What if Geno regresses?

toffee

Reaction score
Almost without exception , teams that go deep in the playoffs and/or appear in the SB have one common denominator...an exceptionally good or elite QB . Smith isn't either of those . He can help deliver winning seasons ; but not much beyond that IMHO .
Trent Dilfer, Jimmy G were exceptionally good or elite QB?

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Almost without exception , teams that go deep in the playoffs and/or appear in the SB have one common denominator...an exceptionally good or elite QB . Smith isn't either of those . He can help deliver winning seasons ; but not much beyond that IMHO .
I see you represent a common view within our fan base...with Geno as a "bridging" QB who overachieved?
My own take sees Geno as "exceptionally good" why bother with "elite" perceptions.

Geno actually was the best in the NFL in the Deep Pass (according to Next Generation Stats). As the season progressed it became apparent that Geno has the tools to excell using the entire field and range of throws.

In his first season as a starter in Seattle, the fourth-year Seahawk led the NFL with a 69.8 completion percentage and set franchise records in completions (399) and yards (4,282). He led the league with ten games in which he had a passer rating of 100-plus.

The area of concern I had was his "rep" for throwing picks. As a QB who throws into tight windows the opportunity for throwing actual picks as well as many "just missed" picks are going to be part of any high performing NFL QB.

According to Player Profiler, Smith was third in “Money Throws” last season, which are passes requiring exceptional skill or athleticism as well as critical throws executed in clutch moments. He was third in Deep Ball Accuracy Rating and fourth in True Completion Percentage.

I know its hard to give any QB not named Mahomes or Rogers their "props" but Geno plays very well within our spread offense and we just added premium additions to our explosive play maker "mix"...so we shall "see"

hoxrox

Reaction score
I don't see any reason why Geno would regress. He has a better supporting cast, with more experience in the system. Barring major injuries to RB OL WR TE, I see him putting up better stats than he did last year. He has big $$$ incentives to do so.

The more interesting question is, what will Waldron do in year 3? Some of his play calling got a little stale towards the end of the season. He will need to be more creative, especially in red zone situations. He has the weapons and the talent to get it done.

rcaido

Reaction score
Didn't Geno Regress last season? Second half season
3win 5 15TD, 7 Int, 25sacks, 5 fumbles 43 Bad throws and 94.7rating His last 5 games his rating was 84.2

He had a monster first half but regressed the 2nd half season.

I think even if Geno plays the same he did the second half or worse, Pete will ride & die w/ Geno this season no matter. He would probably handcuff him like he did Wilson. Offensively we should be ok w/ our running. Lets hope our defense has improved or it could get messy.

Last edited:

hoxrox

Reaction score
Didn't Geno Regress last season? Second half season
3win 5 15TD, 7 Int, 25sacks, 5 fumbles 43 Bad throws and 94.7rating His last 5 games his rating was 84.2

He had a monster first half but regressed the 2nd half season.

I think even if Geno plays the same he did the second half or worse, Pete will ride & die w/ Geno this season no matter. He would probably handcuff him like he did Wilson. Offensively we should be ok w/ our running. Lets hope our defense has improved or it could get messy.
Think you missed the point about the supporting cast. He has a much stronger one this coming season. Last 5 games of last year after becoming one-dimensional when every single RB had injuries? Not so much.

This year the backfield is loaded. WR corp stronger than ever. TE room looks good. We'll see about the protection with our new center, but everything else looks great.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Wilson did it well before anyone remotely considered him elite.

Joe Flacko - stretches of outstanding play, but not 'great'

Jared Goff

Wilson and Flacco were both very good QBs. Goff lost in the Super Bowl with his team only mustering up a single field goal the entire game. He is playing well currently with the Lions though.

Not sure those 3 names are good examples.

Torc

Reaction score
Wilson and Flacco were both very good QBs. Goff lost in the Super Bowl with his team only mustering up a single field goal the entire game. He is playing well currently with the Lions though.

Not sure those 3 names are good examples.
The term xray used was "exceptionally good or elite". Wilson (in our SB years) and Flacco were neither. Good, yes. Exceptional? No.

I would personally put Geno at the "very good" (but not "exceptional") level. Maybe he'll be better than that - he could improve both because of his own efforts and the improvement of the team around him.

That's the whole idea - have a team that doesn't need a QB miracle all the time.

rcaido

Reaction score
Think you missed the point about the supporting cast. He has a much stronger one this coming season. Last 5 games of last year after becoming one-dimensional when every single RB had injuries? Not so much.

This year the backfield is loaded. WR corp stronger than ever. TE room looks good. We'll see about the protection with our new center, but everything else looks great.
oh i was replying to the OP but...

Last 5 games, Walker had 100+rushing in 3 games. Look at Geno bad throws he had compared to his first half. He had 43 in 8 games, in the first half he had only 22 in 9 games. He was actually getting less pressure in the second half but making more mistakes. His Y/A dropped drastically to 6.4 from 8.8

If he had a slow start and strong finish then i would have more confidence.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The term xray used was "exceptionally good or elite". Wilson (in our SB years) and Flacco were neither. Good, yes. Exceptional? No.

I would personally put Geno at the "very good" (but not "exceptional") level. Maybe he'll be better than that - he could improve both because of his own efforts and the improvement of the team around him.

That's the whole idea - have a team that doesn't need a QB miracle all the time.

I'm not going to argue, but when there is examples of 3 legit QB's that werent very good and maybe 3 others that were questionable with a game thats been happening since 1966, the statistics are stacked against the argument that game manager QB's are fine to win the big one.

Like I said, its possible but not probable.

Scout

Reaction score
The Seahawks are one of the most balanced teams in the NFC on both sides of the ball. Geno just has to continue to be the point guard on offense.

A regression would imply that Geno would not adhere to fundamentals pre snap reads but that is unlikely. Only way Geno regresses is if his physical ability falls off or coordinators force him to be flushed to his left constantly. But I have confidence that Cross is going to make a huge improvement heading into year 2 which helps out Geno.

xray

Reaction score
What if Geno regresses ? The Hawks go 10-7 at best . As long as he stays steady and holds it . Let's see

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Trent Dilfer, Jimmy G were exceptionally good or elite QB?
You're not allowed to use them as examples anymore. Same with about Five or Six other guys, "the game was different then". The game is different every year though, lol.