What do you base your opinion of JS on?

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Remember when we got hot in 2015 by
Throwing slants over the middle and when the oline was sucking bad n pete said he had to turn em loose
Coaching is a lot more involved than we know
I believe js has done what he could with what he had so im a believer
Go Hawks

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
We get it, you want to do the negative 24/7 thing. JS is a hell of a GM, even if you don't see it.

And it's not about who YOU want them to hire. And you don't know 20 percent about football as JS does. Even if you think you do.

Let's be real here. No matter WHO they hire, you'll say John is an idiot and you'll start a thread to tell us all how much he sucks.
You seriously need to learn to read. I’ve consistently said I don’t know enough to think he is good or bad despite some good and bad decisions made during his time here.

Your position seems to be: “ I know he’s a great GM even if you are too stupid to see it. I won’t explain WHY I think that in any detail but you are always negative. Shut up and don’t have an opinion because everyone knows more about football then the fans.“

your showing your idiocy. There are 4-5 good candidates for coach that if they get hired AND FAIL I would not blame JS at all. Quinn is an obvious stupid move and not one of those. Our new coach might end up sucking and after the honeymoon will comment on their decisions. But that’s on them not JS.

I wanted to know WHY people who think he is great think he is great. You offer nothing but the viewpoint of a lemming.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's fine, all a matter of opinion. He's done a lot more good that bad, imo. If you think he sucks, cool.
I never called you stupid once. Stop being so sensitive.

How about you telling everyone who you think he is NOT GREAT? Instead, you'll whine like you always do. Put me on ignore or get the f over it. Don't like what I have to say, too bad.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thanks. I found the Cowherd clip. He said that "John too often deferred to the coach." But it doesn't specify who wanted whom. What if it was Pete who wanted DK for example? Or are we to believe Pete only wanted the Colliers and Eskridges of the world? While all the good picks were on John?

We do know that Pete coveted fast and physical players, just like Al Davis did.

IMO, there was a disconnect between Pete's vision and the talent acquisition. Pete liked fast and physical players with chips on their shoulders - basically the LOB roster. He wanted a smashmouth type team, which is why he pestered John to get the Lynch deal done. It’s why he wanted ET over Taylor Mays. It’s why he wanted Bruce Irvin, when he was on no one else's first round draft board. Kam, was that a Pete or John pick?

But then in recent drafts, they drafted o-line that graded high pass blocking but not run blocking? And K9 is fast, but he’s not a physical back like a Najee Harris or Breece Hall.

And Waldron was pass happy during his time here. Were they going away from Pete’s vision of a smash mouth team to get with the times? Did he allow Hurtt to bring in the Fangio scheme to get with the times, when he should have just stuck to what he knew best?

The 2023 team had no identity. Besides Spoon and DK, they were soft. I don’t know if that softness was John deferring to Pete or Pete deferring to John. Or most likely a combination thereof.

But we'll learn soon about what type of team John wants to build going forward.
It's all very fair. Also who's to say if Pete did override the scouting department maybe he got a few right too? There is so much we don't know about how it all worked out. I have my suspicians but its all guesswork

knownone

Reaction score
This topic is another Rorschach test for our fanbase. There is very little (if any) concrete evidence on who made what decisions. Yet a subset of our fanbase is running with the notion that John drove most of the good choices, and Pete made most of the bad ones.

KinesProf

Reaction score
My opinion on John Schneider is based upon being the GM for Seattle's only Super Bowl champion, winning the NFC twice, and in a cap league designed for parity has a .606 winning percentage and makes the playoffs more frequently than not. Probably one of the top 4-5 operations in the league during his time here so far.

Now, how much of that was Pete? - A lot.

How much of it was John? - tough to say, but we're about to find out. He has consolidated all of the power when it comes to football for this organization. And now the spotlight is squarely on him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I don't trust Jody when it comes to sports. Look what she's done to the Trailblazers.

If we're relying on her to run the show, this franchise is doomed.
Hmm, so her canning Pete Carroll was a flub-up?, I mean She DOES have the final say.

knownone

Reaction score
Firing an established coach for the sake of change without a plan moving forward is terrible management. It remains to be seen if that's the case in Seattle. But there are several red flags with how things have been handled that concern seems like a valid perspective.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
me: I don’t know about JS why is he good?
Soulfishhawk: He just is why do you think he sucks?

someone who has a strong opinion and cannot explain why AND tries to describe your opinion as something different than what you clearly stated is useless to have a logical discussion with. No more wasting my time with him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Firing an established coach for the sake of change without a plan moving forward is terrible management. It remains to be seen if that's the case in Seattle. But there are several red flags with how things have been handled that concern seems like a valid perspective.
There is a plan, John knows what he wants to do, we don't have the plan but he has one, he has had one for years and his file of coaches and others he keeps updated.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
me: I don’t know about JS why is he good?
Soulfishhawk: He just is why do you think he sucks?

someone who has a strong opinion and cannot explain why AND tries to describe your opinion as something different than what you clearly stated is useless to have a logical discussion with. No more wasting my time with him.
Dude, you're trying too hard. I don't care if you have a different opinion. I think he's good, you don't. Big deal.
You're a whiner, period. It's funny to me. You bring nothing but doom and gloom. Piss off.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This topic is another Rorschach test for our fanbase. There is very little (if any) concrete evidence on who made what decisions. Yet a subset of our fanbase is running with the notion that John drove most of the good choices, and Pete made most of the bad ones.
It's part of what makes being a fan fun. Of course we don't know, you could argue that with most sports topics but its fun to talk about it, share opinions, disagree at times and not take it too seriously. I would also argue the leaks do give us a potential clue. We have a scout claiming Pete messed up the process at times. Maybe its true and maybe it isn't. I think its interesting that someone wanted to get that out though and stay anonymous.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would argue this is similar to your example earlier of us wondering with zero evidence. I seriously doubt they just woke up one day and decided to fire Pete with no plan in place. John even stated he's been working on a contingency plan for months in case this was to happen.

GemCity

Reaction score
Just a fan forum folks. Even if you don’t agree with or understand another’s “logic”, it’s entertainment at the end of the day.

Now, if one of you are a paid Seahawks employee, let me know before I shit myself.

Seahawker

Reaction score
It's all very fair. Also who's to say if Pete did override the scouting department maybe he got a few right too? There is so much we don't know about how it all worked out. I have my suspicians but its all guesswork
We know that during the fourteen year collaberation between PC & JS that Pete had final say over decisions. Excluding their early and last couple of drafts, we've had some bad luck mixed with a dry spell resulting in a weak roster and significant dead $ in our future.

Trades
Jamal Adams two 1st & a 3rd.
Percy Harvin 1st & 3rd.
Jimmy Graham 1st & Unger.
Trades = four 1st & two 3rds

Draft/round
2021 2 Eskridge
2019 1 Collier
2019 2 Blair
2019 3 Barton
2017 2 McDowell
2016 1 Ifedi
2014 2 Richardson
2014 2 Britt
2013 2 Michael
Draft Talley = two 1st, six 2nds & one 3rd

Total FA & Draft above.
Six 1st, six 2nd & three 3rd rounders.
So, for an 8 year period it was like we went without a 1st & 2nd round pick for six of those years and we accumulated dead money like nobody's business.

I don't think too many GM's would consider letting their offensive line and front seven defense crumble a success.
I also do not think throwing high Draft picks & salary cap $ at aging FA's is good for future team building.

I'll end this just to say I don't know who or what was at fault for the above but I have suspicions. If John is worth his salt it will take discipline over the next two years to recover from a mountain of dead money and restore this roster to full strength. Let JS do his business without any outside sources clamoring for new toys to play with. Moving forward John's name will be on it, he will own it. With a little patience and tempered expectations, I'm excited to see what he can do.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Trades
Jamal Adams two 1st & a 3rd.
Percy Harvin 1st & 3rd.
Jimmy Graham 1st & Unger.
Trades = four 1st & two 3rds
Adams and Harvin fits the player profile that Pete covets. I'm pretty sure Pete told John to go get those guys, like he did with Lynch.

BUT the draft capital given up, is in John's wheelhouse. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Pete's in the negotiation room negotiating the trade value with the other GM.

Adams wanted out of NY. John should have had the leverage in that deal.