TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

FLSeahawk

Reaction score
Ravens
Commanders
Rams
9ers
Cowboys
9ers
Eagles

That’s our next 7 games, would you want to go through that with Young and Adams as our only DT depth and limited ability to rotate DT’s?

We’re in 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference, which is why the trade was made. If we can win 4 or more of those games we have a really good shot at the 1 or 2 seed and home field advantage until the NFC Championship or Superbowl.

Does this trade put us in a better position to do that? Absolutely. No way we make it through that meat grinder without a really good D-line rotation.

keasley45

Reaction score
All the comments trying to justify this trade just shows that very very few of us would’ve made this trade. For a 29 year old DT entering the last year of a contract this was too much to give up.

It doesn't require justification. It just makes sense.

It's not as if we are hurting for picks next year or have significant holes to fill.

They can work the cap with a few players

Dissly
Adams
Mone

Those three alone count for a good chunk of $ and the season will tell how critical a piece Adams is moving forward.

keasley45

Reaction score
And honestly, what makes it even better from a D perspective is if you look back on this season from the draft forward and all the debate around J Carter and how we SHOULD have taken him, 2023 saw us lock down one of the best Defensive players in the league, let alone the draft in Spoon AND we now fortify our line with Williams... a known commodity and difference maker day one and for seasons to come. ..

And what did we really lose? Nothing.

If in the draft, we'd taken Carter at 5 and then traded a 2nd, 5th (in 24 even) and our 1st round 19th for a spot where we got could have nabbed Spoon, we'd be in a similar position and no one would be complaining.

Instead we got Spoon, JSN, and now a no risk add at a position of need for comparable outlay.

We won , x2.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
I do wonder though how Bryant factored into this move or maybe would have if he was healthy. Or if they tried to move off of MJ. But in both cases, I don't know that the NYG were a good partner for either of them

Last edited:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
It doesn't require justification. It just makes sense.

It's not as if we are hurting for picks next year or have significant holes to fill.

They can work the cap with a few players

Dissly
Adams
Mone

Those three alone count for a good chunk of $ and the season will tell how critical a piece Adams is moving forward.
Not trying to be disagreeable here, but I think there will be some bigger holes on the roster after this year than a lot of people are thinking.

In particular, LB, OL and TE. Nothing some good draft picks can't help solve, but as Fade showed above, Wagner, Brooks and Bush are all out of contract. That's going to require some investment to not end up like last year's LB shit show.

keasley45

Reaction score
Not trying to be disagreeable here, but I think there will be some bigger holes on the roster after this year than a lot of people are thinking.

In particular, LB, OL and TE. Nothing some good draft picks can't help solve, but as Fade showed above, Wagner, Brooks and Bush are all out of contract. That's going to require some investment to not end up like last year's LB shit show.

Of course, but we are in an advantageous spot, given the youth of the team and age of a good number of contracts.

Agreed though that LB will need to be sorted. No doubt though that John will find a way to maintain what we've got going.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I want a montage of JReed and LWill being besties in Seattle; riding bikes a little bit too small for them, getting icecream, beating up meth heads, catching salmon in their mouths at pike place like bears...

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
For what it's worth The Athletic gave the deal an A- for both sides. Before this trade, in the back of my mind the thought as there as to what happens if we lose either of our starters in the interior d-line. Good to have some more depth there.

themunn

Reaction score
I love the trade.

And in terms of compensation I look at it this way - if the Giants had offered us a 2nd and 5th for Jones or for Reed and we traded them away (bearing in mind the Giants are likely to pick MUCH higher than us), I'd feel like the compensation doesn't match what we're getting in return given how big a need DL is on the team.

We just got a player who is better than either of them for the same (well, less really). How can I not be happy

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Cap #’s the next 3 years:
2024 +17m (22nd)
2025 +61m (28th)
2026 +257m (6th)

It’s not just next years cap we have to work with. The contracts will be worked over the next 3-4 years. It’s not all gloom and doom on the contract side.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
2024 +17m (22nd)
2025 +61m (28th)
2026 +257m (6th)

It’s not just next years cap we have to work with. The contracts will be worked over the next 3-4 years. It’s not all gloom and doom on the contract side.

There's no doom and gloom for me.

You got a proven stud for your greatest position of need, and even as a rental player for the rest of the year the Giants just paid 10M for a mid to late 2nd round pick. All Williams cost us is 600k.

But my guess is if he balls out, we have plenty of cap to pay him moving forward by backloading his contract to 2025 and 2026.

If he doesn't ball out? Let him go and you already have an extra 3rd rounder that'll be not that far apart from your lost 2nd.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Many don't like Top Billin' but his video on this trade is a fun watch.
Everyone that’s made a video on this (that I’ve seen) are either stoked as Hawk fans, or afraid as fans of other teams. .

The absolute consensus is, this made Seattle significantly better.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
2024 +17m (22nd)
2025 +61m (28th)
2026 +257m (6th)

That's not entirely correct. You'll notice the $17m is only for 41 players. If you add 12 more at league minimum salary, that reduces by another $8-9m for 2024. It will go down even more when the rookies don't all get minimum salary.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
That's not entirely correct. You'll notice the $17m is only for 41 players. If you add 12 more at league minimum salary, that reduces by another $8-9m for 2024. It will go down even more when the rookies don't all get minimum salary.
What's not correct? Those are the #'s. I didn't infer that this covered the entire team...anyone with a brain should understand that this is cap space for the years identified currently.

The point is that all 3 years showing (+2027 & 2028 honestly) are at play for structuring/restructuring salaries.

Latest posts