Trust The Process.

chris98251

Reaction score
I expect a ass kicking somewhere early that flips the switch back to attitude and Nasty and our identity being formed, nothing motivates better then pissed off. Especially if you have the talent that can rise, I think we do and it will need to be woke up via shock treatment.

lukerguy

Reaction score
If you don't love me at my:
Pete carroll

You don't deserve me at my :
20140203_mje_se2_051.0.jpg

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Hope for the best prepare for the worst. They have the potential to make the playoffs if the o-line and Carson/Penny play well. If not well it could be a long season given the talent in the division now.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I believe we are going to find some new gems and some guys who need more time
I hope the pre season can sniff them all out
Those that are gems will make the 53 and those that need more time are headed for the PS and some will get snatched as we will snatch others from other teams
This is the year that the GM can distance himself by finding and putting those gems on the 53
I think I have higher expectations than most , the only thing I worry about is pass rush.
that's where I pray we find some gems

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I could not be more excited about the DBs that have recently been brought in here. Griffin did what he was supposed to, had a solid good rookie year. Word out that Tre Flowers is a beast and maybe a second coming of BB (the good stuff). Tedric Thompson is looking pretty solid and if Delano Hill can transfer his college highlights to the pros,,,,,, ladies and gentlemen we could have our second coming of the LOB. Maybe they get a different name but man am I excited to see this group mature.

On our run game, I just don't see how we can get any worse so any progress should be fun. RBs look strong and theoretically this O-Line should be better or equal to our 2012-2013 line. No injuries to any of RBs would be seriously encouraging.

Let's go, I'm ready to punch an NFC West bitch in the face!

truehawksfan

Reaction score
John Schneider says Seahawks still have plenty of young talent: ‘Trust the process

It’s a constant reset every single year, it doesn’t stop,” Schneider said. “When I say ‘reset’ people are like, ‘Well it’s a rebuild.’ We’re not rebuilding; it’s just a reset...I’m telling you man, there’s a lot of good young football players that people don’t know about. Tedric Thompson was one of our best special teams players this last year. He didn’t get to play much at strong safety. Kam [Chancellor] was one of our best special teams players the first year he played. He didn’t get to play strong safety because Lawyer [Milloy] was here. Trust the process, man.
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/432025/jo ... e-process/

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.

Good: same management that dominated the NFC and won a Super Bowl. Bad: same management that made poor trades, bad draft picks, imprudent resignings, and LOST a Super Bowl.

I love Pete Carroll but am not sold on Schneider as a talent evaluator. He's massively regressed to the mean and this year will prove whether the last two drafts were worth a damn. Ultimately the deterioration of a formerly dynastic roster is due to a number of factors, some of which were bad luck, but the talent atrophy is primarily due to JS. Schneider has been getting the Cable/Bevell treatment from PC: loyalty despite sub-par results. Always compete.

If trusting the process means a three year rebuild then I emphatically do not trust the process.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thunderhawk":myql1z9k said:
"Trust the process" is a cliche adapted by usually failing enterprises in an attempt to buy more time. It actually means: "Look, we get that we have mismanaged things for awhile but you can totally trust us not to mismanage things this time." Except that it's the same folks in charge, which is both good and bad.

Meh. Let's just say we differ on our cynicism level. I get it's not all rosey and rainbows but I for one have zero doubt these two can lead us to the promised land one more time.

Will it happen? Who knows? But I would like to side on positivity versus the alternative.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":1zxcbtji said:
Thunderhawk":1zxcbtji said:

Meh. Let's just say we differ on our cynicism level. I get it's not all rosey and rainbows but I for one have zero doubt these two can lead us to the promised land one more time.

Will it happen? Who knows? But I would like to side on positivity versus the alternative.

I would trust someone who built a Champion from nothing to do it again versus a GM and Coach who took someone's elses talent at the right time for it to season to win one.

They know the formula, they know the work and effort needed, they also now know that after you get there what will come from it and the work needed to shorten the turn around time to get back there.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":cj0x4q6k said:

Good: same management that dominated the NFC and won a Super Bowl. Bad: same management that made poor trades, bad draft picks, imprudent resignings, and LOST a Super Bowl.

I love Pete Carroll but am not sold on Schneider as a talent evaluator. He's massively regressed to the mean and this year will prove whether the last two drafts were worth a damn. Ultimately the deterioration of a formerly dynastic roster is due to a number of factors, some of which were bad luck, but the talent atrophy is primarily due to JS. Schneider has been getting the Cable/Bevell treatment from PC: loyalty despite sub-par results. Always compete.

If trusting the process means a three year rebuild then I emphatically do not trust the process.
Pete Carroll has final say in all player acquisition. This isn't a Tim Ruskell and Holmgren situation. Pete Carroll is both the president, and head coach of the Seahawks. This isn't just a John Schneider issue, it is a Pete Carroll issue.

I don't think Pete is going to do much more in his career. Maybe a wildcard, but no more SuperBowls. I don't think he is capable of making lighting strike twice. The same process that gave us the 2013 team dismantled a team that should have been a dynasty through poor drafts, poor player management and last but not least nepotism, loyalty to guys who aren't doing their jobs.

The handling on the offensive side of the ball has been appallingly bad, specifically with lineman and schematically. We are ruining our Quarterbacks development through Pete's offensive "vision" which is quite clearly an offense stuck in the 1970s, and early 1980s and essentially handicapping our Quarterback.

I love Carroll for what he has done, but I think he has lost his touch. I think all that is left underneath Carroll is crippling mediocrity and flirting with wildcard spots.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
chris98251":310otzja said:
I expect a ass kicking somewhere early that flips the switch back to attitude and Nasty and our identity being formed, nothing motivates better then pissed off. Especially if you have the talent that can rise, I think we do and it will need to be woke up via shock treatment.

I think they are plenty pissed off, with the national media and MANY of their own fans giving them little to no chance of succeeding. I love the underdog role, suits this team's mentality.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":6f2ifunv said:
Aros":6f2ifunv said:
Thunderhawk":6f2ifunv said:

I would trust someone who built a Champion from nothing to do it again versus a GM and Coach who took someone's elses talent at the right time for it to season to win one.

They know the formula, they know the work and effort needed, they also now know that after you get there what will come from it and the work needed to shorten the turn around time to get back there.

The frustration and cynicism may come from there willingness to abandon the formula at the wrong time. But, it's also hard to blame them. they had a once in a generation group of players and tried to hang on to them as long as they could. It almost got to another Super Bowl. And then... it started to wobble, then crash.

Here we are, after the crash, which is pretty much where Pete and JS came on to begin with.

Im more excited about the team going into this year then the prospects of having Sherman, Bennett, Jimmy back again. That wasn't working anymore. At least this is an unknown.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3s9xpnrm said:
chris98251":3s9xpnrm said:
Aros":3s9xpnrm said:
Thunderhawk":3s9xpnrm said:

The frustration and cynicism may come from there willingness to abandon the formula at the wrong time. But, it's also hard to blame them. they had a once in a generation group of players and tried to hang on to them as long as they could. It almost got to another Super Bowl. And then... it started to wobble, then crash.

Here we are, after the crash, which is pretty much where Pete and JS came on to begin with.

Im more excited about the team going into this year then the prospects of having Sherman, Bennett, Jimmy back again. That wasn't working anymore. At least this is an unknown.
I wouldn't describe 9-7 as a crash, especially with considering we had no running or kicking game in 2017. But if our roster talent traded on the NYSE then, yes, it crashed like Facebook did last week.

@Aros - not really cynical. In fact I have a sneaky suspicion we're going to surprise the league. Give Carroll a strong running game and he usually wins big.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I'm not terribly concerned about the defensive side of the ball given the coaching resume of getting the most out of players. Even with this exodus of known talent, there is still a strong core of guys there with Bobby taking over and new guys who aren't intimidated by the veterans. I'd be very shocked if they fall outside of top 15 this year and still think a top 10 defense is possible.

On the flip side, they're making a clear effort to get back to pounding the ball. Carson looks real good, Penny looks good, Prosise has the tools if he can stay healthy to be a 3rd down back. Get Russell a solid run game that opens up his 15+ yard play action options and this team will stay competitive. Even without it he's proven he can shoulder the offense while they'd sputter for 3 quarters. I'm quite excited to watch this new core take shape and plan to actually watch preseason games for the first time in forever.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on what your definition of 'being good' is though.

We were almost an 11 win team but we played like a 7 win team and ultimately we were a 9 win team.

However, for several years we have regularly been destroyed in the playoffs after putting a pretty good to very good regular season record each year. There was a team in the NBA that used to reel off lots of regular season wins and then flame out every year - they were the Atlanta Hawks. Not sure that is what we want.

I would rather lose a few extra games in the regular season and go farther in the playoffs.*
(I do not count wildcard games as playoff accomplishments but maybe you do. It admittedly is better to win them than lose them.)

Worse, the games have gotten near unwatchable. Terrible football sandwiched between bouts of defenders half-killing themselves to keep us in games.

Now we have an offense, we have an opportunity to watch this team for 4 full quarters.

Ultimately football is entertainment, the games have steadily been losing that factor (but for the 4th quarters) for a while now. Maybe that problem is fixed now. That is a win, even when we lose a few extra. I certainly have more confidence this team will do better in the playoffs if it makes them.

We will see once the games start but I think this will be a much better year for Seahawk football fans than it was last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1g7k752w said:

Talent comes first, then you can be nasty.

If not, you're just the punk ass Rams of the 2000's who are a bunch of fake tough guys cheap shotting and playing dirty...............which unfortunately we saw a little of this the past couple of years out of our own players like Bennett at times worried more about the nonsense then winning.

I don't believe in "flipping switches." Football is a foundation sport, you build the proper foundation with a bunch of talented players who LOVE the game more than the money, fame or success. THAT'S where the nasty comes in, bunch of dogs who love to bully, intimidate and break the will of their opponents.

But talent always comes first.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2zf0rpki said:
@Aros - not really cynical. In fact I have a sneaky suspicion we're going to surprise the league. Give Carroll a strong running game and he usually wins big.

Noted. I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification. :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3kitjf46 said:
Uncle Si":3kitjf46 said:
chris98251":3kitjf46 said:
Aros":3kitjf46 said:

I wouldn't describe 9-7 as a crash, especially with considering we had no running or kicking game in 2017. But if our roster talent traded on the NYSE then, yes, it crashed like Facebook did last week.

It felt like a crash for the reasons you suggest. Sure, it was 9-7, but two blow outs, internal issues made public, all of the inefficiencies you noted.

9-7, in retrospect, was a huge testament to the strength of the players remaining. And now they have rid themselves of distractions and are starting new. So, maybe not the same level of team as when they started (much stronger) but it seems a renewed commitment to an older philosophy.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The only question I have which bears asking, did the system make the player or did the player make the system?

Pete Carroll's specialty is secondary.. Which position group achieved more than they were expected to on a whole? The secondary. Sherm, Kam, Browner, Maxwell, Thurmond..

Almost any DB who has played within the system in Seattle, has done better than anyone would have thought, and better than they'd played elsewhere.

The Seahawks/PC took a CFL cb and turned him into a fierce CB who was above average. They got rid of him, and he was out of the league shortly after. Maxwell was pretty good for the Hawks, signed a contract and was traded/released afterward. How could would Sherman/Kam been if they were drafted elsewhere? It's impossible to know but my guess is that they wouldn't be known as they are now.

Pete likes certain characteristics and then employs his philosophy through pointed teaching. I've heard he's been really taking Flowers under his wing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a surprise star.

I don't agree with PC in relationship to how he handled the offense and especially the offensive line, but I think this season will show the secondary as a continued strength, even with new personnel.

You could say, "well what about when Kam and Earl got hurt?" Sure, they team suffered, but they also were counting on those players and didn't have an entire offseason to prepare for those positions like they will this season.

The secondary will be fine; the defense should be fine assuming we can get a pass rush.

Will solari make that much of a difference? I hope so. I think so. If he does, you will have the same contending Seahawks you've had the last 5 years. This isn't a rebuild.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Is anybody, ever, ANYONE on this board ever going to admit that injuries have played a huge role in 2015-2017's slump?

Or do we just not want to admit that because we know it's outside of anyone's control and that knowledge doesn't feel good?

Sheesh.