Trust The Process.

mrt144

Reaction score
Own The West":3dc5aw3f said:
Sgt. Largent":3dc5aw3f said:
Won't lie, I've lost quite a bit of trust goodwill for Pete and John the past two years with the combo of consecutive below average drafts and poor trades.

But this is the year they get to get my full confidence and trust back by showing us they still have an eye for defensive talent and to get the offensive run game back on track.

I wonder if the perception of PC/JS drafts' decline is a function of having so many established vets that we didn't see new starters coming out of the draft.

There was an ongoing issue of RBs and OL washing out here, but we've seen some of that departed talent be successful elsewhere. That would appear to be coach-related, rather than draft related.

Now that we're starting 7 new guys on defense and the RB/OL coach has changed will we look back in 3 years and go, "John and Pete sure nailed the 2017-2018 drafts!"?

Oh no doubt that being so top heavy and retaining the top created a chasm down below. Whether that was opportunity alone or something more is where the debate lies. I recently had a similar experience in an online game that I play which is a crude facsimile between football, rugby and Tolkieneqsque fantasy. I had a huge awesome roster that crumbled under its own weight when the studs started getting dinged up with nobody good to replace them because they hogged all the experience and skills.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jville":1w75g452 said:
pittpnthrs":1w75g452 said:
Jville":1w75g452 said:
pittpnthrs":1w75g452 said:
Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.

It is impossible to trust any process or opt in to any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold.

Or fear of disappointment could be replaced by common sense. When a player has sucked for years with more than 1 organization, chances are almost certain he is going to suck once again with another organization. Just because said player happens to be on my favorite team, doesnt make him good all of a sudden. Also, coaches talk their players up all the time. Its what they are supposed to do. Its amazing how many people get swayed and fooled by that type of hype.

So fear blocks trust in the words of coaches along with blocking trust in the the process.

Is it actually fear when one expects an outcome? I dont think so.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^
A statement that correlates to nothing that proceeded it is one way to bring an end to dialogue.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Jville":2m915xvj said:
^^^
A statement that correlates to nothing that proceeded it is one way to bring an end to dialogue.

You characterized pitt's assessment as stemming from fear, which implies an emotional reaction with some degree of irrationality, whereas pitt contends his evaluation arises from an objective, logical assessment of the team's strengths and weaknesses.

You reiterate that fear is the reason he doesn't trust the process and say that it can prevent him from enjoying the team even if it becomes good. He says he expects the outcome so he isn't afraid.

Follows logically enough for me. I don't see why the condescension is necessary.

Jville

Reaction score
adeltaY":6mtqu8ca said:
You characterized pitt's assessment as stemming from fear, which implies an emotional reaction with some degree of irrationality, whereas pitt contends his evaluation arises from an objective, logical assessment of the team's strengths and weaknesses.

You reiterate that fear is the reason he doesn't trust the process and say that it can prevent him from enjoying the team even if it becomes good. He says he expects the outcome so he isn't afraid.

Follows logically enough for me. I don't see why the condescension is necessary.

The fear I was referring to was the fear of disappointment. I'm inferring that not trusting the process or process practitioners is a defensive mechanism. A defensive mechanism for shielding one from disappointment by ignoring the process of player development should that player hit a developmental wall, not fit or disappoint.

What can be acknowledged is a stated preference for outcome to the exclusion of the process of player development. I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.

This may or may not clarify my original statement ........... which I will restate ....... "It is impossible to trust any process or opt into any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold."

........................... it is only an observation ........ an opinion.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jville":1x04lr7m said:
I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.

Here is the issue I'm having. How much more progress can Battle achieve when two other teams outright cut him? Here is a guy that couldn't get on the field for the Rams or Chiefs, but he's battling for playing time for us? That's a sure sign that our Oline is downright awful. Thompson I can understand since this is his 2nd year, but don't blow smoke up my rear about how awesome he is when he couldn't even dent the lineup last season. I'm sure he's better than last season, but I would be shocked if he's anything more than just serviceable.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Jville":1lma17d0 said:
adeltaY":1lma17d0 said:

The fear I was referring to was the fear of disappointment. I'm inferring that not trusting the process or process practitioners is a defensive mechanism. A defensive mechanism for shielding one from disappointment by ignoring the process of player development should that player hit a developmental wall, not fit or disappoint.

What can be acknowledged is a stated preference for outcome to the exclusion of the process of player development. I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.

This may or may not clarify my original statement ........... which I will restate ....... "It is impossible to trust any process or opt into any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold."

........................... it is only an observation ........ an opinion.

Gotcha, I just think it's difficult to tell if someone holds an opinion out of fear as a defense mechanism or if he/she believes something based their interpretation of evidence and observation with little emotional influence.

I do agree what he said about Battle and Thompson came across harshly, but his reply above clarifies his opinion pretty well.

Jville

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3e41ifvb said:
Jville":3e41ifvb said:
I thought the outright dismissal of Isaiah Battle and Tedric Thomspon implied an aversion to following and acknowledging the progress of player development.

Here is the issue I'm having. How much more progress can Battle achieve when two other teams outright cut him? Thompson I can understand since this is his 2nd year, but don't blow smoke up my rear about how awesome he is when he couldn't even dent the lineup last season. I'm sure he's better than last season, but I would be shocked if he's anything more than just serviceable.

I understand your sentiment. But, we can still appreciate and enjoy Battle's on going development regardless of come what may. In the off season he bulked up from 290lbs to 310lbs since joining the Seahawks. As I understand it, his functional upper body strength was an ongoing question. We may get a better idea, tonight, of how strong he is now. He has a new coach and modified blocking scheme. I'm curious as to how his continuing story now fits and performs.

I'll just assume you missed the many testimonials from multiple players and coaches regarding Thompson. Thompson is still in the early stages of his development process. So many of us are looking forward to seeing him tonight.

I like good outcomes along with everyone else. But, its the process ....... the journey where the joy of an unfolding season resides. Getting better one day at a time.

Go Hawks!