Russell Wilson is Elite | I'm Putting the Nail in the Coffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

zchurch74

Reaction score
This is why Russ is not Elite. very Good! But not elite!!!!

What’s your excuse for this? Take away the circumstances and that was dumber then the super bowl play.

There is nothing you can say or a reason you can give. He is also missing throws tonight. He does look great with his RPOs but he is not winning with his arm. To be elite you must be on top of all parts of your game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
zchurch74":20vybun2 said:

What’s your excuse for this? Take away the circumstances and that was dumber then the super bowl play.

There is nothing you can say or a reason you can give. He is also missing throws tonight. He does look great with his RPOs but he is not winning with his arm. To be elite you must be on top of all parts of your game.

One bad play after weeks of topping the charts and you rush back in here with this like nothing happened.

You think elite QB's never lose?

zchurch74

Reaction score
They lost a lot but they are smart enough to not make that dumb of a play. I’m. It sure people here know the meaning of Elite. Also, how many balls did he throw tonight that were not catchable. He has thrown here deep balls that landed out of bounds. He is not giving the receiver a chance to even make the catch.

evergreen

Reaction score
That was a scary stupid play. Like, real low football IQ. I’m sure the other greats have embarrassing moments too. Man was that bad! I remember him taking a sack at the end of the half against Atlanta in 2012-2013 and we never got the fg attempt. Lucky we didn’t need it tonight!

RCATES

Reaction score
My argument is the same as it’s always been on why Russ isn’t elite. He’s terribly inconsistent. Outside a few great timely runs he was god awful last night. Minnesota loaded the box and said beat us with RW’s arm. It worked for them for the most part. Luckily the defense was lights out last night. It could have been ugly.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Worst game of his career and the team still wins. ELITE

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
RCATES":2ijyohu3 said:
My argument is the same as it’s always been on why Russ isn’t elite. He’s terribly inconsistent. Outside a few great timely runs he was god awful last night. Minnesota loaded the box and said beat us with RW’s arm. It worked for them for the most part. Luckily the defense was lights out last night. It could have been ugly.

That’s crap. I never saw a designed pass, save Fant’s play, where a receiver had decent separation. Minnesota played unbelievable in coverage. This was far more a Schotty issue with a piss poor passing game plan than a Wilson issue.

I’ve seen a few games like this from Schottenheimer where the passing route combinations utterly fail to get receivers open. This was one of them. Fortunately he dials up enough good rushing plays to keep us in the game. But the passing game still needs work from a coordinators standpoint.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Mad Dog":40roxc87 said:
RCATES":40roxc87 said:

Never had a losing season.... How the hell is that inconsistent? Most wins by Seahawks QB... I could regurgitate this entire thread, but I'll let you read it and stick to your guns.

Your argument is invalid.

djb28

Reaction score
It is a silly argument. He is the best QB to play the position for this team, Ever. His great play and ability outweigh his mistakes since taking the role as a starter. His numbers prove everyone wrong each year. People need to find things in life that make them happy instead of dwelling on their perception of someone else all the time.

Apparently Elite to most people means that he is n fact "A Robot" and he will never do any wrong. Maybe we could sign someone like Cousins for elite money in the tune of 85 Million?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It doesnt help the detractors arguments when they are quiet qhile hes exploding then come rushing in here after a poor performance with "see! I told you!"

Literally any qb is subject to that criticism. Folks shoukd try and be more consistent in their arguments then the qb they are criticizing for inconsistency

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't really care if Wilson is elite or not ("elite" is too subjective, and I don't even know what it really means), but I do think Wilson's next contract is going to make for a crazy case study.

On the one hand he's undeniably a good enough QB to outpace other QB contracts when he signs (even guys like Matt Stafford can do that), but on the other hand the Seahawks just don't use him enough to make him clearly worth that much money.

Just for perspective, he's last in the league for pass attempts for QBs who have started the whole year, and 37th in the NFL for pass attempts per game if you want to measure it that way.

He's overall really good on the passes he attempts, but one of the reasons he's so efficient is because he's so secondary in the offense (why all his efficiency stats went down when the tried to make him the focal point of the offense the two years prior).

I just don't really know how you pay a QB of his talent who you only want throwing the ball 25 times a game.

I've just never really seen anything like it before.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
evergreen":zgn0xjeo said:
That was a scary stupid play. Like, real low football IQ. I’m sure the other greats have embarrassing moments too. Man was that bad! I remember him taking a sack at the end of the half against Atlanta in 2012-2013 and we never got the fg attempt. Lucky we didn’t need it tonight!

It wasn’t a scary stupid play. If Wilson doesn’t slip he had two open receivers on the backside of that play. But he slipped, couldn’t escape the rush, knew a sack or grounding ended the half, tossed it as far as he could hoping for a miracle or getting it out of bounds.

Once he slipped, the half was over.

You can argue he shouldn’t have tried to scramble but that’s not his DNA. We won the game because he decided to scramble in the 4th Quarter and gained 40 yds. You can’t have things both ways. You either get a game manager that checks everything down or chucks it away at the first sign of duress, or you get Russ trying to extend plays and make something happen for better or worse.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":14285ity said:
I just don't really know how you pay a QB of his talent who you only want throwing the ball 25 times a game.

It's actually pretty easy. You just look back at how Tarvarus Jackson did vs how Russell Wilson did on the same teams with the same players as each other, and the same philosophy as today. 9-7 and missed playoffs twice vs everything that's gone on since the start of 2012. Then you look at the posters around here who insist that literally any average or beginner QB could do as well and you just :roll: :roll: :roll: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Mad Dog":36brivt3 said:
evergreen":36brivt3 said:

It wasn’t a scary stupid play. If Wilson doesn’t slip he had two open receivers on the backside of that play. But he slipped, couldn’t escape the rush, knew a sack or grounding ended the half, tossed it as far as he could hoping for a miracle or getting it out of bounds.

Once he slipped, the half was over.

It wasn't a scary stupid play because Wilson slipped. It was a scary stupid play because if Eric Kendricks hadn't have slipped it would have been a pick six the other way.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3eyzrwe4 said:
I don't really care if Wilson is elite or not ("elite" is too subjective, and I don't even know what it really means), but I do think Wilson's next contract is going to make for a crazy case study.

On the one hand he's undeniably a good enough QB to outpace other QB contracts when he signs (even guys like Matt Stafford can do that), but on the other hand the Seahawks just don't use him enough to make him clearly worth that much money.

Just for perspective, he's last in the league for pass attempts for QBs who have started the whole year, and 37th in the NFL for pass attempts per game if you want to measure it that way.

He's overall really good on the passes he attempts, but one of the reasons he's so efficient is because he's so secondary in the offense (why all his efficiency stats went down when the tried to make him the focal point of the offense the two years prior).

I've just never really seen anything like it before.

I thought you would be better then this... This game aside he makes throws each game very very few can make..... He also has the intangibles you can't coach ... H es worth every penny he gets throwing 25 times a game.....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1lycis72 said:
I thought you would be better then this... This game aside he makes throws each game very very few can make..... He also has the intangibles you can't coach ... H es worth every penny he gets throwing 25 times a game.....

I think you might be misreading me and thinking I'm insulting him.

I'm 100% not insulting him, nor am I saying he doesn't make throws very very few can make (he's the best deep ball passer in the game IMO) or that he doesn't have uncoachable intangibles (although TBF I think that's pretty overrated when it comes to the best players).

One of the reasons QB contracts have skyrocketed is because offenses have increasingly become QB centric.

The Seahawks are winning with a decidedly non-QB centric offense, which I think impacts how much a QB is *worth to the Seahawks*, now how much Russell Wilson is worth.

In terms of touches they're basically treating him like a rookie. He's down there with Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen in terms of how much the offense is being run through him.

As a point of comparison, Marcus Mariota's next contract will ALSO be interesting, in that he's kinda like a D-List Russell Wilson (a fairly talented guy instead of an incredibly talented guy, but who COMPARATIVELY is just a smaller part of how his offense tries to win).

Maybe this is the best way to put it:

I think it's 100% obvious that if you put Wilson on the open market as a FA he'd sign the richest QB contract in the NFL, and be worth that contract. The question is if he's worth that contract to the Seahawks. I think they'll obviously do it, but the offense isn't really designed to have a 30 million plus APY QB at its helm in the way they're currently running it.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I had seats in the south end zone for this game. Seats in the end zone are great for watching plays develop. On the passing plays, receivers were not getting any space. ADB would have made a difference in the passing game against Minnesota. Russ had, undeniably his worst game. When things aren’t going the way you would like, elite players dip into their tool bag and make it happen anyway. Russell dipped into his tool bag and used his elite mobility to hammer home the win. That 40 yard rn in the 4th quarter was elite. Those that don’t think he is elite have their minds squarely focused in the box of the definition of prototype QB. Only an elite QB can find something when all else has been negated.

Seymour

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ptuwtfp said:
.....I just don't really know how you pay a QB of his talent who you only want throwing the ball 25 times a game.

I just dont know how you pay a QB $137 million for 5 years that has shown the league absolutely nothing. How is that working for you? :roll:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seymour":f3elojrm said:
Popeyejones":f3elojrm said:
.....I just don't really know how you pay a QB of his talent who you only want throwing the ball 25 times a game.

I just dont know how you pay a QB $137 million for 5 years that has shown the league absolutely nothing. How is that working for you? :roll:

Totally debatable at the time if they should have paid him or franchise tagged him.

I was fine with it because it's essentially a two year contract with three extra years of team control, and they had a STUPID amount of cap room to massively front load it with this year.

It definitely could have been a mistake though. Who the heck knows.

In other topics unrelated to this thread, I'm off to a meeting, but they're serving lunch, which they usually don't do, and is pretty awesome I think.

Seymour

Reaction score
zchurch74":pkrmrd1i said:

That was one bad play....get over it. Every QB has these from time to time. You should watch more football! :177692:

tom-brady-intercepted-by-antonio-allen-for-pick-six-b.gif

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.