Would you trade Carroll/Wilson for Reid/Mahomes today?

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hell No.

This Seahawks coach/QB duo has brought me more joy than any other.

My sentimental ways may cause me pain in the future but i own them for now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Grass is greener syndrome from someone that never had to deal with the 90's much and seen Dan McQwire in action.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":1bz8dcu5 said:
As for Russ vs Mahomes… yeah, you take Mahomes. They're both elite in virtually every metric. They're both high-end leaders, they win, they can make all the throws, they're both very improvisational and can make plays on their feet. Even those who feel an obligation to rip Mahomes to prop Russ can't even come up with any criticisms that actually involve his play, it's just the "he's got good players around him", "you can't prove he'd be as good on another team", blah, blah, blah. You'd have to be a special kind of delusional to not see how special he is. He would be spectacular in any system. If people want to debate who is "better" right now, then whatever, but what cannot be debated is that Mahomes is seven years younger, so give me that. Taking the younger guy going forward would in no way diminish what Russ has done for this franchise.

It's the age IMO that's the biggest factor, seven years is a lifetime of production in the NFL.

But if you took out age, I'd still take Wilson over Mahomes. More dependable, more durable, and production in SPITE of being in a far more balanced offensive scheme is very close.

But taking age into account? Yes, hands down Mahomes. I could never pass up seven more years of elite QB play.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":a6cs3o6l said:
Grass is greener syndrome from someone that never had to deal with the 90's much and seen Dan McQwire in action.
Ah yes any perceived slight against Carroll always goes to someone mentioning the 90s. You're forgetting something though, in this hypothetical scenario we'd be trading Wilson/Carroll for another premier coach and and QB combo. Reid has as many Superbowl appearances as Carroll and Wilson/Mahommes are both top QBs. This conversation isn't "get rid of Carroll". In fact Reid only has three seasons in his career that he has finished under .500. We wouldn't be trading Carroll for the coaches we had in the 90s. Now, this will never happen, and it's only a hypothetical.

I do think I personally would take the trade just due to the age of the QBs, though the salary of Mahommes is off putting. Mahommes offers more potential years of elite QB play just due to his age. Reid, I'm not the biggest fan of, he knows how to win in the regular season but often chokes in the postseason -- though Carroll hasn't been too good in the postseason since '14 either.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Largent80":3ng6knzz said:
I would trade jayhawk Mike for an accurate covid test.

Still a couple cans short of a six pack eh? Why advertise it?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Nope, Keep Carroll/Wilson.

Mahomes could still have his RGIII moment. So could Russ, but he's been very durable and available.
We just need to fix our defense, either way.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
So if I say Aaron Rodgers won 3+ Super Bowls in 2010 alone, people say I'm out of touch with reality.. but if someone else says they would take Russell Wilson over Patrick Maholmes, nobody calls them out for how crazy that is?!

C'mon, guys.

beaumaris

Reaction score
No. Carroll with all his faults,still ahead of Reid,and Mahomes(as good as he is)still a ways to go to overtake the leagues
best QB Russell Wilson.IMO. :2thumbs:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Yep. We have a case of "what have you done for me lately" going on.
Reid/Mahomes just got the SB trophy and suddenly they're a dynasty. Same thing happened for us in 2013. Lets add Belichek/Brady to this conversation. Which pair is the best?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Yeah, if anything Carroll only wins because of Wilson and an elite defense.

With Reid and Mahomes, Reid wins BECAUSE of Mahomes.

Carroll cannot win with only Wilson.

Carroll cannot win WITHOUT an ELITE defense.

And I am positive Chiefs fans aren't as frustrated the way Seahawks fans are with stalled offense in quarters 1-3, damn near, the entire game!

I absolutely disagree with Carroll's philosophy, "You cannot win until the fourth quarter" BS he sells cause you can damn sure lose the game from quarters one through three and cannot come back so far behind with very little time left.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I believe in Carrol's philosophy IF you have the personnel to support it. The thing I disagree with is the way they have gone about constructing offensive lines. Football is football, and football games are won in the trenches. Seems like they think having one stud on the O Line takes care of that.

Largent80

Reaction score
Lol.... Carroll can't win without an elite defense.

Last year's defense was damn near league worst.
Team went 11-5 and won a playoff game.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Yes.

I would prefer Wilson and Reid over Mahomes and Carroll as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":17qnnxdc said:
Yeah, if anything Carroll only wins because of Wilson and an elite defense..

11-5 and one drive away from the NFC Championship game last year with the #22 rated defense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 19/opp.htm

Yes, it's true when you have an elite defense you win more. But that's not mutually exclusive to us. Chiefs had the 24th ranked defense in 2018, and figured it out that defense wins......so they went out and got Clark and the Honey Badger. Voila, top 10 defense and SB.

Now they're in the same boat as Schneider and Carroll, trying to build a roster after giving their QB 20% of the salary cap. So we'll see just what an offensive genius Reid is now that he doesn't have his elite QB on a rookie contract.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Largent80":32pxusht said:
Lol.... Carroll can't win without an elite defense.

Last year's defense was damn near league worst.
Team went 11-5 and won a playoff game.
And then could not stop Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams at all!

Philly squeaked by to get into playoffs.

Wentz had no receivers to throw too.

That playoff game against the Eagles was not anything to hold your heads up high on.

The Eagles barely got in.

Carroll has yet to prove it is his system that wins championships and not elite players.

So far Carroll has come up short!

Carroll is so lucky Wilson is his QB.

Wilson alone wins Carroll 10 games.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sorry Admins....But this is really a dumb question.......Mahomes with a $500,000,000 price tag? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1omndv0u said:
Sorry Admins....But this is really a dumb question.......Mahomes with a $500,000,000 price tag? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You do realize that Mahomes very likely won’t see the entire half a billion dollars right?