To everyone who miss it ....

Bootsy51

Reaction score

Its Just Words, but Words with an huge effect on young Players and Teamspirit itself

seabowl

Reaction score
Love Carrolls enthusiasm but never understood the “can you win the game” speeches that we’ve heard a bunch. If you go down big in the first second or third quarters and don’t come back to win it then you did lose those games in those quarters. I get it, he’s trying to insinuate you’re never out of it but my opinion the message should be full effort every quarter.

Hey, who am I to question him as he took a team from nothing and won a Super Bowl.

Go Hawks!

themunn

Reaction score
Love Carrolls enthusiasm but never understood the “can you win the game” speeches that we’ve heard a bunch. If you go down big in the first second or third quarters and don’t come back to win it then you did lose those games in those quarters. I get it, he’s trying to insinuate you’re never out of it but my opinion the message should be full effort every quarter.

Hey, who am I to question him as he took a team from nothing and won a Super Bowl.

Go Hawks!

The Vikings came from 33-0 down at half time to beat the Colts literally just 3 weeks ago.

Carroll's point is and has and always will be simple here - no matter how the game is going, it's not over until it's over, and even if you start slow, if you finish strong you can still win it.

Sure you can go down big and that makes it harder - but if you have the mindset that you have lost the game because you're down 33-0 at halftime, then you *will* lose the game. If you have the mindset that "sure it's 33-0, but we can still win this", well then you're *probably* still going to lose, but maybe, just maybe, you might win it.

OP
OP
Bootsy51

Bootsy51

Reaction score
I get what U mean ....its other Words for " It's Not how U start. its how U Finish "
That's Not fitting for every Game for shure....But it impressive all time is how powerfull His speeches are . And now with that new Team we got are in the Playoffs ... It seems to work again!
Go Hawks!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score

Go Hawks!
Couldn't agree more. Love his passion and motivational skills. But it's NOT just ok to come out flat in the first half of games then try to tear it up in the 2nd half.
Can you win the game in the 1st quarter? No, but you can TRY :)
And they have 1 playoff win in 6 years. While our 10 trips in 15 years is impressive, especially in the age of free agency etc. I just would like to see the same approach for 4 quarters. He is one hell of a coach, but this has been going on for several years.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
One of the reasons we had to have a great running game is to wear them down. Wear them down and then take over in the 4th quarter. Which is what we used to do. A great running game runs the clock out and reduces offensive possessions for the other team. No ball, no score.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As you know, nothing that coaches say should be analyzed for objective truth as that isn't the purpose. Most coachisms are false but incentivize their players in the right directions. The Hall of Fame coachism should go to Kirby Smart for convincing Georgia players that everybody was doubting them this season.

Pete also plenty of other messages besides this one, but we hear the 4th Q one a lot at the end of games because it makes sense to emphasize finishing strong no matter what the game state is:
A) Is the game close? Put maximum effort into the finish because the 4th quarter matters most.
B) Are you up big? Put maximum effort into the finish and don't get complacent because the 4th quarter matters most.
C) Are you down big? Put maximum effort in because you can still win, the 4th quarter matters most like in family fued.

Psychologically, it's really about setting aside the past and emphasizing the now.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
at least it's not "who's got it better than us?"