When?

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno at 31 mil is wayyy too expensive. Just draft a qb to compete with Lock or some other cheap vet, since this year will probably be a throwaway year anyway until Pete's gone. On the other hand, free agents aren't going to see this as a desirable destination for a while either, so maybe saving cap space doesn't even matter. Just blow it up, So sick of all of it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think nothing having been done might signal they're waiting to meet with Bert and Jody.

Fade

Reaction score
I think nothing having been done might signal they're waiting to meet with Bert and Jody.
Yeah, they have their annual end of the year powwow, I think later this week.

Pete will smooth talk Judy. He will use Clint Hurtt as his meat shield if necessary, scapegoat him.

If not, Pete is totally cool with running it back.

Re-Pete 2024.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Yeah, they have their annual end of the year powwow, I think later this week.

Pete will smooth talk Judy. He will use Clint Hurtt as his meat shield if necessary, scapegoat him.

If not, Pete is totally cool with running it back.

Re-Pete 2024.
🤮

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No worries I’ve posted epa stuff multiple times and been wrong lol. A few different sites do them and some are tweaked too so it’s hard. Doesn’t change much really as the argument is still a valid point from you’re end
There's so many qualifiers to look for. Hard to tell, especially on the graphs, which weeks are counted and what the snap count qualifier is.

I just hope we can get a running game going really strong to give Geno a chance to show what he can do under better conditions. I really feel strongly about him being a worthy starter. Down year and still being among the names he's around in most efficiency stats hints at some untapped potential.

Like, visually, it's all there. He can move around the pocket, he can deliver mostly on time, he can thread a needle, he can come from behind in many circumstances... I just wanna see an offense where we don't have to lean on him to move the chains alone, and an offense where our rushing attack blows our redzone game wide open.

I feel like if we give Geno the 2018 cast, we have a shot! Provided they fix the defense as well. Tall asks, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
Geno is a Goldilocks QB.

He has to everything around him just right.

Even then, he plays like crap for a half. Plays great the other.

Every QB would benefit from having everything firing on all cylinders around them, which won't happen with Pete, as we've seen.

What separates the good from the great is their ability to perform consistently in suboptimal situations.

Geno is all over the place, one moment he's throwing a dropped pick, missing an open D.K. , the next he's firing a strike on 3rd and long when you have to have it.

He and Jameis Winston are the only QBs with a career big throw % over 4%, and a TWP% over 4%.

GemCity

Reaction score
Geno at 31 mil is wayyy too expensive. Just draft a qb to compete with Lock or some other cheap vet, since this year will probably be a throwaway year anyway until Pete's gone. On the other hand, free agents aren't going to see this as a desirable destination for a while either, so maybe saving cap space doesn't even matter. Just blow it up, So sick of all of it.
I agree but, I doubt they do it.

At this point of Pete’s contract, do you honestly think they’ll grab a QB?

This may be the year to do it…I’d like to see them grab one (JS approved ofc).

But, if you were in charge of the draft for the Hawks, would you REALLY prioritize a QB?

As a fan, I’d love to see it. I wanted Stroud or AR last year. I love Spoon though…he’s my favorite player along with DK.

BUT, if I were drafting for this team, my number one priority would be defense. We had a historically bad defense. It won’t change much with a new scheme or DC (although, it can’t really go anywhere but up). In no particular order, we need a Safety, LB, Edge..maybe two of each.

I’m not disagreeing with you or anyone else. THIS year seems to be an opportune time to grab a QB. If we grabbed Penix or Nix (the guys I think we have the best shot at), I’d be very happy.

I just have my doubts…

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno is a Goldilocks QB.

He has to everything around him just right.

Even then, he plays like crap for a half. Plays great the other.

Every QB would benefit from having everything firing on all cylinders around them, which won't happen with Pete, as we've seen.

What separates the good from the great is their ability to perform consistently in suboptimal situations.

Geno is all over the place, one moment he's throwing a dropped pick, missing an open D.K. , the next he's firing a strike on 3rd and long when you have to have it.

He and Jameis Winston are the only QBs with a career big throw % over 4%, and a TWP% over 4%.
We've seen it several times with Pete, though. Literally all of the Schottenheimer tenure except for the tail end, and that end was mostly QB driven in hindsight.

I'm not asking for the world. I'm just saying that an offense able to be driven more handily on the ground opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities for Geno's play.

He doesn't need everything around him just right. He can exist in chaos and still grade out as better than middling.

Also, the turnover worthy throw stat? Yes, it is negative, but he mitigates negative plays at an elite level elsewhere. This chart from earlier this year doesn't even include his far superior second half of 2023. He's not a singularly-boneheaded passer. He's just a quarterback who makes mistakes here and there like any other, and he profiles similarly to some of the best in the league in this regard.

No one wants to say it because it doesn't SEEM true, but it is: Geno has been producing at Justin Herbert's level for 2 seasons now. Above in some regards, below in others, but roughly equal.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
We definitely need to let Gino walk. Draft a Qb and resign Drew. We can use the money to fill holes throughout the team interior lineman and defensive line backers.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno Smith vs. Justin Herbert, 2022-2023.

Would I rather have Herbert? Yes, I'd rather have Justin Herbert long-term. Obviously.

But both of these dudes face adversity as a result of their supporting cast, and I'm not crazy for thinking Geno could be even better with a little more help in front of him and on the other side of the ball.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Teams don't game plan for Geno, but they do game plan for Herbert. I think there's a difference in each quarterbacks impact for there team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Teams don't game plan for Geno, but they do game plan for Herbert. I think there's a difference in each quarterbacks impact for there team.
Teams absolutely gameplan for Geno Smith. It's probably all they gameplan for, because our running game is pretty inept. It's too sloppy and oft-abandoned to be a major consideration.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I feel like it's the opposite, teams know Kenneth walker is a home run hitter so they take away the run, aswell as double Dk because he is our most dominant offensive weapon. And take their chances letting Geno try and beat them. I seriously doubt every team we play against has their primary goal to stop Geno.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno is the best mediocre qb we've ever had. His 1 td per game is an all time nfl record, and certainly nothing any rookie could possibly equal. We should sign him to a 5 year, 300 mil extension.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It's all speculation for the next few days..but will say if it stays status quo this team is dead last in the division next year. I was 50/50 on Pete but imo both coordinators have to go. I'm leaning to Waldo staying unfortunately but if Hurtt stays this team is doomed.