likely.

Will Dissly only played 16 snaps against the Rams, and hasn't played that much this season, but saw more action last week vs. the Commanders. He might have still been coming back from his knee injury. And JSN played, but it was his first game, just a couple of weeks after his broken wrist. He seems to be 100% now.

So we're somewhat stronger and healthier on both sides of the ball this time around. Hopefully, that will make a difference.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Some observations from the first game:

The secondary was very different. We had injuries at CB, so Coby Bryant got a lot of snaps, and he was truly terrible. Even Michael Jackson and Artie Burns played. Jamal Adams didn't play.

It looks like we switched to more deep zone coverage in the second half, after playing man-to-man in the first half and leading 13-7. Not sure why that happened, maybe Pete didn't trust Coby to hold up in man coverage.

Being thin on the interior line, both Jarran Reed and Dre'mont Jones played a lot of snaps against the Rams. Now with Leonard Williams, we have more depth, with Reed, Williams, Jones and Mario Edwards in the rotation. Jones played 29 snaps against the Commanders, compared to 55 against the Rams. Reed played 59 snaps, which is a lot.

Devin Bush shared time with Jordyn Brooks, and really hasn't played much at in the last 5-6 games. It was Brooks' first game back, and I think they were easing him in.

One big minus for us on defense is that Uchenna Nwosu had a good game against the Rams, and we'll be without him.

On offense, Cross and Lucas both left early in the third quarter and didn't return. Forsythe and Curhan came in, and you saw the results. Actually, the interior line was worse, especially Lewis, who got a 7.9 grade from PFF in pass blocking. I didn't know you could get a score that low. But that's from trying to block Aaron Donald, most likely.

Will Dissly only played 16 snaps against the Rams, and hasn't played that much this season, but saw more action last week vs. the Commanders. He might have still been coming back from his knee injury. And JSN played, but it was his first game, just a couple of weeks after his broken wrist. He seems to be 100% now.

So we're somewhat stronger and healthier on both sides of the ball this time around. Hopefully, that will make a difference.

All true, but you HAVE to disrupt Stafford and make him move his feet.

That was really the problem in the first game, not enough pressure on Stafford to disrupt his timing. So he picked our ass apart with easy crossers all day.

Yeah it should look better this time around with Spoon and Adams, but the challenge hasn't. You let Stafford sit back there with clear vision and a clean pocket, it's over. Nakua and Kupp are gonna have 150 yards a piece.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Here's how we beat Stafford.

1. Sign some guy off the practice squad to our defense.

2. Have that guy lay a huge, dirty, late hit on Stafford that makes him suffer a season (but not career) ending injury. Dive for the knees and twist them.

3. Have the owner secretly pays that player $2 million dollars in exchange for the 1-year suspension and permanent negative mark on his playing career record, as agreed.

It's really not that hard.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks and Rams aren’t even the same teams they were 11 weeks ago. One example; Boye Mafe only played 43/81 snaps on defense, dude’s a menace to opposing offenses today.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
I’m excited to see what Witherspoon’s gonna bring to the table come Sunday, Lil’ Spoon is a game changer.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
YES you are.
LOL If anyone has ever told you that you are a deep thinker?.....LOLOL They Lied.

Your cataracts blind you. There isnt a person in the NFL that wouldn't choose McVay over Carroll. McVay is just to good with the X and O's.

cymatica

Reaction score
Because McVay plays chess, and Pete plays checkers.

Even Eric Bieniemy said last week before the Commanders game that the Hawks just play their style, and it's easy to see on film what they're doing defensively. You just have to beat their athletes.

McVay has no problems figuring out how to attack our defense, because we don't do a good job of disguising. Especially true with a savvy veteran QB like Stafford, as we saw on full display in the first game. Just picked our ass apart.

This is exactly why I roll my eyes when people say they need to just execute better.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Because they are better than us now that we don't have a top 5 qb any longer. Stafford > Geno.
They've beaten us with John Wolford.

It's not just QB play. They owned us even during Russ' best years.

Why? Because McVay knows how to attack our schemes. It's very basic. But when opponents know what you do, it's makes the job easier. Therein lies the issue.

Not only does he know how to attack our defense. But he knows Waldron & his tendencies as well.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is exactly why I roll my eyes when people say they need to just execute better.

Yeah I love Pete, but man I wish he'd just bring in a bad ass old school D-coordinator like other good organizations do.

Fangio, Spagnuola, get Quinn back, etc. Just a proper D-coordinator who's adept at running complex attacking schemes. As opposed to Pete's disciples like Hurtt who run what Pete wants, basic schemes predicated on being stronger and more physical.

That worked 10 years ago, but offenses and the new wave of super smart HC's absolutely destroy basic easy to read schemes.

bileever

Reaction score
Yeah I love Pete, but man I wish he'd just bring in a bad ass old school D-coordinator like other good organizations do.

Fangio, Spagnuola, get Quinn back, etc. Just a proper D-coordinator who's adept at running complex attacking schemes. As opposed to Pete's disciples like Hurtt who run what Pete wants, basic schemes predicated on being stronger and more physical.

That worked 10 years ago, but offenses and the new wave of super smart HC's absolutely destroy basic easy to read schemes.
I agree. I think that you need to gain every advantage that you can, and disguising your defense and mixing up your coverages can do that.

There is a sound philosophy behind having a simple scheme that is easy to understand and makes it easy for players to follow assignments, but offenses have become too complex for that.

There was an article on nfl.com back in 2021 that listed the teams that varied their defenses the most, depending on who they were playing. The Seahawks were not at the bottom, but they were near it:

I love Mike McDonald's "Disguise and Chaos" defense for the Ravens. I think he's the next defensive genius. He will be on defense what Shanahan or McDaniel is on offense. He became the highest paid defensive coordinator in the history of college football at age 33 for Michigan before going to the Ravens. (Another Jim Harbaugh to John Harbaugh connection.)