Trust The Process.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":e3wd0apq said:
Sgt. Largent":e3wd0apq said:
SoulfishHawk":e3wd0apq said:
How many teams lost THAT MANY pro bowl level players and still were a real FG kicker away from winning 11, w/one of the worst O Lines we have ever seen? None
You can't lose Sherm, Avril, Kam etc. all in the same season and expect them to be on top of their game.
It's certainly not why they only won 9. But it flat out was a factor. One of many factors in a really strange season.

But that's my point, these guys weren't playing at a Pro Bowl level when they got hurt in the first place.

Proof? Because all the PFF metrics I saw out there says they were. If you're gonna fall back on stats, Bennett had eight sacks in 2017, a career high.

Lose that many Pro Bowl players and your defense is going to suffer. It's too bad that your cliched "no excuses" act doesn't have room for that.

Also, we suffered no significant injuries in 2013-2014.

Yes, PFF had Kam as a top graded safety and Sherman was giving up super low yards per coverage snap, as was normal for him. I saw no dropoff from Kam in the run game.Looking at raw tackle numbers and assists doesn't tell the full story.

Sam agrees: [youtube]8SltNCS4Jg0[/youtube]

As for interceptions, Richard Sherman had two in 2017 before he got hurt and two total in 2015, when he was a second team All-pro and a Pro bowler.

chris98251

Reaction score
Injuries happen for a couple reasons, but ours I think were due to wear and tear and ageing, as you age your get more rigid and less flexible unless you really work at it like that freak of nature Ichiro, add all the extra playoff games and amount of time the defense was on the field versus the offense it was going to happen. We held our hand a bit longer then we should have, yeah there was a bit of nostalgia and comfort with those guys, but the flags were there. Even if one player isn't hurt but those around him brought in at the same time start having issues that's an alarm clock going off, keep hitting the snooze and you get our situation.

mrt144

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3ip6kl44 said:
"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.

Good: same management that dominated the NFC and won a Super Bowl. Bad: same management that made poor trades, bad draft picks, imprudent resignings, and LOST a Super Bowl.

I love Pete Carroll but am not sold on Schneider as a talent evaluator. He's massively regressed to the mean and this year will prove whether the last two drafts were worth a damn. Ultimately the deterioration of a formerly dynastic roster is due to a number of factors, some of which were bad luck, but the talent atrophy is primarily due to JS. Schneider has been getting the Cable/Bevell treatment from PC: loyalty despite sub-par results. Always compete.

If trusting the process means a three year rebuild then I emphatically do not trust the process.

Any process worth trusting has time constrained benchmarks and action plans for missed benchmarks and some leeway for unexpected variables.

Sadly we arent privy to anything like this from the team and nobody in a coach or FO position likes being held accountable (only a little more so than your average hump does) because the only tool available seems to be firing. It is madness how coach labor is simultaneously sink or swim but once youve been around long enough youll always have a job somewhere, no matter how bad youve performed.

And fwiw trusting a nebulous process when the outcomes are the only tangible thing we see seems like a hard sale for me. You dont get to black box how you do things and then disregard repeated failures as outliers of expected outcomes. Unless you run a hedge fund I guess?

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":17y0zibk said:
chris98251":17y0zibk said:
Aros":17y0zibk said:
Thunderhawk":17y0zibk said:
"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.

Meh. Let's just say we differ on our cynicism level. I get it's not all rosey and rainbows but I for one have zero doubt these two can lead us to the promised land one more time.

Will it happen? Who knows? But I would like to side on positivity versus the alternative.

I would trust someone who built a Champion from nothing to do it again versus a GM and Coach who took someone's elses talent at the right time for it to season to win one.

They know the formula, they know the work and effort needed, they also now know that after you get there what will come from it and the work needed to shorten the turn around time to get back there.

The frustration and cynicism may come from there willingness to abandon the formula at the wrong time. But, it's also hard to blame them. they had a once in a generation group of players and tried to hang on to them as long as they could. It almost got to another Super Bowl. And then... it started to wobble, then crash.

Here we are, after the crash, which is pretty much where Pete and JS came on to begin with.

Im more excited about the team going into this year then the prospects of having Sherman, Bennett, Jimmy back again. That wasn't working anymore. At least this is an unknown.

It will be exciting no doubt. I really cant wait to see how our offense does and to what extent things change.

Its like picking up the next book in a series you enjoy with fresh faces but some favorite antagonists and protagonists still kicking around. I was borderline bored with the story of last season halfway in but its hard to pass on a chance of athletic magic.

Jville

Reaction score
Pre-Season is the right time to push for discovery of the limits of what a player can and can not do.

“(Second-year safety Tedric Thompson) has just made more plays and he has been really aggressive in the throwing game and in the running game. He’ll find what he can do and what he can’t do, and I’m asking him now to go for it – at all times. Go for every read, every look you have. Find out really where are the boundaries here for what you can go for. He’s really instinctive and he’s acting on that. We’re trying to free him up and not be inhibited and not be kind of cautious and careful. … Pete Carroll

I totally Trust the pre-season portion of The Process

Go Hawks!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":28w0gfta said:

Exactly. The Philadelphia 76ers have been using that phrase for years now. Lord, I hope the Seahawks dont adopt that lame, tired mantra.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19ysbca5 said:
Or they should get a pass because we lost Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas) but things will be better this year even though we no longer have Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas)?

Was going to say the same thing. A lot of people saying last years problems were caused by injuries to those players, are the same people claiming we are going to surprise and fight for a playoff spot although we no longer have those same players going into this season. Interesting.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I think the Bills have pushed for "Trust the Process" as their rebuild slogan. I know every team uses it, but I've seen it most strongly associated with them recently.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2hjs8hgc said:

Good: same management that dominated the NFC and won a Super Bowl. Bad: same management that made poor trades, bad draft picks, imprudent resignings, and LOST a Super Bowl.

I love Pete Carroll but am not sold on Schneider as a talent evaluator. He's massively regressed to the mean and this year will prove whether the last two drafts were worth a damn. Ultimately the deterioration of a formerly dynastic roster is due to a number of factors, some of which were bad luck, but the talent atrophy is primarily due to JS. Schneider has been getting the Cable/Bevell treatment from PC: loyalty despite sub-par results. Always compete.

If trusting the process means a three year rebuild then I emphatically do not trust the process.
Yeah the title of this thread gives me the willies. I hear that all of the time at my job, where mismanagement and micromanagement are the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure), If I had $20 everytime I heard “Trust the process” or” synergy” at work I could retire.

Hanging on to failing offensive coaches for WAY too long has givin me pause in the recent past to not trust the process...... but since they have since remedied that problem and I REALLY LIKE this draft class I’m cautiously optimistic for this season. Plus we have a franchise QB that will be better just by making those coaching changes alone.

I think there will be bumps along the road, but I think if this team is relatively healthy they will can be stealthy good.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1t5e6xsa said:
TwistedHusky":1t5e6xsa said:
Or they should get a pass because we lost Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas) but things will be better this year even though we no longer have Avril, Kam and Sherman (and Thomas)?

Was going to say the same thing. A lot of people saying last years problems were caused by injuries to those players, are the same people claiming we are going to surprise and fight for a playoff spot although we no longer have those same players going into this season. Interesting.

We lost some defensive talent but improved the running game and offensive line. Call that a wash. Then remember we got 9 wins last year with a terrible kicker.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1z5yy4wt said:
Thunderhawk":1z5yy4wt said:

Exactly. The Philadelphia 76ers have been using that phrase for years now. Lord, I hope the Seahawks dont adopt that lame, tired mantra.

I hope they don't use the same mantra either but Phila is a solid team sooooo, there is that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":13hxdzfq said:
pittpnthrs":13hxdzfq said:
Thunderhawk":13hxdzfq said:

I hope they don't use the same mantra either but Phila is a solid team sooooo, there is that.

Yeah, after they tanked for 5 straight years. They were so bad the league had to step in. Is that what we really want?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":5gtpwnmo said:
pittpnthrs":5gtpwnmo said:
TwistedHusky":5gtpwnmo said:

We lost some defensive talent but improved the running game and offensive line. Call that a wash.

That remains to be seen.

Then remember we got 9 wins last year with a terrible kicker.

And again, we dont know if the kicking spot is actually improved. Not a lot of confidence going in with a 40 year old kicker that couldnt even play last season.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6sz9j7d8 said:
We get it man, you think that they are going to be a 3 win team :lol:

Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.

Own The West

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3expdfuu said:
Won't lie, I've lost quite a bit of trust goodwill for Pete and John the past two years with the combo of consecutive below average drafts and poor trades.

But this is the year they get to get my full confidence and trust back by showing us they still have an eye for defensive talent and to get the offensive run game back on track.

I wonder if the perception of PC/JS drafts' decline is a function of having so many established vets that we didn't see new starters coming out of the draft.

There was an ongoing issue of RBs and OL washing out here, but we've seen some of that departed talent be successful elsewhere. That would appear to be coach-related, rather than draft related.

Now that we're starting 7 new guys on defense and the RB/OL coach has changed will we look back in 3 years and go, "John and Pete sure nailed the 2017-2018 drafts!"?

Jville

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":jkbsticc said:
SoulfishHawk":jkbsticc said:

Not at all and i've never said that. I think they'll be around a .500 club with a game or two either way give or take. What i'm not doing is falling into the fan mode area in which i'm taking for granted that certain areas of the team automatically is going to be better. I'm sorry, but when a player like Isaiah Battle is fighting for a starting spot on the Oline, then the Oline sucks. Seattle is his 3rd team and he has done nothing to prove that he can play at this level. Tedric Thomspon couldnt even sniff the field last season and now its all cheers and he's something special on the defensive side. Sorry, i'm just not buying it.

It is impossible to trust any process or opt in to any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jville":37f2sk3r said:
pittpnthrs":37f2sk3r said:
SoulfishHawk":37f2sk3r said:

It is impossible to trust any process or opt in to any process when hobbled by fear of disappointment. It may even be impossible to recognize and enjoy developing processes as they unfold.

Or fear of disappointment could be replaced by common sense. When a player has sucked for years with more than 1 organization, chances are almost certain he is going to suck once again with another organization. Just because said player happens to be on my favorite team, doesnt make him good all of a sudden. Also, coaches talk their players up all the time. Its what they are supposed to do. Its amazing how many people get swayed and fooled by that type of hype.

Jville

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1c3hhqrb said:
Jville":1c3hhqrb said:
pittpnthrs":1c3hhqrb said:
SoulfishHawk":1c3hhqrb said:

Or fear of disappointment could be replaced by common sense. When a player has sucked for years with more than 1 organization, chances are almost certain he is going to suck once again with another organization. Just because said player happens to be on my favorite team, doesnt make him good all of a sudden. Also, coaches talk their players up all the time. Its what they are supposed to do. Its amazing how many people get swayed and fooled by that type of hype.

So fear blocks trust in the words of coaches along with blocking trust in the the process.