Official: Seahawks Cut CB Cary Williams

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yikes.

Guaranteed $7 million at signing. Big-time miss by the F.O.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/673967284243849216[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/673987000043593728[/tweet]

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Makes sense. Can't get him hurt otherwise cutting him in the off-season is a lot harder.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
another big money signing that has not worked out for this management team...lets just stick with turning 5th rd picks into stars....

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Cyrus12":biajwuj6 said:
so now Hawks are hit with a huge cap penalty???

Not really. This is the same as cutting him after the season, which was happening anyway.

drdiags

Reaction score
I figured this was going to happen. Just no way they could keep him on the team after the demotion. You saw it in his face from last week during the DBs circle. He had checked out. Best of luck to him, just didn't work out.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've heard we're about even if we cut him this season. We save money next season, so I guess we're starting that now.

I really hope the rest of the CB's can stay healthy. As far as I know, we only have 1 CB left in reserve, Burley.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
drdiags":32yi7tji said:
I figured this was going to happen. Just no way they could keep him on the team after the demotion. You saw it in his face from last week during the DBs circle. He had checked out. Best of luck to him, just didn't work out.

The hand writing was on the wall.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Similar to Percy, at least they can admit it was a mistake and cut their loses.

jkitsune

Reaction score
drdiags":ve0u3i6m said:

You called it. I thought you were exaggerating. You were not.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Crazy, Carroll/Schneider are fearless when it comes to things like this though. They'll cut bait so fast when they know its not working... I mean they'll just accept the mistake and move on so fast.

Something had to have happened behind the scenes too, this just can't be from on the field play.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
You win some, you lose some. So far, we have won more than lost.
We were MAN enough to admit and we can move on from here. I'm sure there is a cheaper and better option available out there, which we can train right and can be eager to compete and get a job.
Wishing Cary the best, whatever his next destination is.
Now, let's focus on what we got.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Was fine with the signing at the time. There was no clear cut answer at CB when the entire secondary was banged up at the end of last season and you saw how high Maxwell was going to go in FA.

A little surprised that they didn't wait until the off-season when it appear cap friendly... then duh, the season is almost over anyway.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":l2kadj39 said:
Cyrus12":l2kadj39 said:

Not really. This is the same as cutting him after the season, which was happening anyway.

Difference is, when the season ends, we don't have all the contracts we currently have. They must have reworked a contract or two, or they somehow worked out the signing bonus not kicking in until next year's cap, because we only have $1.4 million in space and we owe a cap hit of $2.33 million for his leftover signing bonuses.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1tv3iv61 said:
Cyrus12":1tv3iv61 said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for stating this. It's not a "hit" in the sense that there is nothing new adding to the salary cap. It's the dead money but it was already "dead money" once the season started anyway.

Now, who will take his spot on the roster?

Cartire

Reaction score
kidhawk":1t9oti04 said:
Hawkstorian":1t9oti04 said:
Cyrus12":1t9oti04 said:

Difference is, when the season ends, we don't have all the contracts we currently have. They must have reworked a contract or two, or they somehow worked out the signing bonus not kicking in until next year's cap, because we only have $1.4 million in space and we owe a cap hit of $2.33 million for his leftover signing bonuses.

Thats still comes out of next year as dead money regardless of if/when we cut him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":25p84njv said:
I've heard we're about even if we cut him this season. We save money next season, so I guess we're starting that now.

I really hope the rest of the CB's can stay healthy. As far as I know, we only have 1 CB left in reserve, Burley.

How are we even? We don't save any salary as his was guaranteed for this season? We are going to take a $2.33 million hit, the only question is if we re-worked a contract or if they somehow delayed the hit until next season. We didn't have the space to cut him as of last week according to the sites that crunch the numbers

kidhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":1yn3mhcx said:
kidhawk":1yn3mhcx said:
Hawkstorian":1yn3mhcx said:
Cyrus12":1yn3mhcx said:

Thats still comes out of next year as dead money regardless of if/when we cut him.

I've always read that it counts immediately against the cap when they are cut, so I don't know if there's a loophole somewhere that I don't know about that allows them to carry it into next year or if there was a restructure of a contract.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":12lfmw4h said:
Hawks46":12lfmw4h said:

How are we even? We don't save any salary as his was guaranteed for this season? We are going to take a $2.33 million hit, the only question is if we re-worked a contract or if they somehow delayed the hit until next season. We didn't have the space to cut him as of last week according to the sites that crunch the numbers

Keep an eye on Davis Hsu's twitter. He'll eventually break it down.