TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

Chevy

Reaction score
Agree that Jones is absolutely not living up to even close what he is getting paid. With that said, Williams is a good player but not a difference maker and not worth a second and fifth rounder which equates to typically a middle second rounder based on if the Hawks finish picking 20th. Anyone that thought we were one player away had the blinders on all the way.
I'm not sure what is worse...Signing Jones to a massive contract and him playing like a practice squad backup player or trading a 2nd round pick on a really good DT that probably won't re-sign with the Seahawks after this year.

Chevy

Reaction score
It's a Jekyll s Hyde thing. They have two amazing drafts, but dole out a silly portion of the cap to safeties. (Though, it's fair to wonder about not taking Levis at 20.) And the Williams trade really smells like a Sheldon Richardson trade all over again. I don't think the team is quite there yet to justify the expense. They had a few wins against very bad and injured teams. The Lions win was a great win. But Geno hasn't been great since Frankfurt against Tampa last year. To their credit, his contract has easy outs, but still.

I want to be building a real contender, not treading water as a weak playoff team. It feels like they've been doing the latter for nearly a decade.
I agree the Seahawks have spent their money on easily replaceable safeties and signed a bad contract to DT Jones. If they could cut both starting safeties, and Dre'Mont Jones, and Geno Smith then I believe the Seahawks could start a mobile rookie QB and use ALLLLLL that new money on positions of impact.

warden

Reaction score
giving up 300 yards on the ground today is exactly why the Seahawks felt it was necessary to go get Williams. They realized that they have issues in that department.

seabowl

Reaction score
giving up 300 yards on the ground today is exactly why the Seahawks felt it was necessary to go get Williams. They realized that they have issues in that department.
So they got him and they still got torched. I think many of us realized they were going to have problems stopping the run before the season even started with the players they had on their roster. Virtually no big guys in the middle other than the rookie defensive tackle they picked in mid round. How did fans who don’t do this for a living realize this but the management of the team did not?

Chevy

Reaction score
So they got him and they still got torched. I think many of us realized they were going to have problems stopping the run before the season even started with the players they had on their roster. Virtually no big guys in the middle other than the rookie defensive tackle they picked in mid round. How did fans who don’t do this for a living realize this but the management of the team did not?
I think the main problem of us defending the run is that we have 5 DBs and only 2 defensive lineman most of the time. Our 3-4 defense is really a 2-4-5 DB defense, so yeah opposing teams can run on us all day when we have 5 DBs and bad run stopping OLBs like Darrell Taylor.

far north

Reaction score
Warching that game I was wondering Bryan Mones status most of the time.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I liked the trade when it happened but I didn't realize where we were at overall. Based on yesterday this could end up as a wasted 2nd round pick right when you started drafting very well again the past couple of years.

GemCity

Reaction score
I liked the trade when it happened but I didn't realize where we were at overall. Based on yesterday this could end up as a wasted 2nd round pick right when you started drafting very well again the past couple of years.
The 2nd Round pick may have been too steep.

Even if he resigns, it may have been a bad move.

It’s unfair to judge after one game so, I won’t use any stronger language than “…may have…” but….

knownone

Reaction score
Wow what a ******* waste of a trade. Sheldon Richardson all ******* over again.
That's a slightly misleading title. Schefter reported that Seattle likely won't extend Williams before the end of the season. Given the cap situation, it makes sense to hold off on an extension until they know precisely what incentives are paid to other players and their roster needs. For example, it's more straightforward to make a deal after the season, knowing Geno doesn't hit many of his incentives.

As for Williams, he was one of the few bright spots on our defense. He came in, played a significant number of snaps, and was arguably our best lineman.

renofox

Reaction score
So you're saying if we're lucky we can sign him to a $17M/yr deal and have another Dre'Mont Jones up front?

Will that really make the Seahawks better after wiping out all of the cap after cutting Geno, Adams, Diggs, and/or Lockett (seeing as we only have 40 players and $6M of cap next year so some of those players have to be cut just to field 53 players).

Just chalk it up to the rental it is. Maybe PC is right and he's the difference that will make the Seahawks go on a tear. Maybe PC is delusional. I don't know.

knownone

Reaction score
So you're saying if we're lucky we can sign him to a $17M/yr deal and have another Dre'Mont Jones up front?

Will that really make the Seahawks better after wiping out all of the cap after cutting Geno, Adams, Diggs, and/or Lockett (seeing as we only have 40 players and $6M of cap next year so some of those players have to be cut just to field 53 players).

Just chalk it up to the rental it is. Maybe PC is right and he's the difference that will make the Seahawks go on a tear. Maybe PC is delusional. I don't know.
He's older than Dre'Mont, so he'll likely command less, maybe 13-15M/yr.

And I wouldn't overanalyze the cap situation this early—future years provide too much flexibility to make reasonable projections. They could bring almost everyone back next season and extend Williams if they were willing to sacrifice some future cap flexibility.

renofox

Reaction score
He's older than Dre'Mont, so he'll likely command less, maybe 13-15M/yr.

And I wouldn't overanalyze the cap situation this early—future years provide too much flexibility to make reasonable projections. They could bring almost everyone back next season and extend Williams if they were willing to sacrifice some future cap flexibility.
You're right in many ways.

But good generalities can be observed towards next year's cap situation even this early. Last year at this time it appeared that we had plenty of cap for this year - $60M plus if I remember correctly. Most were excited that we'd be able to afford multiple top-tier free agents.

But any analysis showed it was a mirage. We ended up with a $17M/yr IDL who was overpaid and is not performing at a high level (which is what many expected would happen). In addition, we filled holes with a bunch of $1-5M guys.

And then the cap was gone. We had to move what salary we could to the future just to get enough cap for rookie and mid-season emergency signings.

The cap situation is even worse for 2024. Yes, there is money to be moved to 2025 and beyond but, most likely,,not enough to make even 1 top-tier free agent signing. Unless we cut all 4 of the players mentioned earlier.

tldr; I don't think Williams will be re-signed. 2 draft picks for a 10 game rental was not a wise move, imo.

OP
OP
MyrtleHawk

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
That's a slightly misleading title. Schefter reported that Seattle likely won't extend Williams before the end of the season. Given the cap situation, it makes sense to hold off on an extension until they know precisely what incentives are paid to other players and their roster needs. For example, it's more straightforward to make a deal after the season, knowing Geno doesn't hit many of his incentives.

As for Williams, he was one of the few bright spots on our defense. He came in, played a significant number of snaps, and was arguably our best lineman.
I may have over-reacted, I'm still so incredibly disappointed at how the Hawks shit the bed on Sunday. Seeing that tweet was equivalent to your belt loop on your pants catching on a doorknob handle when you're already upset and in a rush.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score

Stop bringing up facts and/or something positive. The almighty Schefter said something, so it must be true. He played well. But everything sucks, after one game.

gabel

Reaction score
Ask Denver?

I say ask Seattle, the answer is…..

That trade worked very well.

This trade?
Jury still out but I suspect crows will be on the endangered list by the end of the season.
Let's revisit this at the end of the season.

Latest posts