Why no Harbaugh interview?!?!?

onepicknick1

Reaction score
I get the vibe that Harbaugh is looking for the same kind of situation that Carroll had in Seattle. He wants complete control over whatever program he's going to be running in the NFL. Schneider is getting the opportunity to step out of Pete's shadow and make a name for himself independent of Carroll, a man of higher ranking in the organization than Schneider.

I don't think that Schneider is going to be rushing to put his career in the hands of Harbaugh. The only way this relationship would work is if Schneider gave up all of his power and autonomy. I don't think that the Seahawks are even going to look Harbaugh's way once.
Js wants this team back in the Superbowl. I don't think he cares how, just that it happens. If he leads this team as you're saying he'd be the next one out the door. Get good players and bad coaches is an instant recipe for disaster.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
He was there from 2011-2014 and in that time they went 14-4 (NFCCG), 14-5 (SB), 14-5 (NFCCG) and then 8-8. How is that not successful enough??
He inherited a team full of 1st round picks. A team ready to take off. He never drew up a single play on the chalkboard. He had Greg Roman and Vic Vangio calling the shots. He was a cheerleader who pissed off everyone around him. Contrary to popular belief many of the players didn't like him. Ask Richard Sherman about Jim and his time at Stanford.

Harbaugh became a distraction on the field as soon as the the first whistle blew. Officials couldn't stand the guy. You don't want the officials on your bad side.

I hope Seattle signs him tonight. 🙂

RiverDog

Reaction score
He (Harbaugh) inherited a team full of 1st round picks. A team ready to take off. He never drew up a single play on the chalkboard. He had Greg Roman and Vic Vangio calling the shots. He was a cheerleader who pissed off everyone around him. Contrary to popular belief many of the players didn't like him. Ask Richard Sherman about Jim and his time at Stanford.

Harbaugh became a distraction on the field as soon as the the first whistle blew. Officials couldn't stand the guy. You don't want the officials on your bad side.

I hope Seattle signs him tonight. 🙂
In addition to Sherman, you can ask Doug Baldwin, too. He nearly quit football because of Harbaugh. When news broke of Harbaugh going to Michigan, Baldwin was asked for a reaction. He said all of the politically correct things then ended his statement with "go Buckeyes!"

You're absolutely right about him walking into a full cupboard of first round picks. But it didn't last long. He had 3 very successful seasons then the team hit a wall, going 8-8 in Harbaugh's last season followed by 5-11, 2-14, 6-10, and 4-12. Harbaugh was handed a team full of talent then left them in shambles.

Any team that hires Harbaugh does so at their own risk.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
They built up Sean Payton to be a god before he got hired in Denver. It's going to take some time to figure out how it ends, but a lot of the shine came off him this season.

Fit and timing matter; if he takes another NFL job those things might not be good for him and it could end poorly. Payton did it a lot longer than Harbaugh and had to go through the ups and downs. Questions about how well Harbaugh would fare in less optimal conditions than what he walked into on the 49ers are reasonable asks. If he comes back to the league it'll be interesting to see how it goes for him.

If he does go to the Chargers it seems like he may get another situation where the roster has a lot of great players and the previous regime was underachieving, which could translate into immediate success for him.

The Seahawks are in a different place and it seems like it's going to be more of an uphill battle on the personnel front.

knownone

Reaction score
The Niners certainly had talent, but they also hadn't had a winning season in 8 years until Harbaugh showed up. Their problem wasn't Jim. It was Balke. McCloughan built the roster Harbaugh won with, and Balke failed to maintain it.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
@Sun Tzu I just want to point out that I just realized how funny you liking this post is
I coach and I've read The Art of War a handful of times. Had a bad season a few years ago and started contemplating which of my assistant coaches should be executed to set an example. Now I read "Keanu Reeves' Guide to Kindness: 50 Simple Ways to be Excellent" between Art of War readings to compensate. I figure the maximum number of Art of War reads for coaching candidates is 707.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Why would Harbaugh come here over the Chargers where he has an elite, young QB? No interest from Harbaugh = No interview.
QB is about all they have in addition to salary cap issues and the rest of the team is aging. Both the starting WRs have a cap hit of $30 million each with the team being $36 million over the cap. Charger job is overrated

RiverDog

Reaction score
If he (Harbaugh) does go to the Chargers it seems like he may get another situation where the roster has a lot of great players and the previous regime was underachieving, which could translate into immediate success for him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Chargers are in salary cap hell and will have some tough decisions to make going into free agency.

The immediate burden the Chargers will carry is $32,756,666 of the 2023 savings counting against the 2024 cap. The remaining $7,611,666 will be added to the 2025 cap figures.

The concerning aspect is that the Chargers were already in a compromised position regarding their 2024 cap. Assuming an 8% growth rate in the base salary cap, which was witnessed this year, it could reach $242,784,000. Prior to the restructures, the Chargers were projected to be considerably over the cap. When factoring in additional details such as $2 million in roll-over cap from this season, a $3 million budget for signing rookies, and a $7 million in-house budget, the estimate was around $45,000,000 over the cap before Justin Herbert’s fifth-year option was exercised. With the restructures, the addition of Eric Kendricks, and Morgan Fox, and Herbert’s fifth-year option, the team is currently projected to be $83,049,973 over the cap for 2024.

The Chargers will have to fill more holes in 2024 than they did in 2023. In addition to creating approximately $83 million in cap space, the team will need to find replacements for starters such as Michael Davis, Austin Johnson, Austin Ekeler, Gerald Everett, Kenneth Murray, and Alohi Gilman.

The only real advantage that the Chargers have over other teams, and the reason why the media is giving them such a high ranking, is that they have their franchise quarterback in place, the only team with an HC opening that can say that. Outside of that, they aren't that great of a landing spot.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The Chargers are in salary cap hell and will have some tough decisions to make going into free agency.

The immediate burden the Chargers will carry is $32,756,666 of the 2023 savings counting against the 2024 cap. The remaining $7,611,666 will be added to the 2025 cap figures.

The concerning aspect is that the Chargers were already in a compromised position regarding their 2024 cap. Assuming an 8% growth rate in the base salary cap, which was witnessed this year, it could reach $242,784,000. Prior to the restructures, the Chargers were projected to be considerably over the cap. When factoring in additional details such as $2 million in roll-over cap from this season, a $3 million budget for signing rookies, and a $7 million in-house budget, the estimate was around $45,000,000 over the cap before Justin Herbert’s fifth-year option was exercised. With the restructures, the addition of Eric Kendricks, and Morgan Fox, and Herbert’s fifth-year option, the team is currently projected to be $83,049,973 over the cap for 2024.

The Chargers will have to fill more holes in 2024 than they did in 2023. In addition to creating approximately $83 million in cap space, the team will need to find replacements for starters such as Michael Davis, Austin Johnson, Austin Ekeler, Gerald Everett, Kenneth Murray, and Alohi Gilman.

The only real advantage that the Chargers have over other teams, and the reason why the media is giving them such a high ranking, is that they have their franchise quarterback in place, the only team with an HC opening that can say that. Outside of that, they aren't that great of a landing spot.
Can you post the source on this? I want to see if I can go figure out why they're saying the number is $84 million. Sportrac seems to have all these things in consideration, along with Hebert's extension which has him at a sub $20 million hit in 2024.

Regardless, they do have some decisions to make. They can do things like cut Mike Williams; they can save about $25 million in 2024 if they spread his cap hit over two years. Mack's contract is expensive this year but this is the last year of that deal.

I feel like you're underselling the roster a bit outside of the QB; they do have Mack, Bosa, Allen, James, etc.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Can you post the source on this? I want to see if I can go figure out why they're saying the number is $84 million. Sportrac seems to have all these things in consideration, along with Hebert's extension which has him at a sub $20 million hit in 2024.

Regardless, they do have some decisions to make. They can do things like cut Mike Williams; they can save about $25 million in 2024 if they spread his cap hit over two years. Mack's contract is expensive this year but this is the last year of that deal.

I feel like you're underselling the roster a bit outside of the QB; they do have Mack, Bosa, Allen, James, etc.
Here ya go!

That one is from last spring, so here's a more current article:

Once a path is determined, the Chargers will have shed over $40,000,000 in cap space, but will still need to clear another $27,000,000 million to fill their roster, sign their draft picks, and have an in-season budget. This also doesn’t include the performance escalators for Asante Samuel Jr and Joshua Palmer, which Tau837 covered in his excellent FanPost going over the salary cap situation as it stood at the bye week.

The players you mentioned are certainly Pro Bowl caliber, or at least they were at one time, but you have to keep in mind that this is a roster that just got through going 5-12 and have won one playoff game in the past 10 years. When you factor in the salary cap decisions they're going to have to make, this isn't a very attractive situation to come into. It's certainly not like the situation Harbaugh walked into when he took over the Niners in 2011.

Last edited:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Here ya go!

That one is from last spring, so here's a more current article:

Once a path is determined, the Chargers will have shed over $40,000,000 in cap space, but will still need to clear another $27,000,000 million to fill their roster, sign their draft picks, and have an in-season budget. This also doesn’t include the performance escalators for Asante Samuel Jr and Joshua Palmer, which Tau837 covered in his excellent FanPost going over the salary cap situation as it stood at the bye week.

The players you mentioned are certainly Pro Bowl caliber, or at least they were at one time, but you have to keep in mind that this is a roster that just got through going 5-12 and have won one playoff game in the past 10 years. When you factor in the salary cap decisions they're going to have to make, this isn't a very attractive situation to come into. It's certainly not like the situation Harbaugh walked into when he took over the Niners in 2011.
Thanks, dude.

James in PA

Reaction score
710 just announced that Hairball and the Chargers are finalizing their deal. Could be as soon as today. Good.
One more piece of the puzzle falls into place. I really want Bill B to take that Atlanta job. The icing on the cake would be the Commanders going with someone other than Johnson or MacDonald.

James in PA

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be funny if Pete Carroll (who is rumored to want the Chargers job) swooped in out of nowhere and stole it from Harbaugh?? 😂