To all you Bevell Boasters,,,,,,,,,,,

mistaowen

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2ix7ti0i said:
mistaowen":2ix7ti0i said:
Zebulon Dak":2ix7ti0i said:
I think Bevell called a good game last night for the most part.

TRADE FOR REX GROSSMAN

BRING BACK TJ!

Just spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any. Always loved the TJ!TJ!TJ! stuff, constantly laughed out loud.

Back to the point though, Bevell has potential. Some of his plays are beautiful. The first half he was awesome even though I haven't liked the majority of his playcalling. The deep pass to Rice against the Pats was amazing. Same formation, took time to get to the line, and then hit them with a playaction double move. It just isn't consistently unexpected. An easy out is to say the 49ers have a great defense, which they do, but we honestly dominated them in the first half. That is what goes back to my initial point though, I think Bevell gets dominated by the other teams D coordinator when it isn't scripted. The fact we were only up 6-3 was pathetic. That had more to do with inexcusable mistakes than Bevell at that point, but we didn't make adjustments. There is NO excuse to call only 5 passing plays before the 2 minute warning in a half. It doesn't matter if we have Barry Sanders running behind Walt and Hutch again, teams will just stack the box and have more defenders than blockers. Les, you even said we ran 6 straight rushing plays after getting gifted a first down on special teams, that just isn't NFL caliber playcalling. This all goes back to me having more head scratching than cheering on offense.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Mr Radish, would you mind just reposting your rant at the start of every game? It's a point that requires reinforcing...

I do find it quite funny though, that a handful of athletically & technically gifted individuals dedicate their professional lives, health and futures to honing their craft to within millimetres of perfection, spend all their waking hours in memorising plays, practicing endless scenarios & pushing themselves to the edge of the mental precipice.... And then the rest of us rock up twenty minutes before kickoff, drink a barrel of beer and then tell them how they're doing it wrong :)

Pstark3

Reaction score
seahawk2k":34nvc6z6 said:
Bevell called an absolutely brilliant first half last night, the lack of points was not his fault.

I think a lot of people ripping him have never coached or called plays in their life. I don't agree with every call but I see the logic in most of his calls. I think execution is the problem at this point.
I agree 100%

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I have been a Bevell hater as far as play calling. I thought he has done better though the last few games. Not great still some puzzling things. But better. Since he is getting better i will wait to reserve judgement till the play book opens up a bit more. Only criticism i have of him right now is his WR screens are really starting to piss me off and his redzone play calling is just atrocious at times. You don't run WR screens against teams that play up in your face like the 49ers. I like the aggressiveness of the down field shots though. I think you need to take a few of those shots each game anyways. Our boys are getting better and i think the OL needs to help RW and Bevell out a little more with the pass pro. Only other thing i don't like as far as what i see is when the WRs don't get open they seem to just quit and stop or jog around a lot of times. That is one of the things i love about Tate. He doesn't stop trying to get open if he isn't open initially although he needs to stop the chest catching. All in all they are getting better. We played a top 3 defense in the NFL and had some success that is positive enough for me.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Play-calling is notoriously hard to truly criticize for two major reasons.

First, there is so much hindsight bias involved. Fans will only ever say that they would have picked a different play than the one that didn't work. No one says oh man that deep ball worked, but we should have ran. And of course, no one gets to suggest alternate playcalling and see what the result is. Also, maybe you would have picked the same play given the information at hand.

Second, without knowing the nuances of an failed offensive play, it is difficult to know if it was lack of execution or just a good defensive play that stopped it. Remember, the OC doesn't know what the defense will pick and it is the QB's job to audible. As we have a young QB, new to the system, I don't expect many audibles. Also, in my experience, it is a lack of execution or just getting beat man to man that kills many offensive plays rather than bad scheme.

I think we will see how the offense changes as the season progresses. I have already seen progress in the playcalling since the first game and Thursday was more about bad execution and a good defense playing at home than play calling.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Bevell is a decent OC but is anybody here willing to say he has the capability of being a very good to superior OC? Most important question is not whether we can do better than Bevell but whether Bevell's playcalling and work with the offense gives us an edge in the winning department. We tend to blame PC for holding back the passing offense but the head coach PC is always willing to take the blame. Not hating on Bevell just lighting a fire to get this OC thinking which seems to be working.

The theme this year is about COMPETITION and nobody is immune to scrutiny--not Wilson, not Flynn and definitely not Bevell. That's how we get better.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
By the way OP you spelled Bevell wrong. You demand respect for the guy you may as well get his name right.

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":31fy5oba said:
By the way OP you spelled Bevell wrong. You demand respect for the guy you may as well get his name right.

opps, thanks

& btw I wasn't demanding respect for him, hell I hate some of his calls too.

Making the point we don't know near as much as the coaches/staff, some just think they do.

just sayin

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the Bevell hiring, but I'm giving him a mulligan for this season and the last. I view his situation like Gus Bradley's the past couple years, in that it's hard to look smart if you don't have any pieces to work with (ie. Tarvaris Jackson and a rookie Russell Wilson).

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
BASF":1t4vasrt said:
Zebulon Dak":1t4vasrt said:
Mistashoesta":1t4vasrt said:
Zeb, is your avi a dead panther?

No, it's a friendly dolphin.

Isn't that He-Man's sword? By the power of Grayskull!

Yes! Thank you for noticing. I'm running out of creative ways to kill other teams avatars that aren't ambiguously racist or otherwise borderline offensive. That Viking's gonna get it though.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Was it Bevell's fault our people can't catch the damn ball? How is that Bevell's fault? He called some perfectly designed plays and we dropped the ball(s).

We didn't lose that game on play calling, we lost it on execution!.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2dn0o09v said:
Was it Bevell's fault our people can't catch the damn ball? How is that Bevell's fault? He called some perfectly designed plays and we dropped the ball(s).

Do you really believe that fans that don't think Bevell is good enough are basing their opinions on this one single game? Pretty obvious that it's not Bevell's fault that the WR's dropped those passes or any dropped passes in his entire tenure here.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Shane Falco":2onj2e67 said:
LymonHawk":2onj2e67 said:

Do you really believe that fans that don't think Bevell is good enough are basing their opinions on this one single game? Pretty obvious that it's not Bevell's fault that the WR's dropped those passes or any dropped passes in his entire tenure here.

I'm sure this game has more than a little to do with it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2h9e35el said:
That said, sometimes fans are smarter than coaches or OC's. I've got quite a few qualms about what Bevell is doing. The "fan humility" that you preach, Les, doesn't take away those questions, but it does reduce the bile with which I ask them.

I'm not sure whom you are referring to in that statement, but if anyone who has never been employed as an NFL OC seriously thinks this, they need to get a grip.

There are a few message board OC's in here that really need to take a few steps back to either regain or acquire some perspective.