What does Green Bay have that we don't?

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Keep in mind, Green Bay was our trade partner all those years we kept moving back in the draft. They’ve done a great job with the draft and nailed FA with the Smith Bro’s. They chose quality over quantity. Erin is the best in the biz when he’s on. They also ran wild which has a huge impact keeping the d honest.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Packers didn't punt the ball in a first half in which the team established early that it would be more about grinding out yardage on the ground than riding Rodgers' right arm.

When Green Bay came out after the half up nine, Rodgers didn't complete a single pass on the drive that put the Rams on their heels the rest of the way—a six-play, 75-yard march that culminated in a one-yard Jones plunge.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/292 ... nstoppable

Rodgers was sacked ZERO times. Why? A great running game, a quick passing game, and up tempo plays that never let the defense catch it's breath, or rotate players.

TraderGary

Reaction score
To the OP's original question.....

1. Better coaching
2. Better OL
3. A QB who's willing and/or able to take what the defense is giving them vs trying to force the ball down the field when it's well covered, or taking an unnecessary sack by holding the ball too long when receivers are wide open underneath.

I love Russ, but he is not in the same elite category as Rodgers or Mahomes. I would put him at the top of the 2nd tier along with Josh Allen who's approaching the elite category. As Rodgers, Brees, and Brady approach retirement, I think Mahomes and Allen are going to be the new standard that other QB's are measured against.

That said, I would really like to see what Russ could do in an offense that was built and designed around his greatest strengths, but we've never had that with the Hawks. I tend to think in the right offensive system, Russ could possibly be in that elite category.

I really hope we're able to throw enough money at Doug Pederson to convince him to take the OC job. I think he's capable of building the type of offensive philosophy that would take advantage of RW's abilities along with our other skill players. I just don't think Anthony Lynn is the answer.

Somos doces

Reaction score
vonstout":2jx8r0pl said:
I live by Madison, WI so I don’t have a choice but to watch the Packers. Freeman is the best WR in the game right now. He made Ramsey look bad several times, but the TD was all in the motion. Give Metcalf time and he will be as good as Freeman if not better. But the biggest difference is their OL and DBs. The Rams not having Kupp was huge today and Donald was nowhere near healthy. Their D still played well though. The weather wasn’t bad, but it was still cold and they allowed a crowd at the game that made a lot of noise in both GB and Buff. Even though it was frustrating to see that, I give the Hawks credit for being the most COVID conscious team in the league. If Pete wants to run the ball more, I honestly wouldn’t be that upset if they trade Russ if they can get a big offer, but regardless they need to make the OLthe #1 priority
Apologies, but who is Freeman?

vonstout

Reaction score
Somos doces":1mkrj7jw said:
vonstout":1mkrj7jw said:
I live by Madison, WI so I don’t have a choice but to watch the Packers. Freeman is the best WR in the game right now. He made Ramsey look bad several times, but the TD was all in the motion. Give Metcalf time and he will be as good as Freeman if not better. But the biggest difference is their OL and DBs. The Rams not having Kupp was huge today and Donald was nowhere near healthy. Their D still played well though. The weather wasn’t bad, but it was still cold and they allowed a crowd at the game that made a lot of noise in both GB and Buff. Even though it was frustrating to see that, I give the Hawks credit for being the most COVID conscious team in the league. If Pete wants to run the ball more, I honestly wouldn’t be that upset if they trade Russ if they can get a big offer, but regardless they need to make the OLthe #1 priority
Apologies, but who is Freeman?

Wrong Devante. My bad

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I'm not giving aaron the nod on anything. They didnt demolish the rams and this season I've see my fair share of unfair bs when packers play. It's like everything is gift wrapped and handed to rodgers like here take my money. Dont believe me...go.watch his game vs raiders and titans this year. He is a good qb, but the only thing he has on wilson is experience. That's it. Otherwise he would also be a multiple superbowl champion if you want to keep saying one player makes or breaks in a team game. He has won once. He was the best qb, before wilson showed up, brees broke all the records and brady has 6 rings.

Oh and it's pretty clear. Rodgers not sacked at all. Wilson against same rams 5 sacks.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
getnasty":fxq561rd said:
Rodgers makes the OL look elite becuase he gets the ball out. They didn't even have there best OL and they still didn't give up a sack.

Did we watch the same game?

That O-line opened up WIDE holes for over 160 rushing yards. Did any of our running backs break off a 60 yard run this year?

Rodgers had PLENTY of time. If you’re saying that Rodgers would perform exactly the same with the Seahawks O-line, I don’t know what else to tell you

Scorpion05

Reaction score
IndyHawk":itewm2rf said:
Erin is the difference..Case in point he fires that TD to the side -Same pass Russ tried for a pick 6
Erin executes quick and sees things better
..The height matters as it helps more.
It's all short to mid range passes and he throws all well so you can't get him by blitzing
or you get burned..Saying PC doesn't allow these passes is BS..I see the same games
and see the WR's open-I just don't think Russ does..He used to more when he could
scramble faster without getting chased down but now?I think he's been exposed.
I want to be wrong but damn there is no sugarcoating it from me.

Lol. The defense literally knew what play we were running. There wasn't anything Rodgers did "faster" that would have prevented a pick 6 in the same scenario. The defender broke on the ball the moment it was snapped.

Also, Rodgers almost threw 2 interceptions, back to back in the defender's hands in the 2nd quarter. Went right through the Rams players hands, twice.

SlickRick":itewm2rf said:
I'm one of the biggest Russell Wilson fans you'll ever meet,& I put on blinders/ make excuses even when Russ has a bad game. Let me start off by saying the Packers & Rams are in my teams I dislike with a passion List. I may take a lot of heat for this,but in my honest Opinion & heart of hearts...Aaron Rodgers is the difference.

Russell Wilson is an Elite B+ to A- Qb on his great days, & Rodgers is an A+ to A- on his bad days. He's a Tad bit better than Russ. When Wilson was younger I thought man when he gets to be in his 30s he will be a monster. But he's pretty much been the same guy. Hell of a QB,but teams he should beat he tends to shrink sometimes.

I love the Seahawks & Russ, but I can see that Rodgers head to head vs Wilson is a smidge better.

TraderGary":itewm2rf said:
To the OP's original question.....

1. Better coaching
2. Better OL
3. A QB who's willing and/or able to take what the defense is giving them vs trying to force the ball down the field when it's well covered, or taking an unnecessary sack by holding the ball too long when receivers are wide open underneath.

I love Russ, but he is not in the same elite category as Rodgers or Mahomes. I would put him at the top of the 2nd tier along with Josh Allen who's approaching the elite category. As Rodgers, Brees, and Brady approach retirement, I think Mahomes and Allen are going to be the new standard that other QB's are measured against.

That said, I would really like to see what Russ could do in an offense that was built and designed around his greatest strengths, but we've never had that with the Hawks. I tend to think in the right offensive system, Russ could possibly be in that elite category.

I really hope we're able to throw enough money at Doug Pederson to convince him to take the OC job. I think he's capable of building the type of offensive philosophy that would take advantage of RW's abilities along with our other skill players. I just don't think Anthony Lynn is the answer.

Okay, let me ask you all this then.

If McCarthy was still the coach of the Packers, would Aaron have performed as well? YES...or NO??

If the answer to that is no, why not? Since we're ignoring how poorly our O-line played compared to the Packers. And since we're ignoring how creative their scheme is.

I mean...I guess O-line protection doesn't matter? Maybe we should post videos of Rodgers clearly holding the ball at times for 4, 5, 6 seconds without a defender laying a glove on him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's really a credit to Russ how defensive many here get when he is compared unfavorably to one of the best QBs of all time having one of the best seasons of his career.

You don't have to like Rodgers personally, but I don't know how you could watch that game as a neutral fan and not see that Rodgers was great in it. He absolutely made his OL, receivers, RBs and coaching staff look better than they are.

And you know what? We've seen Russ play like that too. Hopefully we make some good moves this off-season and the OC change helps him out, but it's just a fact that our success in 2021 is going to be heavily impacted by how well Russ plays. That's just how it is when you have a franchise QB; we're probably not going to win the Super Bowl, but we have a decent enough chance at it if Russ gets on a hot streak at the right time.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
We can all point fingers as to who’s being defensive, who’s hating on Russ, etc. That isn’t my point.

My point is, would Rodgers have performed this well, against that defense, under Mike McCarthy?

Defending Russ is one thing. Criticizing Russ while ignoring all other factors is another. The very premise of this thread, is to compare us to the Packers.

Pretending as if the same QB who was bashed under McCarthy in recent years, isn’t getting TREMENDOUS help from the O-line protection, with a CLEAN pocket for most of the day. And then ignoring the wide open running lanes his running backs got...is not objective. My issue is how biased towards Russ in comparison many don’t realize they are. I never said Rodgers isn’t playing great. He’s got a great scheme and protection to work with, and he’s executing beautifully.

But he would NOT be doing this under McCarthy, behind a Texans, Jets, or Seahawks O-line. Rodgers has had great protection his entire career and he holds onto the ball.

5thgen

Reaction score
Rogers > russ. No sacks today because he's releasing early. For those who say donald was not 100%, in the hawks game he was out the second half and russ didnt do sh!t.

getnasty

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3b8aukf1 said:
getnasty":3b8aukf1 said:
Rodgers makes the OL look elite becuase he gets the ball out. They didn't even have there best OL and they still didn't give up a sack.

Did we watch the same game?

That O-line opened up WIDE holes for over 160 rushing yards. Did any of our running backs break off a 60 yard run this year?

Rodgers had PLENTY of time. If you’re saying that Rodgers would perform exactly the same with the Seahawks O-line, I don’t know what else to tell you

Seattle and Green Bay had the same ypc in 2020 so literally the same OL in terms of rushing.

The biggest difference is pass pro. Seattle gave up 27 more sacks in 2020 and if you want to include playoffs it'sactually 32 more. Is that OL? Is that coaching? Is that Russell holding on to the ball to long? Probably all 3.

I'm sure Rodgers would do fine here throwing to Metcalf and Lockett

xray

Reaction score
GB has what the other contenders for a SB ring has . A gr8 OL and a gr8 run game and a QB that can consistently make correct split second reads and releases throughout the game . The Hawks don't really have any of that . For whatever reasons , Wilson doesn't have his A game in post season anymore . IMO

RockinHawks

Reaction score
One thing I constantly see in Rogers' game is that his vision is ELITE. Yeah he's got great footwork, etc., but he sees EVERYTHING. Russ struggles to see open players sometimes, or others he sees them too late. Rogers sees it all and always makes the decision at the right time. This leads to less sacks, and less INT's.

I love Russ, but sometimes the lack of an adequate line hurts his vision, sometimes it's height, and many times it's the playcalling. But often, there are guys open and Russ misses them or is running the other way because of a breakdown in protection.

It feels like Green Bay's defense is a little more aggressive at key times, or at least they're getting the right call, or one or two guys are getting to the QB more aggressively.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Rams pick 6 happened because the defender was only a few yards away and could easily recognize the play. We were also in shotgun formation, giving the defender an extra second to diagnose the play. Why would we run that play from shotgun, anyway? I know they talked up the defender and all that, but that was an easy one. When I see other teams throw WR screens, it seems like the QB usually takes the snap under center.

But yeah, our whole offense needs to improve. Blocking, route running, QB vision and of course the run game. Then we will be as good as Green Bay.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The Packers actually gameplan for their opponents. We go into each game with the identical gameplan every game and it shows

Scorpion05

Reaction score
This is what Rodgers looks like when his pocket collapses + an uncreative scheme:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/QBFilmRoom/status/1064061709801934848[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/samuelrgold/status/1063271242747338752[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Cole__C/status/907040800911085568[/tweet]

Notice the difference in the pocket between the above, and then these examples:

No free rusher coming at Rodgers. He holds it for about 6 seconds. Allowing Rodgers to have confidence in his O-line, move well in the pocket, trusting no one will get free. Russ doesn't have that luxury, do you think the Packers would ever allow Iupati near their O-line??

[tweet]https://twitter.com/espn/status/1350586418318471171[/tweet]

Clean pocket. Allowing Rodgers to relax, set his feet. No rusher coming at him, no risk of getting hit. WR gets open deep immediately because of great scheme. Throws it at 3 seconds

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ringernfl/status/1350598150122205185[/tweet]

Look at how long he holds the ball here. But the O-line for the most part holds up, allowing him to comfortably move around and throw the ball.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BillyHeyen/status/1350577333468606466[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Rodgers trusts himself and has no fear of throwing in windows.

Russell has a little Pete Voice in his head saying Turnovers are bad we will run if we get an interception.