What If: Elway in Seattle

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
To the actual question at hand if we had Elway instead of Warner? Obviously 20/20 hindsight says that a Superbowl or more would have been probable if not likely.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Post #1:

Beeker49":a6mramb4 said:
Anyways, I know I'll catch my fair share of grief, and that's cool - I've got thick skin.

Post #40:

Beeker49":a6mramb4 said:
peachesenregalia":a6mramb4 said:
WZ is a toilet. Just like Candlestick park.
Funny. Y'all should probably just go ahead and ban my account now, before I actually type something that WILL get me banned.

:snack: What is it about the layout of this site can't folks understand? We have certain rooms we like to keep clean and tidied up, and certain places where it is acceptable to urinate and dedicate. It's like your house. Well... normal houses, anyway. Just think of the main forum as the living room or parlor, the lounge as the kitchen or dining room, the NFL forum as the kids' rumpus room downstairs, the PWR forum as the garage, and the shack as, well, just keep on keepin' on in there. You got that part down solid.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Elway had been in Seattle, I would have had only nice things to say about Mr. Ed. Cuz it would have been awesome.

BTW, Beeker is the first guy I have ever seen actually ask to get banned. I guess his skin is not as thick as he first claimed. I bet an actual trip to the C-link would have him in tears.

Jac

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3d9np6by said:
BTW, Beeker is the first guy I have ever seen actually ask to get banned. I guess his skin is not as thick as he first claimed. I bet an actual trip to the C-link would have him in tears.

And a banning seems like something he'd wear back on his home board as some kind of badge of honor (and likely as an attack on this board). I wouldn't give the satisfaction.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Ray74":3k6n4e2j said:
Would have been happier with Marino at #3

Whether or not we'd have won a Super Bowl during his tenure, at the very least we'd have traded a Hall of Fame quarterback for Dave Krieg, Gale Gilbert, Bruce Mathison, Jeff Kemp, Kelly Stouffer, Stan Gelbaugh, Dan McGwire, Rick Mirer, John Friesz, Jon Kitna, and Warren Moon in the twilight of his career.

That might have made a wee difference.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hdyes92j said:

then he'd have something more in common with kaepernik than a replica jersey!

Also...

Marino to Largent?

I'm going to invent a time machine to make this happen.

RedAlice

Reaction score
On the topic of this thread: Elway is an absolute arrogant horrible person. He is one of the few NFL elite I've dealt with personally and he is the worst. I am very happy he was never a Ram, I don't care at all what he would have accomplished for the team. He is just despicable in person (based on my personal experience).

On the thread jacked topic: very entertaining. I am registered at both this board and the WZ and enjoy commenting during the season on both as you play the Rams. I have always been treated nicely by both boards, and find this rivalry between your teams interesting and enjoyable.

Beeker called us the "scrawny kid no one likes". I see you all seem to have a little more respect than that.

Will be a fun season. Cannot wait.

Oh, and I made a similiar post on WZ. Rams' fan loving all of the NFC W.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The Radish":1hyrvpxu said:
Mr. Ed was such an arrogant SOB I doubt the team would have played for him.
Elway didn't seem to have any problem getting the Broncos to play for him. People could listen to Russell Wilson and confuse his confidence for arrogance if they didn't know him.

The Radish":1hyrvpxu said:
Please be aware the moderator board has had long conversations wanting to find some closure in our supposed battle with ninnir fans. The reason its been so quiet is we stopped allowing new member from there way last winter!
AbsolutNET":1hyrvpxu said:
E.C. Laloosh":1hyrvpxu said:
I'm sure you're a terrific guy, but...
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... ds/page11/
I question your motives.
We can throw Young2Rice in the "questionable motives" category as well.
And people wonder why we hesitate to approve niner fans. Troll our board and go back to report about it.
Seriously? One of the reasons I have utter contempt for 49erswebzone is the fact that several times they automatically rejected my application for membership, and now I find we do (did) the same thing? Whatever happened to welcoming fans of other teams? I would have no problem with having a hair trigger on temp-bans, leading to permanent bans for repeat rules infractions, but this... I don't like it.

And don't we do exactly the same thing here as they do there? We have had countless threads here enjoying ridiculous things said on other boards. I personally love me some schadenfreude when it's there to be had. It would be hypocritical of me to enjoy it here, and hold it against others for doing it in their house.

And let's face it, responses in this thread have been all over the rationality spectrum.

Hasselbeck":1hyrvpxu said:
And why did we pass on Dickerson for Warner again?
We didn't pass on Dickerson. We traded for the 3rd pick, Dickerson was drafted 2nd.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We delayed approving 9er accounts for a while when it got out of hand. Literaly 90% of all the new accounts were trolls. We've eased up on that and now email them before approval.

Lets look at this rationally - how many new 49er members have we recently met? Does that indicate we are rejecting 9er fan applications?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
No, it doesn't. And I know I don't see the same things you see from where you are. I have no problem whatsoever of getting rid of trolls.

My reactions was based on my experience of getting turned down without explanation. I had no intention of trolling (I'm not good at talking smack), but they had no way of knowing that without interacting with me. It just seemed very thought police-ish.

All that said, if I was a mod, I would automatically reject any rustbucket fan, regardless of anything I ever said about welcoming other fans. ALL rustbucket fans are trolls.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I suppose I should say something about the actual topic, eh?

It's hard to imagine how all else would have shaken out with John Elway and without Curt Warner. But if we could replace a Curt Warner-less 1984 and a half-recovered Curt Warner 1985 with fully healthy John Elway, our history would certainly have been different. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
BlueTalon":24yzfmx1 said:
Hasselbeck":24yzfmx1 said:
We didn't pass on Dickerson. We traded for the 3rd pick, Dickerson was drafted 2nd.
Actually, Seattle traded up to #2, then swapped with L.A. who had #3 because the FO had Warner rated slightly higher than Dickerson for Knox's system and knew the Rams were in love with Eric. Seattle traded their first (#9), second (#42) & third (#69) round picks to Houston for #2 overall. They then traded #2 overall to L.A for #3 and a pair of 4th rounders (#88 & #102).

BlueTalon

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2iuqze3o said:
BlueTalon":2iuqze3o said:
Hasselbeck":2iuqze3o said:
Actually, Seattle traded up to #2, then swapped with L.A. who had #3 because the FO had Warner rated slightly higher than Dickerson for Knox's system and knew the Rams were in love with Eric. Seattle traded their first (#9), second (#42) & third (#69) round picks to Houston for #2 overall. They then traded #2 overall to L.A for #3 and a pair of 4th rounders (#88 & #102).
Really? Did not know that. Relying only on my memory from 30 years ago, I thought we straight-up traded our first three picks for #3. But now that you mention it, the two 4th round picks are tickling my memory a bit.

All in all, I don't see how Eric Dickerson would have been that much better for our offense at the time. Curt Warner had a jitterbug aspect to him that really lent itself to our inconsistent O-line and offense. I don't remember Dickerson having that.

Of course, we just established that my memory isn't 100% reliable after 3 decades, so me being wrong wouldn't surprise me too much.