Roughing the passer

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The roughing the passer penalty on Taylor or was it Hall? Anyway, the more I think about it, that should not be a penalty. Goff was clearly standing there attempting to look like he still had the ball. Makes the defense think a pass is still in play.
If a QB is running with the ball and slides, he gives himself up and is no longer eligible to be hit. Until then, he is clearly a part of the play and can be hit at anytime.
If Goff was implying by his play at that time that he still had the ball, then any sack on him should be legal.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
The intentional grounding was a much worse call.

They let players hit the QB on the read option. And I agree that if the QB is going to pretend they have the ball they’re fair game.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
so basically, if the QB does a good enough job at pretending he still has the ball, it's the D's fault for being fooled and they get penalized for it if they hit the passer.

My final 2 brain cells are fighting to the death.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I thought at the time, and still do that either the calls were wrong and were horrible or they were correct and need to be addressed by the rules committee
The roughing the passer penalty was justified.

The grounding call was total bogus because Geno was not being pressured. Pete will pursue that call with the NFL head referee to get an explanation... or an apology of sorts.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Based on the current rules, sure. But should roughing the passer be a penalty when the QB pretends to have the ball? If you are faking having the ball, you are inviting the defense to hit you. Hopefully the rules committee changes this rule.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Based on the current rules, sure. But should roughing the passer be a penalty when the QB pretends to have the ball? If you are faking having the ball, you are inviting the defense to hit you. Hopefully the rules committee changes this rule.

It's like goading someone to punch you in da face. Then they punch you in da face. Then everyone has a surprised Pikachu face afterwards.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The roughing the passer penalty was justified.

The grounding call was total bogus because Geno was not being pressured. Pete will pursue that call with the NFL head referee to get an explanation... or an apology of sorts.
Like I said I can see either one being called within the rules and without the exact rule in front of me I can’t be positive that they were bad calls but both shouldn’t be a penalty.

You obviously understand my POV in the grounding but with the late hit, I believe if the qb doesn’t want to get hit he shouldn’t try to stay in the play trying to fake out the defense. You should t be penalized because you played it straight up and thought he had the ball.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
So you expect guys rushing the passer to pause and look around for the ball before tackling the qb? No wonder we don’t get sacks
Cool story. These guys are professional athletes that have been doing this stuff all their lives so stop acting like I'm saying they need to "pause" their pass rush to figure out where the ball is. They're not f***ing retards.

I guess telling the ref "I thought he still had the ball" should be an automatic get out of jail free card.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Cool story. These guys are professional athletes that have been doing this stuff all their lives so stop acting like I'm saying they need to "pause" their pass rush to figure out where the ball is. They're not f***ing retards.

I guess telling the ref "I thought he still had the ball" should be an automatic get out of jail free card.
Now who’s being obtuse? The rule needs to take into account if a qb is actively acting like he has the ball. If he tries to fake out the defense and is good at it that shouldn’t be a penalty.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Except they do when it’s a zone read. They specifically call that out because guys can’t always be sure who has the ball. This is no different.
You may think that you're right... but that doesn't make you correct.