Thoughts on Geno's contract

WarHawks

Reaction score
His contract means we aren't hamstringing ourselves either way. If he plays great, yay for us. If not, then it won't bankrupt the team to move him along. It really is a win win.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Legal tampering period doesn't even start for another week. No other team has even had a chance to make an offer yet.
But in all likelihood, his agents and their staff were at the Combine to get an understanding of the FA QB market... and it's not a coincidence that Geno signs with Seattle a couple of days later.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Are you aware that the typical contract restructuring is a good thing for the player involved? Teams take base salary that the player could earn and give it to them immediately in the form of a signing bonus which can then be accounted for over the duration of the contract due to the cap rules. It's not a sacrifice in any way and portraying it like the player did somebody else a favor is misleading.

So all the times people on this board were applauding Brady for doing it was all BS? Got it.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I honestly believe Geno could have gotten more than $25 million per year on the open market. Both PFF and nfl.com listed Geno as the 2nd highest ranked free agent for this year, behind Lamar Jackson. He is getting paid less than any of the 15 highest paid QBs, and we know he is better than a number of them.
Given the adage of it only takes one…

What team do you think was going to give Geno that deal?

Jville

Reaction score
Given the adage of it only takes one…

What team do you think was going to give Geno that deal?

I think the relevant question is ...... what other team was Geno willing to sign such a deal with?

I'm thinking ................. none.

AgentDib

Reaction score
So all the times people on this board were applauding Brady for doing it was all BS? Got it.
Absolutely, and it's why Brady ultimately had to move on. Restructuring is good for everybody in the short term but kicks the cap issue down the road. It can only be done for so long, and is always negative for your future prospects. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it but it's a tradeoff.

The reason people lauded Brady is that for a player widely considered the GOAT he did take a lot less money then he could have if he was playing hardball on the open market like many other QBs do. I don't blame the QBs a bit - we all want to paid as much as possible for our work. However, going for the absolute maximum does reduce the quality of the team that can be built around you.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Discussions do not equal negotiations, and nothing replaces the pressure of watching all your free agent options starting to get snatched up by other teams. That tends to open the purse.
This cuts both ways, especially in a year with a glut of vet QBs on the market and 4 projected to go round 1.

We are starting to see that with the NYJ, with GB being the potential beneficiary of their increasing desperation.
GB overpaid for a depreciated asset and are looking to correct the mistake. If the Jets are desperate enough to make a deal for Rodgers doesn‘t that speak to Geno’s relative value?
PFF had him modeled at 37.5, for 4 years, and Spotrac at 39.3, for 2 years. It's entirely possible that the threat of the franchise tag made him consider a lower offer than he might have received elsewhere.

The actual incentive structure will be interesting to see. I imagine it's going to be reasonably fair to both sides, with Geno earning all of it if he repeats his success of last year.
Agreed it’s all speculation until we see LTBE vs NLTBE.

Unless the LTBE is in the 7 mil range don’t see how a fully guaranteed 33 mil one year deal is a threat.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Absolutely, and it's why Brady ultimately had to move on. Restructuring is good for everybody in the short term but kicks the cap issue down the road. It can only be done for so long, and is always negative for your future prospects. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it but it's a tradeoff.

The reason people lauded Brady is that for a player widely considered the GOAT he did take a lot less money then he could have if he was playing hardball on the open market like many other QBs do. I don't blame the QBs a bit - we all want to paid as much as possible for our work. However, going for the absolute maximum does reduce the quality of the team that can be built around you.

Color me a cynic…given that is was the Patriots I’m sure there was more off book side money than we already know about with his TB12 Sports therapy.

Wonder how many endorsements and appearance fees Giselle received that could be traced to a Kraft enterprise.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Seemed to work out for the Patriots for many years. Not sure where your getting your short term idea. Brady moved on because he wanted a multi-year contract and Billichick didnt want to give an old, aging QB that kind of deal. Its not that they didnt have the money, it was just a business deal. It had nothing to do with his contract restructures.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
GB overpaid for a depreciated asset and are looking to correct the mistake. If the Jets are desperate enough to make a deal for Rodgers doesn‘t that speak to Geno’s relative value?

Rodgers put GB in a pickle with his threats of retiring and head games with the FO. The issue with Rodgers is that he is still one of the best QBs in the league and worth the gamble. As for Smiths value, I still dont think there's hardly anybody that believes in him. He had his ceiling year last season and even looked like the old Smith for the second half of it. Like most pundits, I see Smith as a QB that I have little confidence in. If he plays just as well or better than last season under his new contract, color me wrong and i'll readily admit it. Honestly, I hope he does and turns out to be more than a one hit wonder.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Lol. Wilson restructured his contract to bring in Duane Brown. Some of you just need to stop and quit trying to paint him as such a villain.
The restructure did not reduce Wilson's compensation at all. All it did was change some of the accounting to create some temporary cap space. You try to make it sound like Wilson let them reduce his compensation to get a player. He did not.
You "just need to stop and quit trying to paint him" as a hero. Or a good NFL QB.

As for Smiths contract, he's still in Seattle because nobody else offered him more.

That's because free agency hasn't started yet. But the contracts given to the clearly inferior Carr and Jones show that Smith could quite probably have gotten more on the market. He chose not to do so.

He didnt sign the contract as a favor to the Seahawks. I think its a bit high, but i'm mostly indifferent about it. Seems it'll help to sign some players and fill some holes for when the time comes that the team gets a better QB.

Let's not get too greedy. The team has already gotten one huge upgrade at QB, going from a guy who was in the bottom three among starting QBs in the NFL last season to a guy who was easily in the top ten.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
The issue with Rodgers is that he is still one of the best QBs in the league and worth the gamble.
I see Smith as a QB that I have little confidence in.

wow. that cope is so delicious. :ROFLMAO: that's gotta be left-over resentment from being so horrifically wrong about geno and me3 prior to last season.

btw, last season aaron rodgers v. geno smith:

Geno v rodgers

so a 39 years old QB in aaron rodgers- a drama queen threatening retirement again, showing probable signs of CTE, and who's play is in visible decline is worth the gamble...

but no confidence in a 32 years old geno smith that just outperformed aaron rodgers (see above), was comeback player of the year, probowler, a team-player loved by his teammates, led us to the playoffs despite a terrible defense... no confidence eh?

unbelievable cope.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I doubt Geno discounted, his market simply wasn’t there.

Carr got paid for proven production over time.
Jones got paid for youth and potential.

Geno has none of that going for him.
Yeah?, the only damned thing Geno had "Going For Him", is his winning >COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR<, did Carr do anything like that??? NOPE, Geno also Made the Pro-Bowl, and damned near doubled the EXPECTED wins; All that with Blythe at Center (evaporating Passer Pocket) and less than stellar RG Play, and a Run Game that could have been BETTER had his RB's stayed healthy.
Geno's now working on his SECOND season with the two Tackles who're no longer greenhorns, This is where Continuity will start to pay off.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Don’t see any issues with Geno’s contract.

It is a standard, market level salary contract.

I think people are losing the fact that Geno is fully supported and well-liked by the rest of the team.

Can’t say that about a previous QB Seattle had.

The deal is essentially, 2 years. What’s so wrong with that? Don’t see why people are up in arms about a guy that is well liked by his peers and the coaching staff.

2 year deal and Geno will likely move on.

Geno’s been in the league for a long time and I’m generally happy he got some money coming his way. If you’re not a fan of it, what other current QBs could Seattle have gone after??

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah?, the only damned thing Geno had "Going For Him", is his winning >COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR<, did Carr do anything like that??? NOPE, Geno also Made the Pro-Bowl, and damned near doubled the EXPECTED wins; All that with Blythe at Center (evaporating Passer Pocket) and less than stellar RG Play, and a Run Game that could have been BETTER had his RB's stayed healthy.
Geno's now working on his SECOND season with the two Tackles who're no longer greenhorns, This is where Continuity will start to pay off.
Breathe in Scutter, most are good with the Geno contract. It was good for both sides. Relax ☮️

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smith himself said that he would be making business decisions at the end of the day in a press conference.
So it's your belief that NOT being greedy and doing right by the Team that gave him his chance to PROVE he had the goods is bad "Business"?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rodgers put GB in a pickle with his threats of retiring and head games with the FO. The issue with Rodgers is that he is still one of the best QBs in the league and worth the gamble. As for Smiths value, I still dont think there's hardly anybody that believes in him. He had his ceiling year last season and even looked like the old Smith for the second half of it. Like most pundits, I see Smith as a QB that I have little confidence in. If he plays just as well or better than last season under his new contract, color me wrong and i'll readily admit it. Honestly, I hope he does and turns out to be more than a one hit wonder.
You won't admit anything. You're already lying about him being "the old Smith" through the second half of the season. Mild regression does not equal "he is now bad!" and it's a lie to say otherwise.

Feel free to cherrypick whatever stats you want on that one, but the fact is that he remained above average in most quantifiable measures throughout the second half of the year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, the fact that they threw in 30 mil of incentives is even better. Gives him plenty of motivation to continue to prove people wrong. Hopefully he's even better in 2023.