TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

Rat

Reaction score
Bears just got Montrez "Guy We Should Have Taken Instead of LJ Collier" Sweat for a second. That second will likely be a lot earlier than ours, so it's not apples and oranges with this trade, but I would have been happy to have gotten in on those discussions.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Bears just got Montrez "Guy We Should Have Taken Instead of LJ Collier" Sweat for a second. That second will likely be a lot earlier than ours, so it's not apples and oranges with this trade, but I would have been happy to have gotten in on those discussions.
Glass always half-empty is a depressing way to live.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
In general when I see complaining about not getting out of the first round and needing to improve and then criticizing a bold move reminds me of the rant / speech by Nicholson in a Few Good Men about wanting him to defend the wall and then questioning the way he does it :).

"You want me in that GM chair. You need me in that GM chair"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet again, ASSUMPTIONS that the Hawks were not in on talks about Sweat. NONE OF US know who JS talks to behind closed doors. NONE of us.
Just because they didn't get Sweat, doesn't mean they didn't try.

Rat

Reaction score
Yet again, ASSUMPTIONS that the Hawks were not in on talks about Sweat. NONE OF US know who JS talks to behind closed doors. NONE of us.
Just because they didn't get Sweat, doesn't mean they didn't try.
Who made that assumption?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on man, you just said you would have been happy to be in on those discussions. Maybe they did discuss a trade for Sweat?
He's a good player, and so is Williams.

Rat

Reaction score
Come on man, you just said you would have been happy to be in on those discussions. Maybe they did discuss a trade for Sweat?
He's a good player, and so is Williams.
Yes, I would have been happy to have landed Sweat; he's an excellent player at a premier position. Whether I would have preferred him to Williams depends on what it would have taken.

Rat

Reaction score
Where did I say you ripped the trade? However, the fact that you point that out kinda uncovers your position.
You said I was taking a glass half-empty view. I was just pointing out what another team gave up to get a defensive lineman. I don't know what I'd prefer because I don't know what we would have had to give up, but I do like Sweat a lot. I like Williams too.

warden

Reaction score
We run a three four. Our three will be Williams, Reed and Jones. You have to like that

bileever

Reaction score
Although I'm on record as having said we gave up too much for Williams, here are the upsides of the trade, as I see it:

1. Proven player who can play anywhere on the D-line, especially in the interior, an area of need for us
2. Adds a player who can pressure the QB, another area of need since Nwosu is lost for the year
3. No financial commitment beyond this year if we decide not to re-sign him (I think this is better than the 49ers committing $84 million to Hargrave.)
4. Yes, draft picks are valuable resources, but the returns are always unknown.

So it's a lot to give up for a half season rental, but there were reasons to do this, and definitely makes us better for this year. Montez Sweat would have been a better replacement for Nwosu, but he's going to definitely get a monster deal next year that we wouldn't be able to afford. Also, Williams, with his ability to play inside and outside provides more of what we need.

gabel

Reaction score

The only way this deal makes sense is:

1. We win the Super bowl.
2. He is extended before free agency.

As a coach I love Pete Carroll but as a trader I hate him. He got where we are by having great drafts. Trading away your future rarely works just ask Denver.

CPHawk

Reaction score
All the comments trying to justify this trade just shows that very very few of us would’ve made this trade. For a 29 year old DT entering the last year of a contract this was too much to give up.
If you are 70yo coach, the trade makes a lot of sense.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
The only way this deal makes sense is:

1. We win the Super bowl.
2. He is extended before free agency.

As a coach I love Pete Carroll but as a trader I hate him. He got where we are by having great drafts. Trading away your future rarely works just ask Denver.
Because big trades fail doesn’t mean they all fail. Hey let’s not try. Clearly they liked the FIT.

Latest posts