WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT!!--Monday Night weather

HawkWow

Reaction score
FDNYHAWK":1jv86xas said:
I looked into this a couple of weeks ago,
Wilson played 1 yr. at Wisconsin. Never had a snow game and the coldest game he ever played in was 46 degrees at Ohio state, if I remember correctly. Since the last game of the regular season is at the end of nov. he didn't practice much in cold weather either. I'm guessing, while preparing for the bowl game they practiced inside a lot.

Whether or not RW has actually played in snow, which I'm sure he has, has little bearing on whether or not he is capable of performing well in the snow. And when I say snow...I actually mean a slick surface.

Offenses always do better than defenses when footing is questionable. The offense knows where they are running to on the field, the defense does not, and is forced to react to the movements of the offensive player. So imagine a D-lineman trying to catch RW (or Harvin) in such conditions. It would (will?) be laughable. Especially if you're a fan of (opponent's) groin pulls.

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
Hawkwow. It doesn't have a bearing weather he can play in the snow or not. I was just stating just because he played a yr at Wisconsin doesn't mean he played a game in the snow. You say you're sure he has played a game in the snow, as I stated, I looked it up and he hasn't. Hasn't even played a game when it was below 40 degrees.
Doesn't mean he can't play in it, just said he hasn't.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":nijc1mcu said:
Seahwkgal":nijc1mcu said:
Thank god Russell had experience playing in Wisconsin. :th2thumbs:

Umm, you do realize that he played the first three of his four college seasons at North Carolina State, right? That is in the South. Brees, on the other hand, played his whole college career in the cold winters at Purdue.

Ummm, yes I am aware of all facts concerning Wilson(NC state) and Brees. I have been to Boilermaker stadium for numerous games when my brother played starting LT there for 2 years before Brees came on the scene(bro' played with Alstott). My brother told me the coldest game he ever played was against Wisconsin at a road game. I never experienced super cold games at Purdue and we went to all his home games during that span. Just sayin...... ;)

Saints33

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":17plb7kr said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022350072_coldweathexml.html

It's gonna be crappy and cold, with a chance of SNOW for the Saints in the Clink on MNF. Dome team from the south gonna get reamed by the weather as well as the 12th Man while Wilson gets to work.

Well, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the weather. I mean half the guys on our team played football up north either in college or pro, or guys like Hawthorne that played in Seattle. Brees himself played at Purdue in Indiana, he has played good at Green Bay and Chicago late in the year.

Saints33

Reaction score
jawilljr":snjqp1oo said:
Since 2006, but excluding 2012 when Payton was suspended, the Saints are 2-6 in games where the temperature is 40 degrees or colder and the starters are playing. The two wins came over 4-12 teams (Washington in 2009, Cincinnati in 2010).

Some of those games I remember vividly and they were on the defense and not Brees. We have had some horrible defenses since Brees has been here, especially 07, 08, and 2012.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong on my other post but I thought I remembered us beating Green Bay in December maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
HawkWow":2ysf7w3r said:
FDNYHAWK":2ysf7w3r said:
Wilson played 1 yr. at Wisconsin. Never had a snow game and the coldest game he ever played in was 46 degrees at Ohio state, if I remember correctly. Since the last game of the regular season is at the end of nov. he didn't practice much in cold weather either. I'm guessing, while preparing for the bowl game they practiced inside a lot.

Whether or not RW has actually played in snow, which I'm sure he has, has little bearing on whether or not he is capable of performing well in the snow. And when I say snow...I actually mean a slick surface.

Offenses always do better than defenses when footing is questionable. The offense knows where they are running to on the field, the defense does not, and is forced to react to the movements of the offensive player. So imagine a D-lineman trying to catch RW (or Harvin) in such conditions. It would (will?) be laughable. Especially if you're a fan of (opponent's) groin pulls.

Or imagine a defender trying to catch Darren Sproles, Pierre Thomas or Lance Moore in such conditions. Yes, if it is so, it will be laughable. But then again, of all these players the only one I know of that have had an issue with groin pulls is Harvin.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1bb5vrew said:
AsylumGuido":1bb5vrew said:
Seahwkgal":1bb5vrew said:
Thank god Russell had experience playing in Wisconsin. :th2thumbs:

Umm, you do realize that he played the first three of his four college seasons at North Carolina State, right? That is in the South. Brees, on the other hand, played his whole college career in the cold winters at Purdue.

Ummm, yes I am aware of all facts concerning Wilson(NC state) and Brees. I have been to Boilermaker stadium for numerous games when my brother played starting LT there for 2 years before Brees came on the scene(bro' played with Alstott). My brother told me the coldest game he ever played was against Wisconsin at a road game. I never experienced super cold games at Purdue and we went to all his home games during that span. Just sayin...... ;)

Point taken, milady, advantage comes down to natural ability and experience in general, then.

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
Wilsons coldest home game at Wisconsin was 51 degrees
Coldest away game was 43 degrees at Ohio state.

That's not cold at all.

HawkWow

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":2s6t3csu said:
HawkWow":2s6t3csu said:
FDNYHAWK":2s6t3csu said:

Or imagine a defender trying to catch Darren Sproles, Pierre Thomas or Lance Moore in such conditions. Yes, if it is so, it will be laughable. But then again, of all these players the only one I know of that have had an issue with groin pulls is Harvin.

Perhaps I didn't explain my point well enough (wasn't writing for Saints fans). Harvin (like Sproles) does his best to mirror the QB when a play breaks down. RW, (much more so than) Brees, scrambles a lot behind the line of scrimmage, looking downfield for a WR, or for a Harvin more near the line. This is why I said imagine a D-lineman trying to catch RW (or Harvin) in such conditions.

My point about groin pulls was directed at those linemen, slipping and sliding, trying to chase a target that knows where it is going, when they do not. Ever play football in the snow? It's a common occurrence and a very real concern.

I've followed Harvin's career since Florida. I don't recall him having a history of groin pulls. It wouldn't surprise me if "groin pull" showed up on some injury report, in Harvin's case, that don't make it legit. In closing, my point was Seattle, at the Clink, will have an easier time with weather than N.O. at the Clink. Do you disagree?

HawkWow

Reaction score
FDNYHAWK":bwcqw4k9 said:
Hawkwow. It doesn't have a bearing weather he can play in the snow or not. I was just stating just because he played a yr at Wisconsin doesn't mean he played a game in the snow. You say you're sure he has played a game in the snow, as I stated, I looked it up and he hasn't. Hasn't even played a game when it was below 40 degrees.

You sound like you feel I took exception to your post (in quoting you). I did not. I used your post to discuss circumstances related to a slippery field. I did contradict you in suggesting Wilson never played in the snow. Because he didn't play a game in snow while at UW, does not mean he's never played football in the snow. In his entire life?? I live in Hawaii, I've played football in the snow.

Wilson was born in snowy Ohio, then moved to Virginia and N.C. before Wisc. It snows in all of those places, but you seriously believe Wilson, a midget that managed to play his way into the NFL, never played football, at any level, in the snow?

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
HawkWow":1aotg9wg said:
FDNYHAWK":1aotg9wg said:

You sound like you feel I took exception to your post (in quoting you). I did not. I used your post to discuss circumstances related to a slippery field. I did contradict you in suggesting Wilson never played in the snow. Because he didn't play a game in snow while at UW, does not mean he's never played football in the snow. In his entire life?? I live in Hawaii, I've played football in the snow.

Wilson was born in snowy Ohio, then moved to Virginia and N.C. before Wisc. It snows in all of those places, but you seriously believe Wilson, a midget that managed to play his way into the NFL, never played football, at any level, in the snow?

He may have played in the snow. But, in Brees' much longer and more experienced career he has most definitely played in the snow.

But, all that said, the biggest factor will be the importance of the game and the pressure it carries. We'll have to wait and see which squad can handle it best. I have my idea.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":1wan1281 said:
I have my idea.

Does your idea include having thought about the fact that we played nearly the whole year with both tackles out, (and half of those games nearly, with our starting center out, too) and no Percy Harvin until just last week?

Just checking; and I wouldn't hang your hat on the games we screwed the pooch on, like going down 21-0 to Tampa Bay.

HawkWow

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":2pgq8jb4 said:
HawkWow":2pgq8jb4 said:
FDNYHAWK":2pgq8jb4 said:

He may have played in the snow. But, in Brees' much longer and more experienced career he has most definitely played in the snow.

But, all that said, the biggest factor will be the importance of the game and the pressure it carries. We'll have to wait and see which squad can handle it best. I have my idea.

No question Brees has a lot of snow / weather behind him. Maybe I've muddied the waters so my point continues to be missed. I'll try again and appreciate your patience:

Regardless of who has played in snow, or hasn't...Wilson's style of play is going to cause more problems for D-linemen, on a slippery surface, than the style of (the superior QB) Drew Brees. I will spare everybody by not going back into why that would (probably) be. For more on this, Youtube Fran Tarkenton / snow game and watch the circus.

I brought Harvin into the mix because a scrambling Wilson, on such a surface, would make for an even more dangeruss Percy Harvin. LBs will also be slipping around while tracking Wilson, Harvin just needs to find a spot. Make the catch, a juke and he's gone. I have compared Sproles to Harvin many times. He is a machine and I believe averaging about 10 YP touch. But I don't believe the combination of Brees and Sproles woud be superior to Wilson / Harvin in this scenario. But you know what? It ain't gonna' snow Monday night. Good health to you and your team. Will we be seeing you here on Tuesday?

OrFan

Reaction score
So, I was just checking the current weather forecast and it shows 0 percent chance of precipitation for Monday.

muxpux

Reaction score
yeah, the current forecast isnt looking good for a "snow game". itll be near freezing and there may be flakes in the air, but its hardly gonna be a white field and dumping snow.

LATE MONDAY...WINDY FRASER OUTFLOW WILL START TO AFFECT THE
BELLINGHAM AREA AND THE SAN JUAN ISLANDS...BRINGING A COLDER AND
DRIER AIR MASS INTO WESTERN WASHINGTON STRAIGHT FROM THE INTERIOR OF
CANADA. AS THE LEADING EDGE OF THE AIR MASS SLIPS SOUTH THROUGH THE
PUGET SOUND LOWLANDS ON MONDAY EVENING...A FEW SNOW SHOWERS MAY TAKE
PLACE WITH SPOTTY ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE. AT THIS TIME...IT LOOKS
LIKE MANY LOWLAND LOCATIONS WILL ESCAPE WITH LITTLE OR NO
ACCUMULATING SNOW.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If the weather is adverse, it is a flat out advantage for Seattle. They play their best football at home in crappy weather. They are used to it and their game is not hindered in any way by it.

Ultimately, all that matters to me is Lynch's ability to drag Saints defenders for a 5-6 yard ride when they try to tackle him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope we get a blizzard. Lynch will run a train & yell out "choo choooooooooooooo" while dragging a line of Saints defenders behind him since nobody can get the leverage to tackle him in the snow. :lol:

Sac

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1le21ive said:
I hope we get a blizzard. Lynch will run a train & yell out "choo choooooooooooooo" while dragging a line of Saints defenders behind him since nobody can get the leverage to tackle him in the snow. :lol:

[youtube]tjQH7V0O6Lo[/youtube]

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Brees is half the QB he is in a Dome when he's playing outdoors...That's a fact Jack.

This game shouldn't be in any doubt. We are the better team, playing at home in the loudest, most disruptive place to play in the entire NFL.

To say I am worried is a laughable statement.