Wilson's First 3 Years Are Arguably the Best in NFL History

Anthony!

Reaction score
Willyeye":1mt3rkfr said:
Tical21":1mt3rkfr said:
His efficiency is off the charts. But has any team passed less often in the last three years than the Seahawks? Not necessarily Russell's fault, but I kind of think this stat alone would disqualify anyone, Seahawk or not, from being the best in NFL history at something.

Because everyone knows that pass attempts is the most important stat that QB's should be evaluated on, right? Besides, I think you might be confusing the issue...I NEVER said Wilson is the best in NFL history at anything...I said it could be argued that the totality of Wilson's first three years are better than the first three years of any other QB. To say that Wilson should be disqualified because his passing attempts are less than some other QB's (don't try to convince Montana fans of your theory) also ignores the fact that in just three years, Wilson is one of the most successful rushing QB's in NFL history.

Let's look at that logic: let's ignore the fact that Wilson is top 7 in NFL history in passing TD's for his first three years because he has less attempts than a lot of other QB's do; you understand that throwing MORE TD passes on LESS attempts is an even greater accomplishment, right? For his first three years, Wilson is ranked #7 in TD passes while being ranked #24 in pass attempts...that shows how truly great Wilson actually is. This equates to 23 QB's having more pass attempts than Wilson in their first three years, but 17 of those 23 were unable to throw as many TD passes as Wilson.

It kind of sounds like you are not a fan of the Seahawks style of football. The ultimate goal in football is to win games, not to see who can attempt the most passes. Andrew Luck has the most passing attempts in the last three years, and how many SB appearances has it got him? And that is a fact, even given the fact that Luck's schedule has been full of far weaker defenses than has Wilson's schedule over the last three years.

What some fail to realize is that with less attempts comes less room for error. For instance if you only throw the ball 25 times and start 1-10 you have to go 15-15 to get to 16-25 or 64%. However if you throw the ball 30 times and start 1-10 you can go 18-20 for a combined 19-30 or 63.33%.

dunceface

Reaction score
rideaducati":355ehxf5 said:
The current Seahawks play like dynasties of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Every dynasty won with defenses, run games and a QB that didn't lose games. QBs like Aikman, Montana, Staubach and Bradshaw all had top defenses and run games and stuck to smash mouth football. None of those QBs were ever on teams that were pass happy, but ALL of them won and all of them are in the Hall of Fame because they WON, not because they passed the ball more than anyone else.

I am quite content watching the Seahawks win with the same recipe that is proven to work. No matter the stats, I enjoy the winning.

People can rank QBs all they want and in any order, but winning is the ONLY thing that matters. In the history of the NFL, no QB has EVER won more games in his first three years in the league than Russell Wilson. It really doesn't matter to me HOW the games were won.

Does ANYONE remember that Matt Shaub threw the ball for 355 yards and Arian Foster had 102 yards rushing against the Seahawks in their week 4 matchup in 2013? How about that there were only 123 passing yards from Russell? Do you remember which team won?

:thirishdrinkers:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Willyeye":a6xvwtpu said:
Scottemojo":a6xvwtpu said:
Wilson has had the benefit of being in a very good situation for his first three years. I don't think admitting that takes any shine off his accomplishments. His clutch moments can't be taught, and there are times he looks like the best QB and athlete all in one, but he has had a great nest to grow in.

He won a job as a rookie, a job he began to win his first minicamp, when Pete started gushing about him. How many of the 32 teams would have slowed their roll on the rook and had him ride pine to learn just because? Probably at least 30 of them.

Like it or not, he benefits from Lynch, who genuinely scares defenses like few backs in history. Now, Lynch is not touching the ball every snap, Wilson makes plenty of plays that do not include Lynch, but what a good situation for a QB.

Wilson holds the ball and scrambles needlessly sometimes. It leads to both errors and spectacular big plays. Countless coaches would try to get him to eliminate the ad lib side of his game, but Pete encourages it at times. What a good situation for a QB.

I agree with what you say here, but would just add a couple of points: Lynch also benefits from Wilson. Defenses have to adjust their style of play when facing Wilson. Also, because the Hawks have Wilson, it allows them to have an O-Line that focuses much more on run-blocking than on pass-blocking. I suppose it could have zero effect, but it seems that ever since Lynch is playing next to Wilson, his game has improved quite a bit. Either way, Lynch is a beast and his ability to break tackles and punish defenses is more or less insane.

In addition, even with all of the advantages Wilson has playing on the Seahawks, he also has some disadvantages: the pass-blocking by his O-Line is horrible at times, and until now, he hasn't really had any star receivers.

Lynch's best years running and receiving have ben since Wilson came.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Willyeye":2u2664om said:
Hawks46":2u2664om said:
It's obviously because we have a good defense. I mean, the defense is totally responsible for everything Wilson has done on the offensive side of the ball, right ?

Sarcasm aside, I like what Scotte said. Wilson has benefitted from having Lynch behind him, but you play with what you're dealt, and Wilson has made the best of everything he's been given. People make a big deal about Luck's lack of a supporting cast, but most of the time Luck has been a QB, his OL has ranked better in pass protection than Wilson's. Also, it's hard to argue that Wilson has a great supporting cast on the offensive side of the ball.

Seriously, outside of Lynch, what skill positions do we have (or had) that are honestly above league average ? I'd argue Miller, Tate and Rice....and Rice only for stretches. He doesn't have elite weapons. It's honestly amazing how efficient he's been with the guys he's been throwing the ball to. Yea, some of that can be attributed to having a good running game, but only some of it.

The most encouraging stat I saw in that list was the comparison to Brady's stats. I honestly didn't think they were that low. After the last Superbowl, Brady is considered the GOAT.....but look at where he started. Wilson and Brady do have some common traits, and they start with work ethic and a desire to be the best. Wilson isn't like Stafford, who refuses to address flaws in his game. Many of us can find flaws and areas to improve in Wilson's game, and I'm betting he's already addressed those and is working hard to improve. He's probably found a few we didn't.

I'm not a fan of the max contact everyone of the media is espousing that Wilson will get. On our team, I'm not sure he's worth the most in terms of winning, but he's sure up there. But looking at those stats as a whole, it's hard not to argue he's worth a good 20 mil/year.

I agree with all of this ^

Especially I agree that Wilson will likely not be the highest paid player in the NFL. Having arguably the best first three years of any QB is a far cry from being the best of all time or even the best QB currently in the NFL. Wilson's passing leaves a lot of room for improvement, although his ability to run makes up for some of those passing deficiencies. But if he signs a 6, 7 or 8-year contract, will his legs still carry him in 5 or 6 years the way they do now? At some point, he needs to get over the hump and become a real passer, capable of leading the team without running. I believe he can and will, but I'm not the one making offers to/negotiating with Russ' agent.

He has already shown he can

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3p8wed0w said:
Wilson has had the benefit of being in a very good situation for his first three years. I don't think admitting that takes any shine off his accomplishments. His clutch moments can't be taught, and there are times he looks like the best QB and athlete all in one, but he has had a great nest to grow in.

He won a job as a rookie, a job he began to win his first minicamp, when Pete started gushing about him. How many of the 32 teams would have slowed their roll on the rook and had him ride pine to learn just because? Probably at least 30 of them.

Like it or not, he benefits from Lynch, who genuinely scares defenses like few backs in history. Now, Lynch is not touching the ball every snap, Wilson makes plenty of plays that do not include Lynch, but what a good situation for a QB.

Wilson holds the ball and scrambles needlessly sometimes. It leads to both errors and spectacular big plays. Countless coaches would try to get him to eliminate the ad lib side of his game, but Pete encourages it at times. What a good situation for a QB.

Well, that's what a lot of people wanted. A good situation for a rookie QB. Remember the post-Hass debate when I was gushing about Ryan Mallett?

Ashton kutcher laughing

Ahem, anyway, back at that time, a lot of people kept pointing out that we did NOT have a good situation for a rookie quarterback. Or at least not certain types. Our O-line was seriously suspect (still is, haha); we didn't know quite what we had in Lynch yet, at least not that he'd become the juggernaut he is now; and the defense was in a similar cautiously promising stance. Those were good things for Wilson to walk into, because he has legs. They were not good for Mallett, Flynn, or any of the other prospects we were looking at.

So just as Seattle was a good situation for Wilson, Wilson was just as good a situation for Seattle.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2qsewx9y said:

I'd like to take what Scotte said, especially that last paragraph, and go a step further. Consider his last paragraph and consider what the OP pointed out to start the thread:

- Wilson's TD% of 5.8% in his first three years is the 2nd highest in NFL history; only Dan Marino is higher with 6.9%.
- Wilson's INT% of 2.1% in his first three years is the best of any QB in NFL history.
- Only one QB in NFL history had more than one season with more than 20 TD passes and 10 or fewer interceptions in his first three seasons: Wilson, who has had three such seasons

It leads to both errors and spectacular plays. But the errors are in the form of stalled drives due to incomplete passes or sacks, NOT due to interceptions. And the spectacular plays lead to TD's.

Now consider what CHFF's had to say about football in general and how it was more exciting and high scoring back in the 40's and 50's.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... lls/33143/
The passing game in the 1940s, and right through the 1960s, was a high-risk, high-pressure downfield attack that provided big payoff (high completion average, high TD percentage) or big disaster (low completion percentage, high INT rates).

What we have in Russell Wilson is a player who makes those high risk, high TD percentage plays with the high completion average, but does so without the big disaster, the low completion percentage, high INT rates. We've got the best of both worlds.

RW puts the Seahawks in a good situation.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":ohwja9m1 said:
kearly":ohwja9m1 said:
Tical21":ohwja9m1 said:
His efficiency is off the charts. But has any team passed less often in the last three years than the Seahawks? Not necessarily Russell's fault, but I kind of think this stat alone would disqualify anyone, Seahawk or not, from being the best in NFL history at something.

Actually, some of Wilson's best games are when he threw over 30 attempts. Past history shows that Wilson actually seems to get better when you put the game on his shoulders. I generally think the rep count narrative is old school thinking that needs to be retired, but I would agree with anyone that says Wilson benefits from his situation.

As bad as his weapons were in 2014, they were pretty good in 2012 and 2013. Losing Tate was a major blow, and Miller getting hurt didn't help.

Now he's got Jimmy freaking Graham. And I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle added a "name" WR in the upcoming draft either.
I don't know that I fully agree with the stat or premise. Unfortunately, I'm going to throw QB rating into this argument, which I usually don't like to do.

In 2014, Russell had 30+ attempts 7 times, and had a QB rating over 100 in only two of those games. He had a QB rating of 100+ in seven games total. 5 of the 7 being in games with under 30 attempts.

In 2013, he was asked to throw 30+ attempts 4 times, and had a rating of 100+ in two of those. He had a QB rating of over 100 in eight games total, with six of those times occurring when throwing under 30 passes.

In 2012, he was asked to throw 30+ times in three games, and had a rating of over 100 in one of the three. There were 9 times that he had a rating over 100, and in eight of those he threw less than 30 passes.

Obviously, you've got a Happy Path element here. The passing game wasn't the only reason he was able to have ratings over 100 in those games with fewer attempts. I would guess the rating for most, if not all QB's drops as attempts go up. But it actually looks like he has many of his worst games with more attempts, although I just took a quick look at that part of the equation. It does look to me though that Russell is at his best when you run the ball more and pass the ball less.

I can tell you're not thrilled about using passer rating to make the argument and I'm not trying to invalidate what you said but what's not included in the post you provided is that of the 15 games you use (link below), he had a passer rating of 96.8 or higher in all but 4 of them (26%). Over the same period, Brady has had 25 games where he threw for 30+ with a lower passer rating (that's 53% of Brady's games over that span btw).

Russell also provides about 24% of all rushing yards - Lynch being about 56%. People can argue who allows who to produce those yards but let's not ignore the actual results. In looking at Wilson's rushing numbers in those 30+ attempt games, those percentages seem (didn't verify) to be pretty close.

Just calling attention to the fact that people are debating different things entirely. The OP is going to an extreme to prop up Wilson's accomplishments (clearly) but some of the responses are very dismissive of Wilson's actual contributions because he's not throwing 40 times for 400 YPG.

Like Kearly, I'm not a big fan of the total attempts/yards arguments.

In any case, here are the games being discussed:
http://pfref.com/tiny/2HaJW

His "worst" games aren't good but his good/bad ratio is clearly leaning toward good and I don't understand arguments that project less success for him than many "great" quarterbacks based on his track record.

Hope this doesn't come off as a "he's the best qb ever" post. It's not my intent just as it was not your intent to say he's a bad qb.

[edit] Not sure why, but the NFCC against GB doesn't show up in the results of that first query. Clearly a rough game from a passing standpoint so here's a link from a team based (rather than player based) query which includes that game.

http://pfref.com/tiny/cT2T2

Laloosh

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":373ys7y7 said:
It leads to both errors and spectacular plays. But the errors are in the form of stalled drives due to incomplete passes or sacks, NOT due to interceptions. And the spectacular plays lead to TD's.

Yes.

Best in the league when it comes to opponent offensive drives as a result of turnovers. 2010-2011 Seattle was 19th in the league in this category. 2012-2014, 1st. High scoring percentage + low turnover percentage

SalishHawkFan":373ys7y7 said:
What we have in Russell Wilson is a player who makes those high risk, high TD percentage plays with the high completion average, but does so without the big disaster, the low completion percentage, high INT rates. We've got the best of both worlds.

RW puts the Seahawks in a good situation.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't we avoid throwing to the middle of the field and favor stuff to the sideline in order to reduce the risk on these? Really wish I could find a site that charts passing by area of the field with search capability. Anybody know of one?

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
rainger":cf80in98 said:
A member called willyeye. Willy a term for Wilson. Joined the .NET March 30 2015. Hmmmm right when Wilson is in contract negotiations and they are still arguing over the contract.

The cynical side of me says what better thing to do than have a proxy go onto the .NET an influential fan location where fan pressure can play a part. I am sure the Hawks are monitoring this site.

I know that is far fetched but anything is possible in todays world.

Hey Willyeye I am with you I think RW is great. If things go the way I think they will, and I live long enough, I believe he will become my favorite Seahawk all time so pay the man.

EDIT: Posted in 2 other threads about Wilson and Wagner's contract.

My username is Willyeye because my name is Willy I (surname begins with an "I"). I tried joining this site a couple of times over the past couple of years and I never received an e-mail saying I was accepted. I tried again last week and it worked..so here I am. You can find my username over at Field Gulls...I've been posting there for a couple of years.

A little personal history that explains why I like Wilson. I've been a huge football fan for over 50 years. Grew up in L.A. and was a Rams fan from 1965-1993. Hated it when the owners of the Rams kept threatening to move away, and pretty much quit being a Rams fan. In 1994, I moved to the beautiful Pacific Northwest...I live in Everett. I've been a huge Hawks fan ever since I came here. In 2012, this kid, Russell Wilson comes to the Seahawks, and I was in awe. Watching Russell play made this old man laugh and I felt a new excitement for football. From the first time I saw him play, I knew he was special...and he has been special. I've spent entirely too much time over at NFL.com arguing with trolls...I came up with my Wilson list, and over the last couple of years, I just kept adding to it.

Anyway, regarding Russell's extension, I'm hoping that he gives the Hawks a hometown discount. It's not like the Seahawks want to deprive any of their players money that they deserve (PA can afford it), but the damn salary cap can quickly turn a team to shlt if they're not careful. I hope that Russell realizes that if he gives the team a deal, the team will be better for it, and Russell can make some money back on endorsements if they keep winning.

I believe that Wilson turned this franchise around...I think wherever he goes, he'll be a winner. If the Seahawks keep only one player for the next 10-12 years, that player should be Russell Wilson. He drives this team, and the team is way better because of him. If the only way to keep him is to pay him, then PAY THE MAN!!!

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Laloosh":n4vw22jo said:
Tical21":n4vw22jo said:
kearly":n4vw22jo said:
Tical21":n4vw22jo said:

Actually, some of Wilson's best games are when he threw over 30 attempts. Past history shows that Wilson actually seems to get better when you put the game on his shoulders. I generally think the rep count narrative is old school thinking that needs to be retired, but I would agree with anyone that says Wilson benefits from his situation.

As bad as his weapons were in 2014, they were pretty good in 2012 and 2013. Losing Tate was a major blow, and Miller getting hurt didn't help.

Now he's got Jimmy freaking Graham. And I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle added a "name" WR in the upcoming draft either.
I don't know that I fully agree with the stat or premise. Unfortunately, I'm going to throw QB rating into this argument, which I usually don't like to do.

In 2014, Russell had 30+ attempts 7 times, and had a QB rating over 100 in only two of those games. He had a QB rating of 100+ in seven games total. 5 of the 7 being in games with under 30 attempts.

In 2013, he was asked to throw 30+ attempts 4 times, and had a rating of 100+ in two of those. He had a QB rating of over 100 in eight games total, with six of those times occurring when throwing under 30 passes.

In 2012, he was asked to throw 30+ times in three games, and had a rating of over 100 in one of the three. There were 9 times that he had a rating over 100, and in eight of those he threw less than 30 passes.

Obviously, you've got a Happy Path element here. The passing game wasn't the only reason he was able to have ratings over 100 in those games with fewer attempts. I would guess the rating for most, if not all QB's drops as attempts go up. But it actually looks like he has many of his worst games with more attempts, although I just took a quick look at that part of the equation. It does look to me though that Russell is at his best when you run the ball more and pass the ball less.

I can tell you're not thrilled about using passer rating to make the argument and I'm not trying to invalidate what you said but what's not included in the post you provided is that of the 15 games you use (link below), he had a passer rating of 96.8 or higher in all but 4 of them (26%). Over the same period, Brady has had 25 games where he threw for 30+ with a lower passer rating (that's 53% of Brady's games over that span btw).

Russell also provides about 24% of all rushing yards - Lynch being about 56%. People can argue who allows who to produce those yards but let's not ignore the actual results. In looking at Wilson's rushing numbers in those 30+ attempt games, those percentages seem (didn't verify) to be pretty close.

Just calling attention to the fact that people are debating different things entirely. The OP is going to an extreme to prop up Wilson's accomplishments (clearly) but some of the responses are very dismissive of Wilson's actual contributions because he's not throwing 40 times for 400 YPG.

Like Kearly, I'm not a big fan of the total attempts/yards arguments.

In any case, here are the games being discussed:
http://pfref.com/tiny/2HaJW

His "worst" games aren't good but his good/bad ratio is clearly leaning toward good and I don't understand arguments that project less success for him than many "great" quarterbacks based on his track record.

Hope this doesn't come off as a "he's the best qb ever" post. It's not my intent just as it was not your intent to say he's a bad qb.

[edit] Not sure why, but the NFCC against GB doesn't show up in the results of that first query. Clearly a rough game from a passing standpoint so here's a link from a team based (rather than player based) query which includes that game.

http://pfref.com/tiny/cT2T2

Just so you know, for me, it's not about propping up Wilson. I don't think Wilson needs propping up. Here's the thing: I'm new to this site...this is the quiet time of year for football...Wilson will hopefully be signing his extension soon...most of the stats I listed were ones I've been accumulating for awhile. I just thought that this would be a good post for me to get my feet wet.

I don't think that Wilson is the best QB in the NFL...nor one of the best...nor is he elite. As a passer, I consider Wilson top 15. I think he has a ways to go to become an elite passer, but that he is capable of getting there (especially if a lot of the older QB's start retiring in the next few years). But I am impressed with Wilson's stats in his first three years. I just wanted to share them with everyone on this site. But honestly, these stats only show that Wilson has had a good start in his career. It's too early to think they are an absolute indication of what Wilson will become.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Anthony!":382fx30s said:
Willyeye":382fx30s said:
Hawks46":382fx30s said:
It's obviously because we have a good defense. I mean, the defense is totally responsible for everything Wilson has done on the offensive side of the ball, right ?

Sarcasm aside, I like what Scotte said. Wilson has benefitted from having Lynch behind him, but you play with what you're dealt, and Wilson has made the best of everything he's been given. People make a big deal about Luck's lack of a supporting cast, but most of the time Luck has been a QB, his OL has ranked better in pass protection than Wilson's. Also, it's hard to argue that Wilson has a great supporting cast on the offensive side of the ball.

Seriously, outside of Lynch, what skill positions do we have (or had) that are honestly above league average ? I'd argue Miller, Tate and Rice....and Rice only for stretches. He doesn't have elite weapons. It's honestly amazing how efficient he's been with the guys he's been throwing the ball to. Yea, some of that can be attributed to having a good running game, but only some of it.

The most encouraging stat I saw in that list was the comparison to Brady's stats. I honestly didn't think they were that low. After the last Superbowl, Brady is considered the GOAT.....but look at where he started. Wilson and Brady do have some common traits, and they start with work ethic and a desire to be the best. Wilson isn't like Stafford, who refuses to address flaws in his game. Many of us can find flaws and areas to improve in Wilson's game, and I'm betting he's already addressed those and is working hard to improve. He's probably found a few we didn't.

I'm not a fan of the max contact everyone of the media is espousing that Wilson will get. On our team, I'm not sure he's worth the most in terms of winning, but he's sure up there. But looking at those stats as a whole, it's hard not to argue he's worth a good 20 mil/year.

I agree with all of this ^

Especially I agree that Wilson will likely not be the highest paid player in the NFL. Having arguably the best first three years of any QB is a far cry from being the best of all time or even the best QB currently in the NFL. Wilson's passing leaves a lot of room for improvement, although his ability to run makes up for some of those passing deficiencies. But if he signs a 6, 7 or 8-year contract, will his legs still carry him in 5 or 6 years the way they do now? At some point, he needs to get over the hump and become a real passer, capable of leading the team without running. I believe he can and will, but I'm not the one making offers to/negotiating with Russ' agent.

He has already shown he can
I think if you took away Wilson's mobility, he would be a mediocre QB. He's got some elite attributes as a passer but he severely lacks in several fundamental areas. First thing I notice about Wilson is that he doesn't change the play at the LOS very often. Not a lot of audibles going on -- though to his credit he was making the line calls for a portion of the season. Still, I would like him identify what defenses are doing to him, and change the plays accordingly. Brees, Manning, Brady, and most of the elite QB' s have this ability, Wilson does not, and when he has I have been underwhelmed.

His accuracy and timing on certain routes is suspect, especially on short routes which are very important in today's modern passing game. He's not very good at timing on intermediate and short routes and he seems to avoid the middle of the field. His deep passing game is among the best in the NFL, if not THE best.

Wilson is terrible at managing the pocket. I've seen him sack himself far too many times for my liking, and he all too often does not step up in the pocket. I feel like he also bails too soon, too often.

He's a good QB, I would place him near the bottom of the top 10, but despite this he REALLY needs to develop those areas of the passing.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree with you Spin Doctor. His mobility is what is helping our offense counter against aggressive defenses and it keeps him safe more often than not. Look at our divisional rivals and what has happened to their pocket passing QBs, and then look at Kaep and Wilson both have survived the black and blue division because of their mobility.

Wilson has played in 3 seasons, let me repeat that, 3 seasons, he still have work to do, he doesn't have the authority at his 3rd year to be audibling out of plays as he sees fit on a consistent basis. I believe he mentioned where him, Bevell and Carroll would pick three assignments on each play and Wilson gets to choose certain ones depending on the formation. The problem with that is sometimes we don't have the right mismatch or personnel to make those plays work. How many miracle plays have Wilson made work when the play had broken down?

Yes there were times where Wilson could step up in the pocket, but I've also seen many times where that pocket collapse real quick as a free rusher is heading full steam right at him. I've seen him get hit pretty good standing in that pocket.

How could Wilson get the timing right for the middle short passes when the coach is all about protecting the football, and that is why they use the sideline passes more often than not. They probably don't get too much reps working on the middle of the field plays. You can blame Pete for being conservative and that might be a reason why Bevell is not allowed to make more creative plays than he would like, he might have a huge restriction.

If you want to see middle and short range passes to the middle check out the Week 7 against the Rams. Doug was crucial in that game as he was catching everything in the middle. Him and Wilson have the best timing with each other. What Wilson needs is others to get their timing right as well and build that rapport. Heck Richardson was catching everything in the middle halfway through the season before the injury.

I could also be totally wrong and you can be correct in your assessment but we don't really know, none of us do, only the players and coaches know what they have for a player. We can beat this dead horse but in the end we are saying the same thing over and over and over and having the same conversation about one player.

This year will be the first time that Wilson will finally have a #1 receiving threat, and I'm excited because he will be getting the timing right with Graham. If you didn't know Graham and Brees spend a tremendous time practicing with each other with their timing. Wilson and Graham will be doing the same and I expect to see that rapport in the field.

chris98251

Reaction score
Most Centers make the line calls, he was taking added responsibilities, QB's call defense alignments so the WR can adjust their routes and backs know what's coming. Also Pete and Bevell have had the leash pretty short with him adjusting out of plays, why I think the audibles are at a minimum, you see things open up when he's in the two minute offense where he gets to free lance a lot more. I think Bevell is Farve shy, Farve would audible like crazy because he didn't like or trust his calls. I think that experience has Bevell gun shy.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3avqk7a1 said:
I bet Anthony! is pretty mad that you're stealing his shtick. ... :stirthepot:

LOL I will fill in if Anthony! and Hawksurething are away, other than that Wilson is Wilson and who cares what people think, he will only get better, and with more rapport with his receivers he will start to become dangerous.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1u4ciryf said:
MizzouHawkGal":1u4ciryf said:

LOL I will fill in if Anthony! and Hawksurething are away, other than that Wilson is Wilson and who cares what people think, he will only get better, and with more rapport with his receivers he will start to become dangerous.
Oh, I agree especially since I'm a diehard Wilson fan. Word of advice just don't go full HST mode it won't end well for you. Sleep well Willy....

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":21gzm6pq said:
theincrediblesok":21gzm6pq said:
MizzouHawkGal":21gzm6pq said:

Oh, I agree especially since I'm a diehard Wilson fan. Word of advice just don't go full HST mode it won't end well for you. Sleep well Willy....

Don't worry about that, I called him out when he started questioning people's loyalty as a fan. Night night Mizzou.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
3 things.

1. Some of you posters act like entitled snobs. I get criticize the argument but those of who ridicule another poster for thier passion and dedication to thier work... And then question the validation of the poster... What is up with that?

So ungrateful... This place is slowly becoming webzone everyday.

2. This reminds of my "Russell Wilson isn't elite but has elite potential" post in the 2014 pre-season where I got utterly trashed on. I'm glad to see the argument still survives as I got a lot of unwarranted attacks thrown my way for an opinion based on facts. A lot of people thought of Wilson as a top 3-5 QB. But I argued that while he has shown that potential, he still had much to improve on, and just didn't have the consistency or stature of top level QBs just yet. And I'm unsure if Wilson progressed to that level in 2014 but if anything he's an elite winner, never willing to lose even at his worst.

3. Two Words: Jimmy Graham

Like Harvin, Seahawks invested plenty in acquiring him and thus paying for his services.

Unlike Harvin, I think Graham can be tailored into the offense and one won't have to be created for his ability.

And also unlike Harvin, Graham's strengths in size and ability fit well into the Seahawks weaknesses and specifically giving Russ an elite target that mesh well with his own ability. Thus strengthening Wilson's own weakness which has been passing over the middle and consistency in the short yardage passing game.

I think with Graham in the mix and the Seahawks possibly pursuing a viable deep threat speed demon your going to see the Seahawks pass more. With most of those extra opportunities coming from moving the chains and prolonging drives which equal more plays.

So I think this season you can see a passing attempt projection of 450-500 passes. Roughly 28-32 attempts per game.

And most of that reason I believe Wilson will also see an increase in attempts especially now that he has the perfect #1 receiver capable of being a safety blanket is That the team will complete his evaluation as a franchise QB and it will be the most important aspect as the team transitions on from Lynch and the offense becomes more built around Wilson. They will truly understand what he can and cannot do.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1rxhqner said:
Lynch's best years running and receiving have ben since Wilson came.

Yep^ otherwise, why didn't they just stay with T-Jack?...Maybe the Defenses pretty much knew that all they really had to do, is to key on is Lynch, because they knew that Jackson wasn't any kind of threat, because unlike Wilson, he wasn't any kind of threat at keeping drives alive with his scrambling.
And too, Wilson is more a threat than Lynch is with the ball in his hands, because even though he may not be able to pound the ball like Marshawn, he can pass the ball, buy time with his scrambles so his Receivers to get open, as well as run it himself for hefty yardage like he's been doing in the last three Years.
I'm not taking anything away from Lynch, but Wilson's athleticism is a plus for the running game.
And now we have Graham?....Wilson, Lynch and ALL the other ball handlers should reap big benefits for it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":yp8ycplr said:
He's a good QB, I would place him near the bottom of the top 10, but despite this he REALLY needs to develop those areas of the passing.
And he needed to do that WITHOUT having any true #1 targets to bail his ass out.
I mean all those other top ten Quarterbacks have done it without having any #1's to throw the ball to eh?