Watching Brees last night....................

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The major difference between elite and very good QBs is the ability to make those around you better. Michael Jordan did that for the Bulls in basketball. Drew Brees makes his receivers better. How many receivers has Brees gone through but still manages to put up consistent numbers? He is able to help his receivers be better. Brady does it for the Pats, and Rodgers does it for the Packers. An elite QB makes his receivers better. Wilson is not there yet. Which receiver has gotten better because of him? That's no knock Wilson. He is only 4 years in the league. No one in his draft class is at the elite level. Russell can get there. Hope he does.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3dm3iwin said:
Fair points, but the GIFS of RW missing wide open receivers while he flails around in the backfield for no reason are not limited to just the OT example from last Sunday. There are examples posted here in .NET nearly every week.

Its a problem.

Damnit, see I know you're right; I just wasn't quite ready to exit the Denial stage yet.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Largent80":a6a37hmc said:
I find it amusing and funny that people are listing so many reasons of why things are going the way they are.

Blaming the D for not closing out games with a 40 to 20 minute discrepancy in top.

Blaming Russel for following orders. To me, this teams coaching on multiple levels has been lacking

We haven't changed anything on offense for YEARS now and the league has seen enough to even the field.

To this point I'd like to request,. Can we completely change up our offense against the rams?. Like just completely, 180 degrees do something different?. Between Wilson getting killed and the fact that the rams looking like they're in our huddle half the time, Bevell needs to change it up big-time against these teams that see it twice a year.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1wmo3fqn said:
The major difference between elite and very good QBs is the ability to make those around you better. Michael Jordan did that for the Bulls in basketball. Drew Brees makes his receivers better. How many receivers has Brees gone through but still manages to put up consistent numbers? He is able to help his receivers be better. Brady does it for the Pats, and Rodgers does it for the Packers. An elite QB makes his receivers better. Wilson is not there yet. Which receiver has gotten better because of him? That's no knock Wilson. He is only 4 years in the league. No one in his draft class is at the elite level. Russell can get there. Hope he does.

This is something I'm really interested in seeing play out - who among his cohorts will rise to Brady like levels and also, have Packers fans ever been as critical of Rodgers during his tenure when the team doesn't go to SBs?

AVL

Reaction score
Brees had a good game. Yippee. I've seen plenty of bad games from him as well.

Too bad everyone/ anyone can't be more consistent.

justafan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1lmb4mru said:
justafan":1lmb4mru said:
The experience isnt really a factor if you consider how good Brees was in his 3rd and 4th year.He is one of the best in his time.
I doubt Russel will ever become the type of QB Brees is.The guy is fearless. Whether he has thrown 4 interceptions or 1,he has that shooter mentality and confidence he can make the next play.

You cant run a consistent offense without your QB having elite timing and the willingness to let er rip.Playing safe at QB means you are you are relying on D and a running game.

I love Wilson but you have to accept what he is in this offense.
BUNK!
Russell Wilson is quite capable of "Letting It Rip", but Pete Carroll still has him in the "Protect The Ball" mode, and that's why we're all seeing him play with reservations.
Pete Carroll has developed an Offense that he feels, has best chances to succeed, (an two Super Bowl visits backs his theory up) and the two KEY players that made his recipe work, is a ground pounding Marshawn "The Beast" Lynch, and an elusive scrambling Russell Wilson, along with a Top of the Heap Defense.
It sure as hell hasn't been an all World Offensive Line.
Lynch's absence has put an extra load on Wilson to carry the team.

We assume Carroll has coached RW to be overly careful and thats why RW isnt getting the ball out on time consistently but we really dont know why exactly.

For whatever the reason Wilson is going to improvise more than the coaches want,the plays arent being ran the way they are drawn up as consistently as they would like.IMO the OP is right about Wilsons progression.

Very few can do what Breese can do so its not a knock on Wilson.Very few have been able to do what Wilson has done.They are just 2 completely different players.

RiverDog

Reaction score
AVL":u0n2o9im said:
Brees had a good game. Yippee. I've seen plenty of bad games from him as well.

Too bad everyone/ anyone can't be more consistent.

You're missing the point. The point isn't that Brees had a good game. The point is that he's Russell's role model and the player that Russell himself says he strive to be like. They have some important attributes in common, not the least of which they are both shorter than the prototypical NFL quarterback. The way Brees manages the pocket, as we saw in a very vivid display last Thursday, is not the way Russell is managing it.