Was the Niners roughing the passer penalty the right call?

Was Niners roughing the passer penalty the right call?

• Yes

Votes: 62 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 50.8%

• Total voters

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
look@dafilm":2c92nir0 said:
Milehighhawk":2c92nir0 said:
look@dafilm":2c92nir0 said:
HawkWow":2c92nir0 said:
I can only say I didn't like the call. I have no idea what's legal or illegal anymore. Rules, and interpretations of the rules, seem to change week to week, team to team, these days.

True.

as for the game itself, poor play aside and even poorer coaching/playcalling aside, that was a garbage call that completely swung the game around.

Btw, if Brooks had "hit the neck of the QB" like that clueless ref described, Brooks would have killed Brees.

Borderline call but its ludicrous to say that it was "game altering". The odds of the putrid 9ers offense (who had negative yardage in the quarter I believe), doing anything but handing the ball back to NO after a quick 3 and out was extremely low.

lol, I'm not going to get into a pissing match here but I will say this. if you don't think a 4th turnover like that, when the opposing team is in field goal range and is knocking on the door to tie the game with only a few precious minutes left, getting overturned based a godawful call is "game altering" then please, enlighten me and tell me what is.
Uh huh and our team had a loss hung on us vs. the Colts that was likely due to shit officiating. Yet the Hawks sit here at 10-1. Last year, Mike Carey and his crew literally did everything imaginable to Seattle to get the Hawks a loss (subconsciously, just bad officiating or whatever) yet Russell Wilson refused to lose that game. I wonder how many Seahawks fans went to a Niners board and complained we got jobbed vs. the Colts? Not many I'd guess. I have no sympathy for your plight as we are the fans that suffered through the Vinny Testeverde helmet TD, Super Screwing XL*, and so forth. Your team is 6-4 and has serious problems. Deal with it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think it (likely) cost SF the game.

I'm not exactly depressed about it, but I hate a *bad call, even when it goes our way. I really do. And the older I get, the more I want fair play. If we have a bad call against us, I don't want their damn "make-up call". Just get your heads out and get it right next time. A-holes.

*still not sure it was a "bad call"...but definitely questionable, IMO.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I am amazed at how many people appear to be dumbfouned by the call seeing has how the refs have been calling anything close to head/neck and knees on QBs all year long. This isn't exactly an isolated incident.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":tgul7sd0 said:
I am amazed at how many people appear to be dumbfouned by the call seeing has how the refs have been calling anything close to head/neck and knees on QBs all year long. This isn't exactly an isolated incident.
And this is a very fair and legitimate point.

chris98251

Reaction score
You hit anywhere close to the head or knees you get a flag on a QB nowadays. At full speed I could see that looking like a clothsline or head shot.

The fact that there are stories already about how they can protect QB's better is a big indication of where the league and officials are going with things.

Now if they went back and looked at what they have done to offensive line rules and changes over the last decade they may figure out that their rules are what is getting QB's hurt, when you had more linient blocking techiniques defenses didn't get to the QB as easlily.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I thought the worst two calls were against the Saints. Brees was unpressured on one play and threw it out of bounds and they called him for intentional grounding. To me if no one is near you and you throw it away that is not intentional grounding. The announcers didn't say a thing about this but he had no one around him. The other bad call was the non intentional grounding on Kaepernick in the end zone when he was clearly not outside the pocket. That should have been a safety.

I just thought of one more. The obvious touching of the NO defender when he intercepted it that they somehow missed and he eventually fumbled it out of bounds through the endzone and gave SF the ball back at the 20. Huge break for SF.

253hawk

Reaction score
Not allowed to tackle a ball carrier around the head or neck area, and the ref threw the flag immediately.

Hands cannot be thrust forward above the frame to contact an opponent on the neck, face or head.

Note: The frame is defined as the part of the opponent’s body below the neck that is presented to the blocker.

At the very best one could argue that the call was borderline, but it's not like Brooks couldn't have hit Brees a little bit lower.

SF49r

Reaction score
What makes this call a little more fishy is that a flag was thrown right after the ref noticed that the ball was fumbled...

SF49r

Reaction score
Throwdown":3992dj7s said:
Did they get screwed? yes

Did I love it? hell yes

Well it's only a matter of time until you guys get screwed out of a call

chris98251

Reaction score
SF49r":p5xyic1x said:
Throwdown":p5xyic1x said:

Did I love it? hell yes

Umm like everyweek, last week Wilson gets helmet slapped like a bitch and no call, we get ticky tac PI calls every week becasue of whiney ass coaches like Harbaugh wanting to not have anyone touched. We deal with it every week.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SF49r":3o0qt08m said:
Throwdown":3o0qt08m said:

Did I love it? hell yes

Been happened, player, mulitiple times, we still win.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SF49r":3aztvetk said:
Throwdown":3aztvetk said:

Did I love it? hell yes

lol have u not been watching any Seahawks games? GTFOH with that seriously. We know all about shit calls

253hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, seriously. We averaged 13.7 yards per penalty today. Ridiculous.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I thought the new rules were pretty clearly that you can't hit neck-up or knees-down, you can't hit the QB if they're defenseless, you can't hit the QB more than 1/10th of a second after they release the ball, you can't hit them from their left side on a Monday, and if you're rushing the passer during a night game on a weeknight, instead of hitting the quarterback, you two-hand touch them and yell 'BOJANGLES!' to signify a sack.

Seemed like a penalty to me by those standards. :229031_shrug:

look@dafilm

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2fw2lkgw said:
look@dafilm":2fw2lkgw said:
lol, I'm not going to get into a pissing match here but I will say this. if you don't think a 4th turnover like that, when the opposing team is in field goal range and is knocking on the door to tie the game with only a few precious minutes left, getting overturned based a godawful call is "game altering" then please, enlighten me and tell me what is.

Yea, it was a game changer.

No, I do not believe Kaep could have put together a game winning drive. He's had several shots the last few weeks and keeps laying eggs. Dude cannot even get it into FG range. It was more likely for the 49ers to get a huge turnover and win it that way, take it to score themselves. The way the D was playing? Possibility.

49ers D bled themselves out that game, that was one of the best defensive efforts by any team I have seen all year. Has to feel pretty empty to play like that and lose.

The 49ers had the lead with 3 minutes to go when Brooks' sack/fumble went down. Not sure what you're going on and on about a "game-winning drive" for when we were only talking about what the significance of this call was. If this garbage call doesn't happen, the 49ers have the lead and the ball at their 40 yard line.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think it was a crap call, but very much like the garbage we have been getting.

These officials are killing me even though we are winning. I swear they are trying to manipulate games. Maybe not the outcome, but the final score.

How bout Greenway? No holding or PI on the 4th quarter pass?

I can't let go of the fine/penalty on Bennett for wrapping up on Ryan's legs from the ground. These guys are protecting their golden boys.

It is getting old. I wanted the Niners to lose, but that call sucked.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have said it before. . With every big play I am looking for laundry on the turf before I get excited anymore.

The refs are getting worse

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's borderline in slow-mo but looked like a clear cut personal foul in real time. SF lucked out on NO's muffed punt, a blown pick-6 and a non-safety call on Kaep. They should hardly have anything to complain about. They were given more than enough bounces to win this game.