Thoughts on Geno's contract

sutz

Reaction score
Gotta give Geno some credit here. He's betting on himself with a lot of his deal depending on incentives. We don't know the deets on those yet, but it's showing some guts to give the team that much coverage on a deal that is largely "prove it" laden.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Yeah?, the only damned thing Geno had "Going For Him", is his winning >COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR<, did Carr do anything like that??? NOPE, Geno also Made the Pro-Bowl, and damned near doubled the EXPECTED wins; All that with Blythe at Center (evaporating Passer Pocket) and less than stellar RG Play, and a Run Game that could have been BETTER had his RB's stayed healthy.
Geno's now working on his SECOND season with the two Tackles who're no longer greenhorns, This is where Continuity will start to pay off.

Correct, what Geno had going for him was 1 year of stellar play.

Doesn't change anything about why his market was below Carr & Jones.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't bother trying to have a football conversation with Scutter. He'll just go cry in the corner. He's not worth it.
You could literally TELL HIM you like Geno as a QB, are glad they re-signed him, and he'll still get all bent out of shape because you don't caress Geno's nads 24/7.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The deal is essentially, 2 years. What’s so wrong with that? Don’t see why people are up in arms about a guy that is well liked by his peers and the coaching staff.

2 year deal and Geno will likely move on.

Geno’s been in the league for a long time and I’m generally happy he got some money coming his way. If you’re not a fan of it, what other current QBs could Seattle have gone after??
The beauty of Geno's new contract is that the team can walk away after this year with little consequence. There's an offset clause in the contract for the guaranteed $12M in 2024.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Excellent deal for both sides. I love that there is 30 mil in incentives in there. Hopefully he gets all those incentives.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Don't bother trying to have a football conversation with Scutter. He'll just go cry in the corner. He's not worth it.
You could literally TELL HIM you like Geno as a QB, are glad they re-signed him, and he'll still get all bent out of shape because you don't caress Geno's nads 24/7.
HEY! Play nice!

Lol 😂 For real though let’s try and refrain from any personal attacks.

bileever

Reaction score
Given the adage of it only takes one…

What team do you think was going to give Geno that deal?
There are many QB-needy teams in the NFL. We just saw Daniel Jones sign for $160 million and Derek Carr for $150. Now, I realize that there are other factors that led to those QBs getting really good deals, but Geno still had a better year than either of them. I think that there are teams like the Commanders, Titans, Panthers, Falcons, Bucs and Jets who need a QB, and they aren't in a position to draft one, and there aren't enough good FA QBs to go around. The Ravens may be looking for a QB soon. Also, a team that's drafting a QB, like the Texans and the Colts might want to have a veteran that the rookie can sit behind for a year or two. I think there definitely would have been a market. He probably wouldn't have gotten $40 million a year, but I could have seen a team offering an average of $29 million for 3 or 4 years. I think both the Seahawks and Geno went for the sure thing, and I'm happy about that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
That's because free agency hasn't started yet. But the contracts given to the clearly inferior Carr and Jones show that Smith could quite probably have gotten more on the market. He chose not to do so.

Let's not get too greedy. The team has already gotten one huge upgrade at QB, going from a guy who was in the bottom three among starting QBs in the NFL last season to a guy who was easily in the top ten.

You lost me as soon as I read 'clearly inferior'. I would take either of those QBs over Smith.

Wilson did stink last year, but lets hold judgment until he plays for a competent coach, in which he has now with Payton (the guy a lot of people here said wouldnt sign with Denver because of Wilson).

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
View attachment 58069

wow. that cope is so delicious. :ROFLMAO: that's gotta be left-over resentment from being so horrifically wrong about geno and me3 prior to last season.

btw, last season aaron rodgers v. geno smith:

View attachment 58068

so a 39 years old QB in aaron rodgers- a drama queen threatening retirement again, showing probable signs of CTE, and who's play is in visible decline is worth the gamble...

but no confidence in a 32 years old geno smith that just outperformed aaron rodgers (see above), was comeback player of the year, probowler, a team-player loved by his teammates, led us to the playoffs despite a terrible defense... no confidence eh?

unbelievable cope.

Come on. He had zero to work with in Green Bay. Funny how one of the best receivers in football in Davante Adams was wanting him back in Las Vegas. There's a reason for that. No sane person would ever choose Geno Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You won't admit anything. You're already lying about him being "the old Smith" through the second half of the season. Mild regression does not equal "he is now bad!" and it's a lie to say otherwise.

Feel free to cherrypick whatever stats you want on that one, but the fact is that he remained above average in most quantifiable measures throughout the second half of the year.

You didnt notice the picks and bad decisions? Ok, no big deal. I know most fans have already labeled him as the next Johnny Unitas and best QB the Seahawks have ever had so we'll just leave it at that. We'll just have to wait and see how the next few years play out.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You didnt notice the picks and bad decisions? Ok, no big deal. I know most fans have already labeled him as the next Johnny Unitas and best QB the Seahawks have ever had so we'll just leave it at that. We'll just have to wait and see how the next few years play out.
Screenshot 20230307 165727 Chrome
I don't think there's any reasonable discussion to be had with a dude who wants the above player over Geno even with 2022 being an outlier, so yeah, let's leave it at that bud

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hey Fishey, take note of the cold nose who's nuzzling your backside. LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Again, Take your own advise......"Breathe In", OH AND, French Kiss my ..............

Latest posts