Wilson's First 3 Years Are Arguably the Best in NFL History

Smellyman

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2nvegm2o said:
Anthony!":2nvegm2o said:
Willyeye":2nvegm2o said:
Hawks46":2nvegm2o said:
It's obviously because we have a good defense. I mean, the defense is totally responsible for everything Wilson has done on the offensive side of the ball, right ?

Sarcasm aside, I like what Scotte said. Wilson has benefitted from having Lynch behind him, but you play with what you're dealt, and Wilson has made the best of everything he's been given. People make a big deal about Luck's lack of a supporting cast, but most of the time Luck has been a QB, his OL has ranked better in pass protection than Wilson's. Also, it's hard to argue that Wilson has a great supporting cast on the offensive side of the ball.

Seriously, outside of Lynch, what skill positions do we have (or had) that are honestly above league average ? I'd argue Miller, Tate and Rice....and Rice only for stretches. He doesn't have elite weapons. It's honestly amazing how efficient he's been with the guys he's been throwing the ball to. Yea, some of that can be attributed to having a good running game, but only some of it.

The most encouraging stat I saw in that list was the comparison to Brady's stats. I honestly didn't think they were that low. After the last Superbowl, Brady is considered the GOAT.....but look at where he started. Wilson and Brady do have some common traits, and they start with work ethic and a desire to be the best. Wilson isn't like Stafford, who refuses to address flaws in his game. Many of us can find flaws and areas to improve in Wilson's game, and I'm betting he's already addressed those and is working hard to improve. He's probably found a few we didn't.

I'm not a fan of the max contact everyone of the media is espousing that Wilson will get. On our team, I'm not sure he's worth the most in terms of winning, but he's sure up there. But looking at those stats as a whole, it's hard not to argue he's worth a good 20 mil/year.

I agree with all of this ^

Especially I agree that Wilson will likely not be the highest paid player in the NFL. Having arguably the best first three years of any QB is a far cry from being the best of all time or even the best QB currently in the NFL. Wilson's passing leaves a lot of room for improvement, although his ability to run makes up for some of those passing deficiencies. But if he signs a 6, 7 or 8-year contract, will his legs still carry him in 5 or 6 years the way they do now? At some point, he needs to get over the hump and become a real passer, capable of leading the team without running. I believe he can and will, but I'm not the one making offers to/negotiating with Russ' agent.

He has already shown he can
I think if you took away Wilson's mobility, he would be a mediocre QB. He's got some elite attributes as a passer but he severely lacks in several fundamental areas. First thing I notice about Wilson is that he doesn't change the play at the LOS very often. Not a lot of audibles going on -- though to his credit he was making the line calls for a portion of the season. Still, I would like him identify what defenses are doing to him, and change the plays accordingly. Brees, Manning, Brady, and most of the elite QB' s have this ability, Wilson does not, and when he has I have been underwhelmed.

His accuracy and timing on certain routes is suspect, especially on short routes which are very important in today's modern passing game. He's not very good at timing on intermediate and short routes and he seems to avoid the middle of the field. His deep passing game is among the best in the NFL, if not THE best.

Wilson is terrible at managing the pocket. I've seen him sack himself far too many times for my liking, and he all too often does not step up in the pocket. I feel like he also bails too soon, too often.

He's a good QB, I would place him near the bottom of the top 10, but despite this he REALLY needs to develop those areas of the passing.

If you took away Rogers' strong arm he wouldn't be as good

RichNhansom

Reaction score
That really is the problem with the evaluation process. Everyone wants to take away his mobility which also takes away his ability to improvise. Smelly is correct, if you take away that one feature that makes any QB elite they wouldn't be elite. It is kind of a dumb theory.

Look I'm not a big Wilson fan like some. My favorite Seahawks QB is Hasselbeck and probably always will be but that doesn't mean I am willing to ignore what Wilson has accomplished or how he has done it. Fact is the guy has elite numbers because of his skill set and mental capacity. If you think he is not a cerebral QB you are burying your head in the sand.

Our defense and running game are just as benefited as Wilson from them. Look at practically the same team (actually with a better receiving corp) when Jackson was the QB. Look what Wilson did in the one quarter of play he had in the only probowl he has played in when he had elite talent to work with. You shouldn't ignore what he has accomplished no matter how he has accomplished it. Especially when you factor in he has been playing in the NFC west and with a less than average receiving corp to boot.

Does anyone think that the Colts make it to the playoffs the last three years if they are in the NFC west? Luck is a good QB but he has benefited dramatically from the schedule he has played the last three years and the division he is in not to mention the conference. Move the Colts or the Patriots out of their cupcake divisions and they suddenly don't look so superior.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Good summation, especially from a Hasselbeck fan. Look the deal is Wilson is an outside the box player. Like Montana and Tarkenton he's redefining what it means to be a quarterback in the NFL unlike say....Marino or Elway.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":2dzoin6r said:
This is stupid. I get to play the role of bashing Russell Wilson, which is never my intention. I like Russell a lot, but the level of legend he receives often doesn't match what happens on the field.
I get what you're saying, but the 4th quarter clutch performances we've seen from a very young QB argue he might well approach deserving legend status around here. It's why I'm so high on the kid and believe he'll be a first ballot. He's far from perfect and still has develoiping to do and of course hasn't succeeded in every 4th quarter clutch situation, but................well, kearly's post about how he's succeeded above covers it very, very well. Time will tell. What I know is that I've waited my whole Seahawk fan life for a true franchise QB and could not be happier that my team FINALLY got one.

As for your post above the one I quoted saying 20 other QBs could've won an Owl with the Hawks' roster, I'll go ahead and assume that's your opinion. I don't agree myself. That's my opinion.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Would anyone care to list quarterbacks behind Wilson in number of wins in 1st three seasons to see what narrowest point difference in a loss was.

Believe Wilson has only lost one game by more than 7 points; San Diego week 2 by 9 points.

For what it is worth may share more light on this during the slow part of the off season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1fp290di said:
Tical21":1fp290di said:
This is stupid. I get to play the role of bashing Russell Wilson, which is never my intention. I like Russell a lot, but the level of legend he receives often doesn't match what happens on the field.
I get what you're saying, but the 4th quarter clutch performances we've seen from a very young QB argue he might well approach deserving legend status around here. It's why I'm so high on the kid and believe he'll be a first ballot. He's far from perfect and still has develoiping to do and of course hasn't succeeded in every 4th quarter clutch situation, but................well, kearly's post about how he's succeeded above covers it very, very well. Time will tell. What I know is that I've waited my whole Seahawk fan life for a true franchise QB and could not be happier that my team FINALLY got one.

As for your post above the one I quoted saying 20 other QBs could've won an Owl with the Hawks' roster, I'll go ahead and assume that's your opinion. I don't agree myself. That's my opinion.

That is his opinion and he cannot prove it so it is worthless. As to not succeeding in every 4th qtr that would be correct, but neither has any other QB or player, so that would be about as bogus a statement as it gets. Also despite what he says if you look at his post history he takes great enjoyment in making derogatory statements about Wilson his pretense of liking Wilson is not true but instead his attempting to make us believe him more. Here are the facts Wilson has done thing no othger QB has with a lot less offensive talent around him then others. That is a fact and as such makes his statement about 20 other QBS wrong.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Anthony!":3kh9xz8v said:
hawksfansinceday1":3kh9xz8v said:
Tical21":3kh9xz8v said:

That is his opinion and he cannot prove it so it is worthless. As to not succeeding in every 4th qtr that would be correct, but neither has any other QB or player, so that would be about as bogus a statement as it gets. Also despite what he says if you look at his post history he takes great enjoyment in making derogatory statements about Wilson his pretense of liking Wilson is not true but instead his attempting to make us believe him more. Here are the facts Wilson has done thing no othger QB has with a lot less offensive talent around him then others. That is a fact and as such makes his statement about 20 other QBS wrong.
First of all Anthony, his opinion is not worthless. He's a thoughtful and reasonable poster which frankly you often are not on the subject of Russell. Yes, I believe Tical is biased against Russ but he gives decent reasons why he feels this way and thus his opinion is not "worthless' IMO. While I disagree with him pretty strongly, I try to give my opinion as a rebuttal and feel my reasons are also decent. Wouldn't hurt to lighten up a little man.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Trical is not wrong about Wilson having deficiencies in his game but all QB's have deficiencies in their game we just don't consider them deficiencies. For example Brady, Manning, Luck, Brees on and on are deficient in their ability to scramble and keep a play alive when the pocket breaks down or when they need a first down and no one is open.

Does Wilson sometimes scramble when he doesn't need to? Sure but does Manning/Brady sometimes step into a pocket when they probably shouldn't?

So far Wilson has not been elite at being a traditional pocket passer but then what QB in the NFC west has? What QB outside our division has been elite when playing against NFC west opponents? Make a comparison and then remove the elite talent provided for those you use in your comparison.

Saying 20 other QB's would have won the super bowl is really dumb because it ignores getting there. For that to be correct those 20 other QB's would also have to get this team to the #1 seed and 12 plus wins. In our division without a scrambling QB there may not be even one other QB that could accomplish that. Put Manning, Brady or Luck behind our O-line and with the receivers and TE Wilson has had and they may not last the whole year let alone get us 12 or 13 wins.

Once in the big game then sure. Our defense ruined the Broncos so yeah nearly any QB could have won that game but this last one was a much different story and with our defense giving up that 4th quarter I wouldn't bet on another QB to have changed the outcome unless the talent around them changes also.

dutchman063

Reaction score
Wait til we have a downturn in defensive production, Wilsons reputation will take a major hit

RichNhansom

Reaction score
dutchman063":ppon1f0g said:
Wait til we have a downturn in defensive production, Wilsons reputation will take a major hit

Based on what? So far the examples suggest the opposite.

What if Jimmy makes our receiving corp significantly better, will his reputation have an asterisks because of the better receiving?

So what if Drew Breeze has a significant drop off this year, does that mean he really is a below average QB that was just masked by his surrounding talent?

I don't think you understand how bad we need help at the WR and TE positions. Baldwin last year was probably our only real talent and he was a #2 being asked to be a #1 and working against every opponents best CB. Now with Jimmy on the field he will be required to do less while going against lessor CB's. I get the feeling he will have a big year.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3iws1vkl said:
Anthony!":3iws1vkl said:
hawksfansinceday1":3iws1vkl said:
Tical21":3iws1vkl said:

First of all Anthony, his opinion is not worthless. He's a thoughtful and reasonable poster which frankly you often are not on the subject of Russell. Yes, I believe Tical is biased against Russ but he gives decent reasons why he feels this way and thus his opinion is not "worthless' IMO. While I disagree with him pretty strongly, I try to give my opinion as a rebuttal and feel my reasons are also decent. Wouldn't hurt to lighten up a little man.

Sorry dude he offered no fact, stats or proof that 20 other QBs could have done with the hawks what Wilson has and that make it worthless. As for his decent reasons, none of the reasons he has posted are decent. To hate or dislike for hate or dislike sake is worthless.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RichNhansom":39dl24es said:
dutchman063":39dl24es said:

Based on what? So far the examples suggest the opposite.

What if Jimmy makes our receiving corp significantly better, will his reputation have an asterisks because of the better receiving?

So what if Drew Breeze has a significant drop off this year, does that mean he really is a below average QB that was just masked by his surrounding talent?

I don't think you understand how bad we need help at the WR and TE positions. Baldwin last year was probably our only real talent and he was a #2 being asked to be a #1 and working against every opponents best CB. Now with Jimmy on the field he will be required to do less while going against lessor CB's. I get the feeling he will have a big year.

An argument could be made Baldwin on any good team is a #3 at best. Lets look at last year and some QB and who they had as targets

Luck – 7th pass blocking o-line and has TY Hilton, Wyane, Nicks to throw to
P Manning- 1st pass blocking o-line and he has Thomas, Welker, Sanders
Brady 2nd ranked pass blocking o-line (ours is now ranked 28th) and he has Gronk, Edelman
Rodger o-line ranked 13th in pass blocking and has Nelson, Cobb to throw to
Brees o-line ranked 12th and he has Graham, cooks, Colson,
Ryan 11th pass blocking o-line and he has Hester, Jones, White, Smith
Rivers 16th o-line, and he has Gates, Floyd, Royal, Allen
Romo 17th ranks pass blocking oline, and he has Dez, Witten, need I say more.

And that is not even taking into account how much better those QBs olines were at pass blocking or the fact none of them played as hard a defensive schedule as Wilson did.

Anthony!

Reaction score
dutchman063":d36ie4st said:

You do realize our offense was top 10 in scoring last year right, also the year before and the year before, We have been top 10 in scoring every year since Wilson got here. And no we were not the year before he got here. So this should tell you even if our defense slips to middle of the pack we will still win. And those top 10 were without any defensive scoring.

Tical21

Reaction score
For the first twenty minutes of two playoff games in a row, our elite Qb was as inept as any playoff Qb In the history of the nfl. Twice. He broke his own ineptness record. Elite? Yeah, sure bro. Go chart some more plays.

Tical21

Reaction score
Oh wait, I forgot, your computer with all your charts broke and you didn't save them.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Tical21":drb36pr9 said:
For the first twenty minutes of two playoff games in a row, our elite Qb was as inept as any playoff Qb In the history of the nfl. Twice. He broke his own ineptness record. Elite? Yeah, sure bro. Go chart some more plays.

He's 3 years into his career and didn't get the luxury of sitting like some quarterbacks do. Young qb's make mistakes and have stretches in games where they struggle. It's unfair of you to bring up such a small sample size and act like it tells you anything meaningful.

Anthony!

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3y0059st said:
Tical21":3y0059st said:

He's 3 years into his career and didn't get the luxury of sitting like some quarterbacks do. Young qb's make mistakes and have stretches in games where they struggle. It's unfair of you to bring up such a small sample size and act like it tells you anything meaningful.

It is unfair and wrong, but that is what he does. He finds small sample sizes and then acts like that is the end all be all. He mentions how for the first 20 minutes in 2 straight playoff games but then forget to mention in one of them he did not eve thro a pass till the 2nd qtr of one of them. He will never understand the mark of an elite QB is not how you do when you are playing your best. Anyone can do well when they are on a role. It is how you do when you are not at your best and Wilson has shown time and time again that he can shrug it off and make things happen. Nor does he mention how Aaron Rodgers the supposed best QB in the game was pretty inept in the whole send half of the game. Unless of course 7/13 53% complt and 61 yards is consider great or something, for the supposed best QB in the NFL that would be pretty inpet. OR how about Manning in the SB last year and I can go one and on, add to that the superior receiving talent those other QBs have and the superior pass blocking. Every QB in the NFL including the elite ones have qtrs or even halfs were they struggle it happens. Its pretty clear were he stands, thanks fully the truth, the facts, and the stats makes it clear he is wrong.

Tical21

Reaction score
bigtrain21":136c3fwc said:
Tical21":136c3fwc said:

Agreed on all counts! All you did we're make excuses for him not being "elite." I'll buy all of that. He's farther along than he is supposed to be. He's an awesome young quarterback. But to consider him among the best in the game is delusional. You don't have to watch much tape to figure that out.

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":19i7n0k2 said:
bigtrain21":19i7n0k2 said:
Tical21":19i7n0k2 said:

It is unfair and wrong, but that is what he does. He finds small sample sizes and then acts like that is the end all be all. He mentions how for the first 20 minutes in 2 straight playoff games but then forget to mention in one of them he did not eve thro a pass till the 2nd qtr of one of them. He will never understand the mark of an elite QB is not how you do when you are playing your best. Anyone can do well when they are on a role. It is how you do when you are not at your best and Wilson has shown time and time again that he can shrug it off and make things happen. Nor does he mention how Aaron Rodgers the supposed best QB in the game was pretty inept in the whole send half of the game. Unless of course 7/13 53% complt and 61 yards is consider great or something, for the supposed best QB in the NFL that would be pretty inpet. OR how about Manning in the SB last year and I can go one and on, add to that the superior receiving talent those other QBs have and the superior pass blocking. Every QB in the NFL including the elite ones have qtrs or even halfs were they struggle it happens. Its pretty clear were he stands, thanks fully the truth, the facts, and the stats makes it clear he is wrong.
Who needs stats when you chart all the plays?

Why did Russell not attempt any passes? Watch the tape and come back with an answer. I beg you, watch the tape. Or check your charts. Quarterbacks have bad halves all the time. But the great ones don't look anywhere near as lost as #3 can look when teams make him beat them with his head and arm.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Tical21":v9sv1uyw said:
Quarterbacks have bad halves all the time. But the great ones don't look anywhere near as lost as #3 can look when teams make him beat them with his head and arm.

Aaron Rodgers would like to have a word with you. He isn't elite I guess.

This was 4 months ago.

" Rodgers completed 17 of 42 passes for 185 yards with two interceptions for a passer rating of 34.3 during the Packers' 21-13 loss to the Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium."