Why not more interest in...

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
A recent article is suggesting that Pete wants Poona Ford back. I really hope they sign him. Since Carters' draft prospects have fallen, maybe the 'Hawks are no longer interested.
We really need a nose tackle (or two) and Poona has been a good player from the start. Al Woods played well last year and I am hoping they will bring him back too...or, possibly we will see a nose taken early in the draft...there are some good choices!

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/4/3...ing-poona-ford-back-nose-tackle-2023-nfl-news

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I do not understand WHY there is not more interest from the hawks in these people. I further do not understand the "let 'em go, give 'em a taste of FA, and then hope we get them back on a bargain to save 200K on some of them." Makes absolutely NO sense to me.

Until the draft is complete - I suppose I will continue banging my head against the wall, hoping that whatever 'rebuild' strategy that PC and JS have in mind - isn't a complete failure.

Arg! I'm officially not getting it. But sure, let's keep paying Adams 10MM a year. We could probably have most of this list for the same price except for possibly Henry in the mix.

Unless I'm completely daft - The list above would address/fix 'most' of our problems. But yea, a new quarterback and telling Adams that he's doing a great job when he hasn't even shown UP - is gonna put us in 'win now' mode!

View attachment 58528

Tell us you don't understand the salary cap without saying you don't understand the salary cap.

keasley45

Reaction score
I do not understand WHY there is not more interest from the hawks in these people. I further do not understand the "let 'em go, give 'em a taste of FA, and then hope we get them back on a bargain to save 200K on some of them." Makes absolutely NO sense to me.

Until the draft is complete - I suppose I will continue banging my head against the wall, hoping that whatever 'rebuild' strategy that PC and JS have in mind - isn't a complete failure.

Arg! I'm officially not getting it. But sure, let's keep paying Adams 10MM a year. We could probably have most of this list for the same price except for possibly Henry in the mix.

Unless I'm completely daft - The list above would address/fix 'most' of our problems. But yea, a new quarterback and telling Adams that he's doing a great job when he hasn't even shown UP - is gonna put us in 'win now' mode!

View attachment 58528
Your question contains the answer. Seattle let those guys walk / hasnt splashed for the 'new toy' for the same reason other teams aren't willing to sign them for the compensation they were receiving - the value isn't there. Their assessment is spot on if 31 other teams see the same thing they do.

It's not that they aren't valuable. It's that they aren't a value at the salary they're looking for at this stage of the game.

The FO still has cap space to clear and moves to make to free up more than the 3 or so million dollars in free space they currently have in advance of the draft. We have 4 picks in the first 64. That's a reasonable amount of added cap space to account for.

I'm sure they've had conversations with the guys they'd like back (Schneider hinted as much WRT Woods). But if any of those guys sign with another team, I'm sure they have a backup plan via the draft and free agency.

You can't keep all 53 and you can't give every guy the money they'd like. Your top guys, you pay a salary that undeniably keeps them here. The rest fall into a numbers game that isn't always indicative of how they see a players value to the team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like how Pete and John let guys test the market. If they release a guy, they often bring him back. That's a very player friendly way to do things. No need to burn bridges. I guarantee the players appreciate that.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I like how Pete and John let guys test the market. If they release a guy, they often bring him back. That's a very player friendly way to do things. No need to burn bridges. I guarantee the players appreciate that.
Hm. Interesting - That was more one of the answers I was looking for.

Didn't know that 'catch and release' was a feature for the players.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Tell us you don't understand the salary cap without saying you don't understand the salary cap.
I'm not a cap expert.

I know there's a cap. I know the basics. I know you either have to fit in it, or mortgage future spending for the current year.

What I said/what I meant was: I do not understand letting players go that you then go and say IN THE PRESS that you want back. And during the same time, don't do something like, oh, I don't know, FADE suggested - "Don't let Neil go - give DK a void year instead".

My question, also, which has been sort of resoundingly answered is that: 85% of fans here, and both PC and JS do not think that this is a WIN NOW year. They do not see the value in keeping key personnel, and mortgaging the future.

I am in the minority camp that says: Geno's our future. Stop hunting for a draft QB. Don't let a couple of these guys go/go get them/go get them back.

You can mortgage the **** out of the future. Rams did it. Got some hardware for it. So, my question(s) aren't that outlandish.

Management doesn't think we can win now, i get it. I do, with a few key moves, and some elbow grease. Further, if anyone did think that it was a WIN NOW year - then again, mortgage the **** out of the future - restructure 'till the cows come home. Everyone.

And, my sorta final point is: In my opinion, the old decade long-ish model of: find a jewel of a QB in the draft, add water, simmer to boil, and wait 5 years to see if he's a dud. To keep one once he gets useful, you're gonna have to pay him anyways. Why not build the other pieces around it, then blow your wad for a rental FA QB. Tampa did. Got some hardware for it with Brady.

I don't mind the rollercoaster - again, blow your wad, win what you can, and understand that there's gonna be a drought for a couple/three years, while you pay off the credit card.

But instead, we're running around on the frat boy/John and Pete's Excellent Adventure/keg stand tour - selling up our draft pick so that we can trade down for 1 additional dude in the 3rd round.

Richardson's a .500 quarterback. <60% completion rate. THIS is what has consumed the last month instead of believing in a few people that we had, and KEEPING them. This is not to say that ALL who have been released is gold.

Anyone who think that the upcoming 3 safety 'umbrella' coverage sets with Adams, or when that fails, turning him into an instantly season-ending-injury recipient at 'hybrid linebacker' - whatever the **** that is - is mistaken.

Apologies for the late reply - I actually had to do real world stuff for a day. ;)

Frozenropers

Reaction score
I'm not a cap expert.

I know there's a cap. I know the basics. I know you either have to fit in it, or mortgage future spending for the current year.

What I said/what I meant was: I do not understand letting players go that you then go and say IN THE PRESS that you want back. And during the same time, don't do something like, oh, I don't know, FADE suggested - "Don't let Neil go - give DK a void year instead".

My question, also, which has been sort of resoundingly answered is that: 85% of fans here, and both PC and JS do not think that this is a WIN NOW year. They do not see the value in keeping key personnel, and mortgaging the future.

I am in the minority camp that says: Geno's our future. Stop hunting for a draft QB. Don't let a couple of these guys go/go get them/go get them back.

You can mortgage the **** out of the future. Rams did it. Got some hardware for it. So, my question(s) aren't that outlandish.

Management doesn't think we can win now, i get it. I do, with a few key moves, and some elbow grease. Further, if anyone did think that it was a WIN NOW year - then again, mortgage the **** out of the future - restructure 'till the cows come home. Everyone.

And, my sorta final point is: In my opinion, the old decade long-ish model of: find a jewel of a QB in the draft, add water, simmer to boil, and wait 5 years to see if he's a dud. To keep one once he gets useful, you're gonna have to pay him anyways. Why not build the other pieces around it, then blow your wad for a rental FA QB. Tampa did. Got some hardware for it with Brady.

I don't mind the rollercoaster - again, blow your wad, win what you can, and understand that there's gonna be a drought for a couple/three years, while you pay off the credit card.

But instead, we're running around on the frat boy/John and Pete's Excellent Adventure/keg stand tour - selling up our draft pick so that we can trade down for 1 additional dude in the 3rd round.

Richardson's a .500 quarterback. <60% completion rate. THIS is what has consumed the last month instead of believing in a few people that we had, and KEEPING them. This is not to say that ALL who have been released is gold.

Anyone who think that the upcoming 3 safety 'umbrella' coverage sets with Adams, or when that fails, turning him into an instantly season-ending-injury recipient at 'hybrid linebacker' - whatever the **** that is - is mistaken.

Apologies for the late reply - I actually had to do real world stuff for a day. ;)
I think there are a couple things going on with the Hawks and these cuts you see.

1) The Hawks felt many of those players didn’t fit the scheme very well last year.
2) I think the team is always churning A portion of the roster. If they see players they have that are on short term contracts and they feel the market has gone against what they are under contract for, the team will look to get some value / cap space out of that part of the roster and use it elsewhere.

Many of those players find there may not be a market for them out there for that price and end up coming back to the Hawks on a lesser $$ deal. Just the reality of the game and the salary cap, IMO.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Well, Henry Ford’s designs are a bit outdated, so that’s why….

I kid, I kid.

These are vets without a ton of teams looking for their services, right now.

Teams are looking to fulfill roster spots with needs that can be addressed by upcoming talented rookies not vets that maybe their ceiling has been reached and their best days are behind them.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Simple answer: too costly for what you are getting.

It also is very relevant that other teams are not really interested either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cause all these guys are expensive vet contracts, old and can't be relied on beyond rotational players?

GGotskill

Reaction score
I suspect alot of these vets will get signed after week 1, when their contracts are no longer guaranteed.