What if Geno regresses?

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Question: What if Geno Smith regresses this season?

How long or short of a leash are you willing to give him before we start clamoring for Lock or looking forward to next year's draft?

I know what some of you already thinking here. "Dude stfu we don't need that negativity around here go root for someone else." Or "Wow what happened to you Jerhawk? You're a terrible poster anymore. Geno isn't going to regress. Do you even watch football?"

For those willing to continue with this hypothetical discussion, I think it's definitely a possibility and I'm assuming, or hoping, that Carroll has a contingency plan in case Geno regresses this season.

And when I say regress, I mean reverting back to his old habits, turning the ball over and not making wise decisions with the ball. Taking a step back as a reliable QB.

Last season he went 30/11 for TD/INT ratio in the regular season, however 4 of those INTs were in December. Did teams finally get some tape on him and make proper adjustments? Time will tell. Of course I hope he shines and carries this team, but again I'm curious how long, or short, of a leash he will have with the coaching staff and fans IF he begins to perform poorly considering the talent around him on paper.
I'll just simply state "old" "bad" Geno was before he arrived on our team. Regression is normally associated with injury/loss of play maker(s)/loss of O-Line structure/rookie who got by with no tape available for opponent to "study"/loss of Coach or Offensive Coordinator/outside "personal" issues...Geno has arrived and barring injury he demonstrates no situations to suffer regression...tougher schedule might have impact but won't regress his skill set.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Then I would say the Seahawks had a fantastic season!

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Interesting topic. A few ways to think about this:

Will Geno regress this year? Maybe, but probably not a ton.

How bad will it be if he regresses a bit? We're a run first team and a fairly talented offensive team. We shouldn't be asking a ton from our QB, and shouldn't be winning/losing games based on his shoulders at the same rate as other teams.

How long of a leash would Pete give him if he regresses? A long one - probably stretching's deep into the year. Pete seems open to changes pre-season, but often locks things down in the season.

How long of a leash would I give him if he regresses? Similar to what I think the team would do, I would ride with him until deep into the season - probably around the time that we are out of reasonable playoff contention. But, I think you only bench him once, and then it's permanent.

When do we draft the QB of the future? I tend to believe that our next starting QB isn't on the team yet, so I think it's time to draft that guy soon - probably in 2024.

Mick063

Reaction score
He will be better. He will be an ice-cold killer. I will come back here with a whole fistful of righteous "told ya so". I am keeping score on this one. He led the league in completion percentage, and it wasn't the "dink and dunk" crap that got him there. For cripes sakes.

Even if he doesn't get much better (Which I don't believe will happen). Even if he is the same as last year. He will be playing to the value of his contract. If every player does that, the team wins a championship.
I'm looking at you Adams.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IF the defense can improve the run defense, it would be HUGE for this offense imo. Time of possession catches up to a defense. They need to get off the field a hell of a lot faster this season. Thus, getting the offense back on the field more often, and hopefully an offense that can eat up a lot of TOP.
Dam You!! I was going to harp on the exact same thing! lol
I was thinking on the old theory of not just how great the 'Continuity' gig is going to be for the Offensive line & Geno, but how much more the Playbook gets opened up to Geno's new offensive weaponry.
The Defense absolutely does affect how well the Offense stands up to the T.O.P., More Offensive opportunities = more possible chances to win the games.
Last year, the load and expectations on Geno having to carry/cover for crappy Defensive play was ridiculous.
I believe that this year, the Defense will be markedly better (couldn't be much worse) lolol

Fade

Reaction score
Having a proper slot WR, greater depth at RB, and what should be an improved interior line, the tackles in yr 2, yr 2 as a starter for himself as well. Everything points to him being even better. I expect drastic Red Zone improvement, which will make his numbers look eyepopping.

I will be shocked if he doesn't throw 40 TD passes, or complete 70% of his passes, or both. I'd predict 50 TD passes, but Pete is.cool with scoring enough points. Make no mistake this offense has the fire power to put up those kind of numbers.

It took having no one at RB, a banged up O-Line, and a pathetic defense, forcing Geno to press, for him to start having bad games. There is a cause and effect to those things, and some might not be realizing it. Instead calling it regression.

He was going to throw 40 TDs easy last year before the wheels came off.

There is a pressure put on the QB when his defense can't stop anyone. They feel like they have to get points every possession and start forcing balls into coverage.

Last year's defense was one of the worst defenses I've ever seen in Seahawks history. Absolutely pathetic, could not stop the run, could.notngetn off the field.

No running game at times, they literally had injured RBs lining up as decoys in the.backfield because they had 0 healthy. Injuries on the O-Line to boot.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The only knock I have against Geno is I don't think he is an ice cold killer when the game is on the line with 2 minutes remaining.
Year one for Geno.....Feeling out ebb & flow, & coming to know the bridging's of himself & his Offensive teammates.
I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised with Geno & how he takes his play to the next level.

xray

Reaction score
Almost without exception , teams that go deep in the playoffs and/or appear in the SB have one common denominator...an exceptionally good or elite QB . Smith isn't either of those . He can help deliver winning seasons ; but not much beyond that IMHO .

bileever

Reaction score
A lot of it is going to be up to Waldron. Having seen Geno play for a whole season, Waldron now knows what he does best. He also saw what defenses did late in the season to slow us down. If Waldron can improve the scheme to fit the players he has and effectively counter the defensive moves this year, the offense shouldn't see any setbacks. Having been given these new pieces, we'll see how good Waldron really is.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Almost without exception , teams that go deep in the playoffs and/or appear in the SB have one common denominator...an exceptionally good or elite QB . Smith isn't either of those . He can help deliver winning seasons ; but not much beyond that IMHO .

Same

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

What SB winning QB in the last 10 years had an amazing SB? I think Mahomes has like 3-4 picks in his two SB wins, and averaged less than 250 yards passing. Same with Brady, his SB stats are downright mediocre. Stafford had a bad game.

The NFL is a team game, in all phases. I agree your QB needs to play efficiently and make key plays to go deep into the playoffs........and yeah Geno hasn't proven that yet.

But IMO we're worried about the wrong thing, and we used to have this same discussion with Russell. Everyone's worried about QB play when the real reason the Hawks dropped off after the SB years is they no longer had even a good defense to compete with the better teams in their division and conference.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
At the end of the game, when the game was on the line, was Geno cold blooded and clutch? Not really. Hopefully he will add that to his game. People can bag on the former guy as much as they want, but he was one of the best finishers in the history of the league. Mahomes and Brady are cold blooded when the game is on the line.
Couldn't care less about stats. Do you get it done with the game is on the line. I think he's capable, we just haven't seen a cold blooded killer in the 4th quarter and/or OT. YET

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
Bull.

I only have to go back to the NFC Championship game last year - 49ers with Mr. Irrelevant starting (after starting much of the year). The Eagles. with Jalen Hurts starting. Neither of them exceptionally good or elite. (Hurts could be, but one good year doesn't make him exceptional.)

Torc

Reaction score
Hurts had one (very) good year after two mediocre years. High ceiling, but that doesn't make him elite or anything.