The TE position, what would YOU do if you were GM?

The TE position, what would YOU do if you were GM?

• Nothing, roll on with Double LL, Hollister and Dickson?

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • Trade for OJ Howard?

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Trade for Austin Hooper?

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Trade for Delaney Walker?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Trade for Vernon Davis?

• Sign ASJ?

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • What's a TE?

• Total voters

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not to skirt the question, but my answer completely depends on Ed Dickson coming back healthy in two weeks or not.

If he's ready to roll, then I'm fine going forward with Willson, Dickson and Hollister. If Dickson isn't healthy, and won't be for some time, or even all year then IMO we need to try to go out and find a veteran that can block.

Neither Willson or Hollister are good blocking TE's, so it's going to affect our run game if we have to bring in Hunt or Fant everytime telegraphing run plays.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Count me in the Hooper or Howard camp. Who is the better blocker?

DJrmb

Reaction score
They only had 2 TE's to enter the season, and Fant who's technically more a lineman. If Dickson is coming back and is healthy I don't think there is any reason to make a move. Especially because we need any roster spot we can save with Reed, Haynes, Christmas, and Dickson all possibly coming back...

massari

Reaction score
Dissly seems to be going down a similar path to Tyler Eifert and can't rely on him being in the lineup, so adding Howard would be my choice to come in and be the guy for the next several seasons.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Howard is a solid player no doubt. Haven't looked at his contract, but I would love to see him added. I like Luke but he's average at best. Howard is all of 24 years old.

KillerB

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2jdyhk5k said:
Count me in the Hooper or Howard camp. Who is the better blocker?

I buy this concept. Whichever one of these guys can be had for a fair deal (if either).

I like me some Dissly, but his knees may not be NFL-able. And who knows how he will come back from yet another serious injury.

Fade

Reaction score
Austin Hooper if the price is right.

Dissly as much as I like him, cannot be counted upon to stay healthy. So he has to settle being the #2 TE going forward.

Travis

Reaction score
I honestly hope Dissly can come back to something approaching 100% of what he was before this injury. What he's shown on the field has been tremendous and he's a great weapon for Russ.

That said, I wonder if there might be some silver lining to the story. Not for this season mind you, but however they handle things for the rest of this season, I'm assuming that back to back season ending injuries will have them hesitant to rely on him as the #1 next year.

If and two very big ifs here, but *if* they trade for a guy like Howard or Hooper now or they address the TE1 spot through the draft/UFA in the offseason and *if* Dissly can even be 80% of his pre-injury self next year, not only is that great injury insurance but would create the potential for some really fun 2 TE sets that would give the offense a level of flexibility that they haven't had.....ever? Zach Miller was one of the best total package TEs they've had, but I don't remember there being anybody close to what Dissly has looked like at TE2.

For this season, obviously depends on price but I would not hate to hear about OJ Howard becoming a Seahawk.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont think its time to give up on him. Fluke injuries happen,its unfortunate. In the past it wouldnt have been a big deal but the TE is being used more than in the past. It seems like recovery for this type is almost a full year.

Walkers contract is too high, Howard has 2 yrs left at 3 and 3.5 but it would take a high pick, Hooper is cheaper but he is in his last year.

Howard would give you time to see if Will comes back who knows maybe Howard hits it big. That would be my choice if the pick wasnt too high.

rcaido

Reaction score
Vannett? Maybe he will have the most fun playing here again.

Mick063

Reaction score
Luke Willson is adequate relative to all other scenarios.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Luke and Hollister is fine for a coupla weeks.

Maybe run D.K. in-line a bit. Dude can block and he's as physical as they come.

I'd love to see Schotty try to create some linebacker/strong-safety-on-D.K. matchups.

getnasty

Reaction score
Eifert might be another name to add to the lis if the Bengals are some of the money. I think Howard would cost to much draft capital, Falcons aren't trading Hooper, Walker might cost to much $ wise. Just don't see us making a trade, but wouldn't be shocked if we did.