What is Pete Carroll made of?

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
That's been the question on my mind today. How is our Head Coach going to respond to this heartbreaking loss? What does tomorrow hold for our Seahawks?

I have never really been a fan of college football and never really took the time to delve into Pete's past achievements. For whatever reason, maybe just looking for a sign of hope moving forward, I pulled up Pete Carroll on Wikipedia to see if he has ever had to deal with anything like this before and maybe find some insight into how he recovered from it. After discovering he has, I ended up stumbling on this article and sure enough there was the past experience in the write-up,

"Earlier, Carroll had likened Sunday's disappointment to that which he endured while coaching USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl, when the Trojans suffered a heartbreaking 41-38 defeat to Texas that denied them a third consecutive national championship."

Pete Carroll's Trojans went on to win 3 consecutive Rose Bowls 2007-2009. I have faith that Pete will have this team back, strong as ever next year.

If anyone is really familiar with the story and has any insights I would love to read them.

pmedic920

Reaction score
The teams future rests in his hands (And the other leaders).
IMO the dust hasn't settled yet and how things end up, will completely depend on the quality of leadership.
I'm thinking we will be fine but the potential is there for a meltdown.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The 2006 Rose Bowl loss is actually VERY similar to this one. I know some USC fans, and they were in tears and utterly shaken by that loss. I'm a UW fan, but I was cheering for USC because I couldn't help but respect how damn good they were.

It was a similar set of circumstances, really. The consensus two best teams going head-to-head in probably the most-hyped Championship Game of the last decade. On the line? That USC team would've arguably gone down as the greatest college football team ever assembled. At that point, Bush and Leinart were larger than life and had a chance to cement themselves as among the all-time great QB/RB tandems ever. Pete's college legacy would've vaulted into the stratosphere.

At the end of the day, the game came down to a highly controversial coaching decision. Pete Carroll elected to go for it, on 4th-and-2, in Texas's side of the field with only a couple minutes left. Texas stuffed LenDale White (Bush not in on the play) and went on to score the infamous game-winning TD with a short field.

I have to imagine he had nightmares about that game for a long, long time. But as he said, he can "take a punch."

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
He's been through trying off seasons before. Texas had a huge comeback to beat USC in the National Championship of 2006.

FanSince82

Reaction score
If he doesn't make changes to the offense, we're doomed.

Last year we destroyed the Broncos. This year we needed a miracle just to make the Super Bowl. And the reason we needed a miracle was an offense that often doesn't function for the first half of the game. The same was true in the SB. No pass completions for the first 20 minutes of the game.

We're not drafting the people we need on offense to replenish what is being lost. We lose Marshawn, which will be a much, much worse loss than Tate and Harvin combined, then I see us struggling to make the playoffs under Bevell.

We need to change the way we draft offensive players. But most importantly, we have to change the way we approach the offense. The philosophy of "let the offense suck and hope the defense saves our butts" has to end or we squander the golden opportunity at a dynasty. We already sacrificed one SB, let's not do it again.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Belichick took Petes job an then he took Pete's Super Bowl. Gonna be interesting to see what he's made of.

Mick063

Reaction score
On competition Wednesday, he needs to bring in a few play callers and find one that actually competes.

sc85sis

Reaction score
DavidSeven":279x5emw said:
The 2006 Rose Bowl loss is actually VERY similar to this one. I know some USC fans, and they were in tears and utterly shaken by that loss. I'm a UW fan, but I was cheering for USC because I couldn't help but respect how damn good they were.

It was a similar set of circumstances, really. The consensus two best teams going head-to-head in probably the most-hyped Championship Game of the last decade. On the line? That USC team would've arguably gone down as the greatest college football team ever assembled. At that point, Bush and Leinart were larger than life and had a chance to cement themselves as among the all-time great QB/RB tandems ever. Pete's college legacy would've vaulted into the stratosphere.

At the end of the day, the game came down to a highly controversial coaching decision. Pete Carroll elected to go for it, on 4th-and-2, in Texas's side of the field with only a couple minutes left. Texas stuffed LenDale White (Bush not in on the play) and went on to score the infamous game-winning TD with a short field.

I have to imagine he had nightmares about that game for a long, long time. But as he said, he can "take a punch."

All USC fans have nightmares about that game to this day. But that game, like Sunday's, really isn't about one play. Several things happened that could have altered the final score in both cases. That's why it bothers me to see so many people claiming this as the worst call ever. It was one call in a single game, and last I knew the game was sixty minutes. Yes, in hindsight the play wasn't a great call. But that play alone isn't why we lost the game.

We lost the game because we didn't score as many points as they did. We gave up two TDs in the fourth quarter. Kearse couldn't haul in a deep pass that might have helped us score again and keep our momentum. Some other passes were broken up with good defensive plays by the Pats. We had injuries that negatively impacted us. And let's give the Patriots some credit here too. There is a reason they've had so much success.

One play looks like the reason because it came at the end, but it's one of many that determined the outcome.