Votes: 25 22.7%
  • Jimmy Graham

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Jamal Adams

Votes: 66 60.0%

• Total voters

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Which of the following of Schneider's blockbuster trades do you feel was the most harmful to the health of the Seattle Seahawks?

Let's recap the options:

Percy Harvin
Traded away 1st rounder + 3rd rounder in 2014
Signed to 6 year, $67 million

Jimmy Graham
Traded away 1st rounder 2015 + starting center Max Unger
3 year, $27 million contract from Saints carried over in trade

Jamal Adams
Traded away 1st round pick 2021 and 2022 + 3rd round pick 2021 + starting strong safety Bradley McDougald
Signed to 4 year, $70 million

nwHawk

Reaction score
All three were bad. Percy Harvin, even though he was part of the SuperBowl championship, you could make the argument that that was the beginning of the bs trades.

JS has had so many wow trades, but ultimately I feel like each bandaid has lead to a deeper hole. If Harvin has traded for maybe Golden Tate stays. He was a perfect chippy slot player. Graham was at the time a terror in the slot for NO. A sexy target for JS All of the cute Madden kiddy trades. Phuk. So frustrating. John would be a blast to hang out with, but this team could have had so much more talent.

Reaction score
I'm okay with the Harvin trade for no other reason than that return in the Super Bowl. Knew from that moment on that the Hawks were gonna win.

Adams trade could singlehandedly set the team back years. Its by far the worst.

sdog1981

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":370wlvaf said:
1. Harvin
2. Graham

3. Adams

Why are you so obsessed with Golden Tate? Was he like your childhood friend? Did he give you a puppy when you were younger?

It's really interesting at this point.

edogg23

Reaction score
1. Adams
2. Adams
3. Adams
4. Harvin
5. Graham

The Adams trade (and then crazy contract) has basically ruined the franchise.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":zesl27pa said:
1. Adams
2. Adams
3. Adams
4. Harvin
5. Graham

This I agree with.

It's a bummer that we are at this point

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Jimmy, was a worse trade only because the future of that team had they kept their identity and not lost the center over it could've contended better vs a non blocking tight end. That being said, that team went from contender to not contender. Meanwhile the Adams trade and forced contract because of the trade turned this team into below average for the next 3-4 years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
edogg23":fqnobcgr said:
1. Adams
2. Adams
3. Adams
4. Harvin
5. Graham

Oh, yeah. Everyone was super in love with the franchise before the Adams trade. Hawk fans were loving life in 2019.

Harvin, and it ain't close to me. 2014 is what started the downward slope, and they probably win with whoever they pick instead of Harvin and his contract.

edogg23

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1zt1thr2 said:
edogg23":1zt1thr2 said:
1. Adams
2. Adams
3. Adams
4. Harvin
5. Graham

Oh, yeah. Everyone was super in love with the franchise before the Adams trade. Hawk fans were loving life in 2019.

Harvin, and it ain't close to me. 2014 is what started the downward slope, and they probably win with whoever they pick instead of Harvin and his contract.
While I agree that Harvin was a terrible trade, they didn’t trade 2 first rounds picks for him or sign him to an extension a full year later after holding out all preseason and having already proven he can’t cover anyone at safety.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
edogg23":13cb6xic said:
Maelstrom787":13cb6xic said:
edogg23":13cb6xic said:
1. Adams
2. Adams
3. Adams
4. Harvin
5. Graham

While I agree that Harvin was a terrible trade, they didn’t trade 2 first rounds picks for him or sign him to an extension a full year later after holding out all preseason and having already proven he can’t cover anyone at safety.

I actually excuse the Harvin trade because he put the final nail in the coffin in SB 48 for the Broncos. The second half started with the Hawks up 22-0, but let's not forget the Broncos that season were "the greatest offense in the history of the NFL" AND they previously won a game that season where they were down 24 points at the half. You can bet during half time they were reminding themselves about the previous 24 point deficit they overcame and were ready to take back the game. I was in the stands at that game thinking despite how good the game was, it was not over for that exact reason.

Then the second half starts, Percy Harvin returns the TD and you could see the immediate death blow for every Broncos player after that, the game was over. Come back from a 22 point deficit, hard but not impossible. come back from a 28/29 point deficit, outside of epic failure beyond the Falcons...impossible. Despite all the crap that came with Harvin and lack of play time, he helped ensure SB 48 happened, our team's first (and only) SB win. Worth the trade at that point to me.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1kon4wjh said:
edogg23":1kon4wjh said:
Maelstrom787":1kon4wjh said:
edogg23":1kon4wjh said:
1. Adams
2. Adams
3. Adams
4. Harvin
5. Graham

I actually excuse the Harvin trade because he put the final nail in the coffin in SB 48 for the Broncos. The second half started with the Hawks up 22-0, but let's not forget the Broncos that season were "the greatest offense in the history of the NFL" AND they previously won a game that season where they were down 24 points at the half. You can bet during half time they were reminding themselves about the previous 24 point deficit they overcame and were ready to take back the game. I was in the stands at that game thinking despite how good the game was, it was not over for that exact reason.

Then the second half starts, Percy Harvin returns the TD and you could see the immediate death blow for every Broncos player after that, the game was over. Come back from a 22 point deficit, hard but not impossible. come back from a 28/29 point deficit, outside of epic failure beyond the Falcons...impossible. Despite all the crap that came with Harvin and lack of play time, he helped ensure SB 48 happened, our team's first (and only) SB win. Worth the trade at that point to me.

That's a very solid point. I never really looked at it that way I guess.
It's his sudden departure in 2014 that soured everything for me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We went to the SB with freaking Kearse and Chris Matthews as our weapons.

And not only could Tate catch the ball and run like a RB, he blocked!

So of course I loved him on our team. He never had to give me a puppy since those are free at Paws.

The bigger question is whether having him in the GB game would have meant that our LOB would not have had to make inhuman stop after inhuman stop for most of the game, since we could have scored and not constantly have dropped the ball.

Because if you recall, that game injured Kam AND Sherman, likely also Simon, who Carroll inexplicably picked to include on the SB roster instead of our only slot corner.

So yes, that Harvin trade lost us Tate, pissed off Kam (leading to a holdout), and likely cost us the SB. The holdout of Kam also led to other dominoes falling later. (again nothing to do with free pets...as somehow implied).

That Harvin trade was literally the beginning of the end.

Then losing Unger pretty much cemented that we were going to pay lip service to building a great offense with a coach that would never allow it.

Both sucked. Adams isn't even close to either one because the franchise was already on fire and sinking by the time he was traded for. Those trades turned a SB contender to a wildcard....or worse.

edogg23

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":urq6j03s said:

So of course I loved him on our team. He never had to give me a puppy since those are free at Paws.

The bigger question is whether having him in the GB game would have meant that our LOB would not have had to make inhuman stop after inhuman stop for most of the game, since we could have scored and not constantly have dropped the ball.

Because if you recall, that game injured Kam AND Sherman, likely also Simon, who Carroll inexplicably picked to include on the SB roster instead of our only slot corner.

So yes, that Harvin trade lost us Tate, pissed off Kam (leading to a holdout), and likely cost us the SB. The holdout of Kam also led to other dominoes falling later. (again nothing to do with free pets...as somehow implied).

Then losing Unger pretty much cemented that we were going to pay lip service to building a great offense with a coach that would never allow it.

Both sucked. Adams isn't even close to either one because the franchise was already on fire and sinking by the time he was traded for. Those trades turned a SB contender to a wildcard....or worse.
Also good points.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2iksw5ky said:

Yeah but did we really lose Tate because of Harvin or did that "rumor" have any truth to it...Just saying someone could have destroyed that rumor for a fellow teammate but decided to play the "no comment" game.

nwHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2cyml8ut said:

And not only could Tate catch the ball and run like a RB, he blocked!.

Great point. Lockett, DK, and Co. and argh. This team is challenged to consistently pass for first downs.

Fade

Reaction score
They were all bad.

I will give my initial thoughts I had on each one before having the benefit of hindsight.

Percy Harvin.

I hated it. There was a guy in the draft that year that could do the same role that I wanted badly, his name was Cordarelle Patterson. He was on the board and Minny used Seattle's pick to take him. The 2013 Seahawks just needed a couple of pass rushers to be champs. Thank God they got them (Avril & Bennett). Otherwise I was looking at saving every dollar possible to keep as much of the team intact as possible.

In hindsight. It turned out even worse than I could imagine. He hardly played, didn't gel with teammates, and Bevell struggled to utilize him. I thought he would at least produce some results for 3-4 years, but he did next to nothing. He cost the team Golden Tate & Breno Giaccomini, which led to the Justin Britt & Paul Richardson picks. The Harvin trade was the definition of a domino effect, and classic Pete Carroll meddling. Y'see Harvin was a guy Pete coveted going back to his days at USC, and called Harvin the one that got away.

Grade: F- and quite possible the worst trade of the decade.

Jimmy Graham

When it went down I loved it. The Seahawks were the 32nd ranked red zone team in the league, and they were adding the best red zone weapon in football. Surely they would coach him up some on his blocking to make him serviceable, and they would mostly use him as a Joker TE anyway, right? Wrong. Tom Cable tried to turn him into Zach Miller and a comedy of coaching ineptitude ensued.

In hindsight the trade was even worse because the often injured Max Unger stayed healthy, and the Seahawks never found a quality Center since, outside of Britt who provided some serviceable play and 1 good year.

Grade: D+

Jamal Adams

This one is a doozy. At this point my faith in Pete Carroll and what he was doing on defense was nearly gone. The glass half-full side of me was like, "well they don't draft good players in the 1st round anyway, so he's the better option." But I knew based on this staff's history that they loved to square peg, round hole players, and Jamal Adams was just the latest victim.

The baddest part of the trade was the Jets talked the Seahawks into 2 first rounders because the Seahawks win a lot so they would be more like 2nd round picks. Seattle should've retorted with building in some top 15 protection, just in case as added insurance. Pete Carroll and the Seahawks got destroyed in this trade by a country mile. They paid a QBs ransom for a box safety. This trade is so bad that it might cost the team it's Franchise QB.

Grade: Bill O'Brien (The Lowest grade imaginable.) The worst trade of the decade and I don't even need to see the rest of the decade play out.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Excellent breakdown Fade thank you.

My thoughts are spot on with what you said in detail.

I look at these trades and say "Fool me once, shame on you..." We never learn.

Even going back to the Deion Branch trade, Schneider has turned into Tim Ruskell 2.0.
The only thing Branch brought this team was the lime green stuff. He's the one that brought the eye popping lime green gloves. And that was about it.

Latest posts