Watching Brees last night....................

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24ggryq4 said:
mrt144":24ggryq4 said:
Sgt. Largent":24ggryq4 said:
bandiger":24ggryq4 said:
I don't how you can compare QBs that have been in the league for more than a decade, plus Saints value O-line and offense more than this team. The only thing I envy is having a play caller like Payton or Shanahan.

I thought Russell was suppose to be entering his prime.

There's are lots of 'suppose tos' in football. What if he's not? Better figure out how to deal with it for the next 3 seasons.

Well it's obvious he's not. I don't see any improvements over last year..............in fact due to him not being clutch late in any games this year, you could argue he's regressed a little.

Not all his fault, I understand. He's playing behind a all time bad pass pro line. But still, no progression towards what we all thought he could be, and MORE importantly what we're now paying him to be.

Exactly. That to me is why after this season no matter what Bevell has to go. We need to new play caller who can build and execute a more creative game plan that can more accurately play to Wilson's strengths. But also more importantly help him to rebuild that confidence and progression to get him back on track. If that can't be done then I wonder if we keep Wilson after his contract is up and PC has decided to call it a career.

kf3339

Reaction score
Aros":2v9oqrzo said:
Hasselbeck":2v9oqrzo said:
rxbzjq9.gif

That play is a classic example of when I said I admit, Wilson has had opportunities he's flat out missed. That is one of them. Take 'em when you got 'em Wilson.

I just wonder how much of this is also on the PC mantra of absolutely no turnovers that he pounded into RW's head since the moment he came to this team. To me Wilson is just too timid and I'm not sure how he gets himself out of that mode.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hh2syoq said:
mrt144":3hh2syoq said:
Sgt. Largent":3hh2syoq said:
bandiger":3hh2syoq said:
I don't how you can compare QBs that have been in the league for more than a decade, plus Saints value O-line and offense more than this team. The only thing I envy is having a play caller like Payton or Shanahan.

I thought Russell was suppose to be entering his prime.

There's are lots of 'suppose tos' in football. What if he's not? Better figure out how to deal with it for the next 3 seasons.

Well it's obvious he's not. I don't see any improvements over last year..............in fact due to him not being clutch late in any games this year, you could argue he's regressed a little.

Not all his fault, I understand. He's playing behind a all time bad pass pro line. But still, no progression towards what we all thought he could be, and MORE importantly what we're now paying him to be.

We're paying a premium to him to stay in Seattle instead of going to fish for a new one. I'm pretty sure we're paying about 5-7 Million a year above his numbers and impact to simply have a consistent cog in the machine. This team is not as plug and play as we've been lead to believe and it's showing.

Largent80

Reaction score
I didn't watch Brees last night, but I'll add that Russel Wilson is Russell Wilson, and not Drew Brees, regardless of height similarities.

He should have more rolling pockets for his style of play.

RussB

Reaction score
I'm a big Wilson fan but he really needs to start trusting his receivers more. He has Jimmy Graham and is scared to throw it to him.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":33dcx20i said:
I didn't watch Breed last night but I'll add that Russel Wilson s Russel Wilson and not Drew Breed, regardless of height similarities.
He should have more rolling pocket's for his style of play.

Yep.

One thing I noticed is how fast the Saints play on offense, compared to our slow plodding calculated style. I wish we'd play offense like we play defense, fast out of the huddle, WR's fast out of their breaks, lots of misdirection, Brees super confident in his reads quickly firing the ball around.

Sometimes IMO Russell's too smart for his own good, trying to out think the defense changing plays and waiting til the play clock's at zero. I want to see more constant frenetic tempo, not just wait til the 2:00 drill.

mrt144

Reaction score
The offense is playing at that pace by philosophical design though.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2opuxsox said:
Aros":2opuxsox said:
I am more concerned with the coaches not giving him full reign to act instinctively then I am anything else. It has a trickle down effect which I truly believe has been the primary cause of him not taking that next step that we know he has in him.

I do think that's part of it. Pete's philosophy has always been run first, protect the ball, make a couple explosive plays and put the game in the hands of the defense.

How's that working out?

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":3vi11zf2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3vi11zf2 said:
Aros":3vi11zf2 said:
I am more concerned with the coaches not giving him full reign to act instinctively then I am anything else. It has a trickle down effect which I truly believe has been the primary cause of him not taking that next step that we know he has in him.

I do think that's part of it. Pete's philosophy has always been run first, protect the ball, make a couple explosive plays and put the game in the hands of the defense.

How's that working out?

Up until now? Great. But with an underperforming D that can no longer close out games and a terrible O-line making it impossible to consistently move the ball, even just get key 3rd and 3 first downs? Not well at all.

Thus why I'd like to see an offensive philosophy change to what the Saints and Brees were doing last night. Pace, tempo, fast.

classicaaron

Reaction score
I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of Russ, i just dont think he contains the qualities all the elite quarterbacks have. He continues to just hold the ball entirely too long. I dont know how even the biggest supporters of him cant see this. Sure he has great scrambling ability, but just think how great that ability would be along with the ability to read a defense or throw into tight windows. Imagine if Brees could run the way Wilson does, we would be one of the best offenses in the NFL. In order to progress Wilson needs to rely on his scrambling only when the play completely falls apart, it happens a few times a game for every team. But he cant continue to think about running in circles first in hopes someone gets open by 5 yards before he even tries to read the defense.

I know our o-line isnt the greatest but i think Russ is making them look worse than they are. Does anyone really think Brady would be sacked this many times with our line. Hes getting rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds. You could get rid of the ball with a bunch of high school players playing line if you can make a decision that fast. Its why Brady is elite and Wilson is still inspiring to be.

Wilson to me is no better than he was a rookie. I realize he got us our only superbowl and will forever be greatful for that. But i have not seen him progress in that time, it was a matter of the rest of the team maturing at the right time to put it all together. Now that we dont have all those pieces we are converting back to his rookie year ways. which is to say a decent team but not a real contender.

lobohawk

Reaction score
mrt144":eciuutpl said:
Sgt. Largent":eciuutpl said:

We're paying a premium to him to stay in Seattle instead of going to fish for a new one. I'm pretty sure we're paying about 5-7 Million a year above his numbers and impact to simply have a consistent cog in the machine. This team is not as plug and play as we've been lead to believe and it's showing.

Other than a handful like, No-E, Baldwin, Ryan, Hauschka, pretty much everyone is playing 10-20% below pay. Specifically the big ticket players.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":1pu8jypd said:
Sgt. Largent":1pu8jypd said:
Aros":1pu8jypd said:

How's that working out?

Two SBs in a row.

justafan

Reaction score
The experience isnt really a factor if you consider how good Brees was in his 3rd and 4th year.He is one of the best in his time.
I doubt Russel will ever become the type of QB Brees is.The guy is fearless. Whether he has thrown 4 interceptions or 1,he has that shooter mentality and confidence he can make the next play.

You cant run a consistent offense without your QB having elite timing and the willingness to let er rip.Playing safe at QB means you are you are relying on D and a running game.

I love Wilson but you have to accept what he is in this offense.

Largent80

Reaction score
I find it amusing and funny that people are listing so many reasons of why things are going the way they are.

Blaming the D for not closing out games with a 40 to 20 minute discrepancy in top.

Blaming Russel for following orders. To me, this teams coaching on multiple levels has been lacking

We haven't changed anything on offense for YEARS now and the league has seen enough to even the field.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I can't help but think that since Wilson got paid the big bucks, the fan base expects him to be a different QB than he has been his previous years. His game, now more than ever, is under the microscope and for many perfection is expected.

I don't really know where I would place Russell in the ranks of current NFL QBs, but I feel comfortable in saying that he is better than most in the league. The QB often gets the blame for a struggling team, and though their poor performance warrants some degree of criticism, they often unfairly bear the responsibility of defeat.

I have seen a lot of QBs considered to be good, even elite throw interceptions and make poor decisions this year. That is kind of a thing in the NFL, it is hard to win. Even harder to be elite.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The only similarities between Brees and RW is their height. Other than that, they play nothing alike.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xhlk5msi said:
Was a stark contrast to what we've seen out of Russell this year.

I love Russell, and I don't think he's playing terrible this year. But the combo of him getting paid and us not seeing a noticeable progression in his rise to one of the top QB's in the league is disappointing thus far this season.

I know Brees is THE QB Russell models his game after, but last night Brees was confident and didn't hesitate to throw balls into double coverage and tight spaces................and doing it with less talent around him, and a worse defense.

My question is, will Russell get to this point in his career? Or is he going to stay this conservative somewhat tentative QB afraid to make the big mistake. IMO if he's ever going to get into that "Elite" top 2-3 in the league discussion, we're going to have to see a lot more of what we saw Brees do last night.

Breese also doesn't have Pete Carroll telling him to not take chances with those throws, for fear of turning the ball over.
Wilson is probably doing the "Protect The Ball" to a fault.
Another thing that, I Think, is being overlooked with Wilson this Season, and it ain't the money, it's not having Marshawn Lynch in there to HELP give the Defenses some pause with all their blitzes, and I think that with all the sacks he's taken, is proof of that.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3a7zetae said:
Sgt. Largent":3a7zetae said:
Was a stark contrast to what we've seen out of Russell this year.

I love Russell, and I don't think he's playing terrible this year. But the combo of him getting paid and us not seeing a noticeable progression in his rise to one of the top QB's in the league is disappointing thus far this season.

I know Brees is THE QB Russell models his game after, but last night Brees was confident and didn't hesitate to throw balls into double coverage and tight spaces................and doing it with less talent around him, and a worse defense.

My question is, will Russell get to this point in his career? Or is he going to stay this conservative somewhat tentative QB afraid to make the big mistake. IMO if he's ever going to get into that "Elite" top 2-3 in the league discussion, we're going to have to see a lot more of what we saw Brees do last night.

Breese also doesn't have Pete Carroll telling him to not take chances with those throws, for fear of turning the ball over.
Wilson is probably doing the "Protect The Ball" to a fault.
Another thing that, I Think, is being overlooked with Wilson this Season, and it ain't the money, it's not having Marshawn Lynch in there to HELP give the Defenses some pause with all their blitzes, and I think that with all the sacks he's taken, is proof of that.

We've heard this a lot.

Do we know for a fact that RW plays scared because he is worried about not following supposed orders? Or is this one of those things that have been repeated so many times on .net that we just assume that it's true.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MrThortan":3oq89ckw said:
I can't help but think that since Wilson got paid the big bucks, the fan base expects him to be a different QB than he has been his previous years. His game, now more than ever, is under the microscope and for many perfection is expected. .

Is that not fair?

Name me a QB making big money and I'll show you a fan base demanding and expecting more..........and Russell is no different.

Russell and his agent told the Hawks they think he's a top 5 QB, top 2 even if I remember right? and therefore he needs to be compensated as such. Well, now he should be proving it.............and on this team that means making explosive plays and delivering in the clutch.

I don't expect him to throw for 400 yards and 4 TD's because that's not how our offense works. But I do expect to see progress in his skill set and more importantly to deliver in the clutch. So far I haven't seen either. Still early in the year, but it's a true statement.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MrThortan":2tsldc0d said:
I can't help but think that since Wilson got paid the big bucks, the fan base expects him to be a different QB than he has been his previous years. His game, now more than ever, is under the microscope and for many perfection is expected.

I don't really know where I would place Russell in the ranks of current NFL QBs, but I feel comfortable in saying that he is better than most in the league. The QB often gets the blame for a struggling team, and though their poor performance warrants some degree of criticism, they often unfairly bear the responsibility of defeat.

I have seen a lot of QBs considered to be good, even elite throw interceptions and make poor decisions this year. That is kind of a thing in the NFL, it is hard to win. Even harder to be elite.

Why shouldn't his play reflect his pay?

When an organization commits that much money towards one player, that player has to be elite.

Otherwise your organization is in trouble.

That is the sole reason why so many here were so worried about the Wilson negotiations. They were concerned that he isnt, nor will he ever be Rodgers or Brees.