What are your honest thoughts on Gus Bradley???

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I have a feeling his schemes would look a lot better with linemen who collapse the pocket.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I think the talent on the field makes him look a lot better than he is. Other coaches have achieved the same with less, so it seems to me that he's not bringing much to the table. At least that's the view from my couch. How many more All Pro/Pro Bowlers does he need on that side of the ball before he's able to close out games?

I wouldn't miss him if he left.

HawkHack

Reaction score
I would guess that at that point the offense (ATL) is basically rolling the dice. They know they're passing; we know they're passing. I don't see why Bradley or any other DC would knowingly do anything other than counter in the way most likely to succeed, given the players on the field.

ATL rolled a couple of double 6s ... twice in a row. Maybe three times in a row, if you count the FG. It happens.

That said, it is weird that the "2-minute drill" seems to result in points more often than not. I mean, it worked for us the series just before that.

It makes you wonder why teams don't just do that all game. In fact, that is what Chip Kelly does at Oregon, and it seems pretty successful. Your D ends up totally gassed from spending all their time on the field, but if you build a big enough lead...

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I'd like to kick him in the balls. Those are my honest thoughts. Hope we get to play against a team he's the head coach of. 30 seconds and that was what he dialed up? Ouch.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
HawkHack":2h80u1rk said:
ATL rolled a couple of double 6s

And Detroit? And Miami? And Chicago? When that many teams roll 6s on you in the final seconds to win the game, it's no longer luck or coincidence. In fact, I don't think this defense posted a stop to ice a victory all season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1sntfvxp said:
HawkHack":1sntfvxp said:
ATL rolled a couple of double 6s

And Detroit? And Miami? And Chicago? When that many teams roll 6s on you in the final seconds to win the game, it's no longer luck or coincidence. In fact, I don't think this defense posted a stop to ice a victory all season.

New England game.

But your point is taken. Arizona, Detroit, Miami. And yes, Chicago, even though we won. A very pathetic record for closing out "shoulda" wons.
Pass rush. Pass rush. Pass rush.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Just from a continuity standpoint, I'd like to keep Bradley around. I do think the D is more Pete than Bradley, but give the man his due. I think he's doing the best he can with the available talent, and the DBs are the strength of the team. A stud pass rushing DE, DT, or LB, and Bradley would have a few more options to work with.

I personally won't shed any tears if he leaves, but I think we are a better team WITH him than without him, because of the continuity factor, knowledge of personnel, etc. I doubt after this latest late-game meltdown if suitors will still be interested, given the sheer number of games given away at the end, after RW had them won. I think next year, after a Super Bowl run, with a pass-rusher or two added, that would be his time.
I can't see any owners getting a fan base excited about a Bradley whose defense handed the game to the Falcons, who needed only 30 seconds to go 40 yards.
I'd expect all the owners will pass on Bradley *this year*.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
At this point, with how vulnerable we remain in the middle of the field and our first-half offensive woes nearly every friggin' game, I'm not sure I'd be sad to see either of our coordinators go. Also, just because a new offensive coordinator comes in, doesn't mean you have to change the offense for your QB. Look at the Broncos with bringing Peyton in.

Can't believe we let them get in field goal range at the end...Sigh...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have never been that sold on the guy to be 100% honest. Same with Bevell. Of course, I feel differently when the players themselves tell me they love the guys but for my money, I think we could do better at both positions. And yes, I would honestly say that even if we won today.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
He is more of the organization and day-todaytype of co-ordinator. He definitely isn't creating his own philosophy and didn't even when Mora was there.

He serves the same role Schneider does with personnel. He lays the table for the week and Pete picks.

Additionally, similar to Schneider, Pete sets the basic parameters.

Hawk n Load

Reaction score
It's rare for a guy to stay on with a new coaching regime, as Gus stayed on after the Mora putrosity. Gus clearly impresses people at the interview stage. I agree we just don't know, but Pete is not a sentimental guy.

Check out the article on Cover-3 defense at Field Gulls for more on Seattle's philosophy. This team's scheme will always be susceptible to comeback routes and intermediate gains. Pete believes in his schemes, it is no secret, he won't trick people with his basic philosophies.

Schadie001

Reaction score
You can say what you want about a coach but when the play is called and the ball is snapped the players on the field have to make a play. I coached middle school football for several years and we won a championship one year, the next only won a single game. Our coaching style didn't change but the players on the field did. You can be the best or worst coach for that matter, but you can only do with what you have. Unfortunately, our players didn't make plays at the end of the game and theirs did.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
The prevent defense is designed to prevent touchdowns, not field goals. Clearly, with 30 seconds left, the Falcons were going to try to get into FG position and thus the prevent was not the right defense. Our coaches have called it a "soft zone", but it was clearly a prevent defense.

Barthawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2c410zz1 said:
Pete Carroll has a ton of control over the offense and defense. It's impossible to criticise one play without knowing who was responsible.

All of our coaches are doing a great job. We won 12 games this season in total. Let's not find scapegoats!!!

Well put! 12 wins and 6 losses by a combined 26 points.. we have not be out of a game in the 4th quarter since the 2nd game of the 2011 season. This team will only get better and continuity with the key players/coaches is the best way to ensure our future success.

Bradley/Bevell take turns being whipping boys around here, but remember that the other teams we play are professionals are also allowed to make good plays and win games occassionally.

Tackling was our #1 enemy yesterday not scheme IMO.

themunn

Reaction score
HawkHack":31o5sccz said:
It makes you wonder why teams don't just do that all game. In fact, that is what Chip Kelly does at Oregon, and it seems pretty successful. Your D ends up totally gassed from spending all their time on the field, but if you build a big enough lead...

Well that's kind of the basis of the no-huddle offense we ran against Atlanta/New York last year, the reason we didn't keep with it is because it's GREAT when it works, but if you go out and run three quick plays and go three and out you've just shot your defense in the foot because they've got to go back out, and if they've just come off the field after a 6-7 minute drive, you can be fairly certain they're going to give up chunks of yardage once again

I think a mix-up of the two is what's needed - start your drive off with 4-5 plays which chew up some clock and keep the defense on the field, then just start ragging on the defense.

Showmeyourtd's

Reaction score
Call me crazy, id be cool if Gus left. Look at the players he has around him, that is why we are good. I would want a more blitzing DC i think we are 20th something when it comes to blitz, and we have a really good secondary who can handle the 1 on 1 assingments.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
We have world class elite players in our secondary. Yes, we lack a pass rush, but that doesn't matter at the end of games like this. We should be bringing 2-4 max and dropping the rest in coverage. Whatever Gus is doing in these scaenarios is total SHIT and does not work. He's had plenty of time to figure it out, and he doesn't.

DET
MIA
CHI
ATL

There's no excuse. We have the players to shut this situation down.

In all honesty, I love PC with a passion. More than any coach we've had before. But I look at him and his entire staff (save for Cable) and I feel like they have players that are beyond what they know how to handle.

For example: I see them as "the guy" who buys the impressive home theater system when he only knows how to use it in its most basic functionality. It has all the bells and whistles, and he knows it's top of the line, but he'll never be able to use it at its full potential.

This worries me. Maybe I don't feel exactly that way about Pete, but I DO feel that way about our coordinators. I am mad about yesterday's game because we made enough bad coaching decisions that we could blame this loss on those decisions. That one goes for Pete too. For the most part, our players were about as good as you can be within the confines of an NFL playoff game.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Put a Suh or even Ngata on our D-line and I doubt this thread exists. Plainly as much as we like them, our current interior D linemen just do not cut mustard as pass rushers. Increase our interior pressure and our ends become even bigger weapons.

Sturm

Reaction score
Rat":1l9pch4w said:
It's hard to tell how good the DC is when the head coach is defense oriented. Kind of like how we never really knew how good of a coach Gil Haskell was.

I'd rather Bradley stick around for continuity sake, but I won't lose any sleep if he becomes the Eagles (or somebody else's) next head coach.

It might be Pete's D, but it's Bradley who makes the defensive calls and he's the one who opted for the soft zone at the end of the game.

tek5

Reaction score
I have no clue about Bradley, I just keep thinking about how AWESOME nick Holt was at Washington

Latest posts