What in the holy hell happened?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am sitting on the plane, 34,000 feet in the air, wondering how the hell we lost to a crappy Rams team? The game felt in hand the whole time until the very end.

Stadium is nice. Not 5 billion nice but nice. Rams fans were super chill and cool. Even they were surprised they won.

Our seats were nose bleeds. They looked like ants. So tell me. What the hell happened?!?!

cymatica

Reaction score
Coaches failed, undisciplined stupid penalties combined with some bs calls. Personally, I think most the blame goes to Waldron. 14 called pass plays to 4 runs in the 2nd half before the final drive when they had a lead the whole time. Waldron forgot he had tight ends again, Fant has 10 yards in 3 games. Should be running more plays that scheme our tight ends open.

Defense held them to only 17(you could argue 20 if McVay kicks a FG in the 1st), but after 6 years of facing McVay, you would think they would change up the defense that allows easy passes over the middle. Hurt should have also been blitzing quite a bit more, it was disrupting Stafford quite a bit but they always resort back to the play it safe and give up long drives strategy.

Oh yeah, why does this team refuse to double Donald? They love having mediocre guards block him 1on1 all game

Welshers2

Reaction score
I am sitting on the plane, 34,000 feet in the air, wondering how the hell we lost to a crappy Rams team? The game felt in hand the whole time until the very end.

Stadium is nice. Not 5 billion nice but nice. Rams fans were super chill and cool. Even they were surprised they won.

Our seats were nose bleeds. They looked like ants. So tell me. What the hell happened?!?!
A number of things compiled and snowballed into the result we ultimately saw last night. I'll try to express a few of the things I thought were the biggest contributing factors:

1. Geno's injury. We were up 16-7 when he got knocked out of the game and never scored another point. Of course when he did return he promptly led us straight into field goal range. As bad as the offense was, it was unquestionably better when he was on the field. Another first down or two (we got ZERO with Lock) and the outcome is probably different.

2. The O-Line. This is the root cause behind Geno's injury and in my opinion the teams problem right now. They have a 42 year old in there. The line is beaten up and the QBs are getting no time at all. It's very hard to play well and convert 3rd downs when you have no time in the pocket.

3. Officiating. The officials gave the Rams 4 points plain and simple. The Seahawks won this game if it wasn't stolen by the refs. Yes they played terribly but the truth is they still deserved to win. The refs called PI on the Seahawks on 3rd down when a Rams player tripped. It was the difference in the game, it was atrocious, and it was theft.

4. Clock management. Clock management was bad at the end of the half and the end of the game. At the end of the half we could have had the ball with a minute left and a chance to drive and get vital points. Instead Pete didn't call timeout and took a knee. At the end of the game we would have liked to try and get closer for Meyers. Apparently the mess up was on Geno's headset not working instead of coaching, but regardless, someone dropped the ball. We should have handled it better.

5. KW injury. This is one is the one people are forgetting. The running game petered out after he left the game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Too many dumb penalties
Another game where the offense couldn't move the ball for almost three quarters of football
Another game where our coordinators did a terrible job of halftime and in game adjustments

The end

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Hawks played uninspired football and the O looked mostly like crap. Geno got hurt, Lock was completely ineffective in relief.

The D gave it up like a working girl in the 4th Q and the same stuff that worked against them before worked again which raises questions as to scheme and the competence of the DC.

Geno surprisingly returned and played well for their last series and the O actually created a late and heroic attempt at getting into position for the winning FG, they succeeded and Myers missed the FG wide right.

Mostly the team looked like crap and is now looking down the barrel of a series of tough games that I don't expect them to have much success in.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Some of these responses are hilarious. The offense was bad most of the game even before the Lock injury, the vast majority of the penalties were our fault and not because of the refs...we gave them over 100 yards in penalties. Defense did fairly well all things considered but we just couldn't score enough points and were terrible on third down as they have been all year. I'm not going to blame 2 series with Lock as the reason we lost.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Refs, dumb penalites, and Geno's injury

I don't think the o line is great, but it's not as awful as many make it out to be.

No excuse for blowing a 9 point lead to a sub .500 team. I can accept losing to the good Lambs. I won't accept losing to bad Ram teams. It's ridiculous. It might cost this team the playoffs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It very likey DOES cost them the playoffs. Imagine the energy, vibe and confidence going into the game on Thursday if they don't sh** themselves yesterday. Just sayin.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't think the two series with Lock is the reason why they lost. Frankly the O and the D mostly looked bad all game.

hoxrox

Reaction score
McVay happened once again.
McVay is overrated. He called screens in the second half which is what any competent play caller would have done after watching Seattle defend screens on film.

Other than that, he barely beat team that missed the game winner, and with help from the refs on that phantom PI.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Refs, dumb penalites, and Geno's injury

I don't think the o line is great, but it's not as awful as many make it out to be.

No excuse for blowing a 9 point lead to a sub .500 team. I can accept losing to the good Lambs. I won't accept losing to bad Ram teams. It's ridiculous. It might cost this team the playoffs.
I HOPE they miss the playoffs. It is time to fire PC and his staff. BLOW THIS TEAM UP, keep the good, jettison the bad.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Jeff Fisher prayed to a Jobu shrine and here we are. The way the rams have ruined our party by knowing and outsmarting our tendencies for such a sustained period of history is one of the most Seahawky dare I say "Seattle sports" things i've seen in a long time, I'd be mad if I didn't respect the feat. We've both had our share of questionable individuals so not mad at Donald either.

PeruHawk

Reaction score

I have not rewatched the game, but it seemed to me the same old familiar play calling problems pointed out this forum all year. I could be off, but my perception was there were a lot of slow developing long routes with no outlet receiver, just when the Rams pash rush started turning up the heat. Once again, nobody open in the limited time Gino had to throw.

I do not understand why so many people say Gino this and Gino that. The entire OFFENSE had 9 straight missed third down conversions, not just Gino, and that includes the OC.

Chapow

Reaction score
Some of these responses are hilarious. The offense was bad most of the game even before the Lock injury, the vast majority of the penalties were our fault and not because of the refs...we gave them over 100 yards in penalties. Defense did fairly well all things considered but we just couldn't score enough points and were terrible on third down as they have been all year. I'm not going to blame 2 series with Lock as the reason we lost.

Yep, once again the offense was mostly terrible after the 1st quarter until the last drive of the game (something we've seen a lot this season). Once again terrible on 3rd downs after the 1st quarter until the last drive of the game. An absolutely absurd amount of penalties and penalty yardage, most of which was legitimate and warranted. Head scratching play calling with a lead in the 2nd half against a team that was struggling to score (calling way more passing plays than running plays on offense). I could go on, but I won't.

Having said all that, the PI in the end zone on 3rd down was a game changing call, and it was a terrible call. The receiver tripped. Even the commentators were emphatically stating how bad of a call it was. Without that call it's very likely the Rams kick a FG there. It's also very likely that call changed the outcome of the game.

We were also a missed FG away from winning that game, even with all of that other stuff. Yes, it's a 55 yarder which is no gimme, but Myers had made 15 in a row, several of which were from 50+. That was absolutely within his range in his recent run of form.

So basically, even with the offense once again being terrible for nearly 3 quarters, horribly undisciplined play, bad play calling and bad decisions, and losing our starting QB for most of the 4th quarter, it still took a game changing grossly incorrect penalty at a critical time and a missed game winning FG to lose that game.

PeruHawk

Reaction score
I have not rewatched the game, but it seemed to me the same old familiar play calling problems pointed out this forum all year. I could be off, but my perception was there were a lot of slow developing long routes with no outlet receiver, just when the Rams pash rush started turning up the heat. Once again, nobody open in the limited time Gino had to throw.

I do not understand why so many people say Gino this and Gino that. The entire OFFENSE had 9 straight missed third down conversions, not just Gino, and that includes the OC.

There was one route by Metcalf in the 4th quarter where he slowly curled inside and back. I could not believe how lazy that route was. A high school player with sufficient speed could have defended that route.