Roughing the passer

pmedic920

Reaction score
Cool story. These guys are professional athletes that have been doing this stuff all their lives so stop acting like I'm saying they need to "pause" their pass rush to figure out where the ball is. They're not f***ing retards.

I guess telling the ref "I thought he still had the ball" should be an automatic get out of jail free card.
It was crystal clear that he thought he got a sack, he celebrated.

I’m of the opinion that if a ball carrier (QB included) fakes having the ball, he SHOULD BE subject to being tackled.

I hope this play causes a review by the rule committee.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RW faked hand offs a lot. He could hide the ball a lot. He also handed the ball off a lot and they faked running it out of the backfield.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Now who’s being obtuse? The rule needs to take into account if a qb is actively acting like he has the ball. If he tries to fake out the defense and is good at it that shouldn’t be a penalty.
So we now want the refs to subjectively decide whether a fake was so good that the QB should be open season 2 seconds after the ball is gone.

I'm 100% sure everybody would agree that this will work out just fine.

kidhawk

Reaction score
So we now want the refs to subjectively decide whether a fake was so good that the QB should be open season 2 seconds after the ball is gone.

No need to be subjective at all. If the qb continues a fake then he needs to protect himself. If he’s not faking having the ball then he is out of the play. It’s not difficult.

pmedic920

Reaction score

It’s not like a million other rules aren’t subjective in the NFL.

If we “trust” them enough to officiate those rules appropriately , why couldn’t we “trust” them to officiate this rule appropriately?

Regardless of our opinions here on this, it’s factual that in our court system the “intent to deceive” is a real thing and has bearing on outcomes.

I believe, and it appears that many others believe that the “intent to deceive” should be a factor in plays of this nature.

Again, I hope this play causes a review of the specific rule at play.

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It’s not like a million other rules aren’t subject in the NFL.

If we “trust” them enough to officiate those rules appropriately , why couldn’t we “trust” them to officiate this rule appropriately?

Regardless of our opinions here on this, it’s factual that in our court system the “intent to deceive” is a real thing and has bearing on outcomes.

I believe, and it appears that many others believe that the “intent to deceive” should be a factor in plays of this nature.

Again, I hope this play causes a review of the specific rule at play.
It won’t. There’s absolutely zero chance the league will change a rule that opens QBs up to more backside hits. Defenders are just going to have to be aware as much as they can be in split second situations and there’ll be occasional flags that were unavoidable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It won’t. There’s absolutely zero chance the league will change a rule that opens QBs up to more backside hits. Defenders are just going to have to be aware as much as they can be in split second situations and there’ll be occasional flags that were unavoidable.
Actually, I think it would do just the opposite of that. QBs would know that if they do this they better be ready to take a hit. If they know that, then they will play accordingly. Currently it’s a gray area that needs to be addressed.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
JFC!
All these "protect the QB" rules implemented over the last 15 years & some posters here think this shouldn't be a penalty because the grand total of 1 guy, Taylor, in the entire stadium thought Goff still had the ball.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree on both counts and properly written rules should account for both scenarios.

Geno was clearly not intentionally grounding the football, so let's not call intentional grounding.

If the opposing QB pretends to have the ball, then the defense should be able to act as if he has the ball.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
JFC!
All these "protect the QB" rules implemented over the last 15 years & some posters here think this shouldn't be a penalty because the grand total of 1 guy, Taylor, in the entire stadium thought Goff still had the ball.
Yeah, the guy closest to him in the entire stadium who was coming from Goffs backside. Unless Taylor has X-ray vision, no way he could tell if he had the ball or not.