What do you base your opinion of JS on?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I keep seeing people saying he is one of the best. I am not against JS but there have been plenty of dumbass moves over the last 8 years and he had to play a role in most of them.

So, honest question, why do you think JS is a great GM if in fact you do believe that?

irfuben32

Reaction score
It's extremely difficult to evaluate without knowing the details of who was responsible for what moves.

It does worry me though when the coaching staff was unable to figure out how to properly use Jimmy Graham or Jamal Adams after giving up major capital for them. It makes me think the coaches weren't the one driving the trade.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
irfuben 32 I agree.

That said JS seems to have made a few major blunders but was he responsible for them, or was he deferring to PC?

To answer the OP, JS has recently been on a relatively hot streak in terms of personnel selection but he has some blind spots and they seem to be worst as far as OLinemen and Interior Defensive linemen. We need to put aside the negativity of the Adams trade which has an injury basis for it's failure. That said Adams was special in his first season in Seattle. JS seems to be good at coming through the castoff piles and has a good eye for QBs. It had become clear that he'd already assumed the greater amount of decision making for personnel as PC became more distant from the draft yet he got vetoed by PC throughout his # 2 status whenever PC wanted someone.

I believe he has a real ability to keep the nucleus of a competitive team together.

GemCity

Reaction score
Simply knowing that PC had ultimate authority is enough for me.

JS had to have had a hand in some of the blunders. Which ones? No clue. But the “loyal to a fault” theme has/had PC written all over it.

JS didn’t get fired though. Had ownership believed he was primarily responsible, this would’ve been great timing to let him walk as well.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It's extremely difficult to evaluate without knowing the details of who was responsible for what moves.

It does worry me though when the coaching staff was unable to figure out how to properly use Jimmy Graham or Jamal Adams after giving up major capital for them. It makes me think the coaches weren't the one driving the trade.
Agreed. We don't really know who was calling the shots. We find out this year.

renofox

Reaction score
JS needs to prove himself. If we see continuing idiotic moves similar to past years, the whole "PC was running the show" argument goes out the window.

If he begins his tenure by making the 'safe move' with an uninspiring choice for HC, he'll just be greasing the skids for his 2026-2027 departure.

If he focuses on building the lines and getting the cap in order, he'll show he's on the right track.

Jville

Reaction score
Pete and John were a heck of a combo .............

................................... law of averages suggests a bit of a fall off regardless of who is announced as the next Seahawks Head Coach.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The interesting piece is that during the drafts JS kept getting mentioned scouting certain QBs. All of whom turned into studs. At the time, they were ?s - so even if he does suck at almost everything else...his QB radar is amazing.
That alone would be reason to take the chance with him, even if he flames out - he probably flames out after delivering an all everything stud QB. Making it that much easier for the next guy.

We don't know what JS does well or doesn't do well, yet. But we do know he has a great record on finding QBs that prosper in the league, which is almost impossible to consistently do.

AND he is not Tim Ruskell, who should be hated by every Seahawk fan forever and maybe longer.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I really have no idea but if I’m guessing I think he’s really good at what he does. The league knows everyone very well and multiple reports have the league opinion of him as a top 5 GM. That means something. We’ve had leaks saying at least some of the questionable draft picks weren’t him but Pete going against the scouting department. Is it true? Who knows but my guess is yes. Then at his Press conference he said he is finally in charge of personnel and coaching which tells me he believes he can do better.

I still think they were a great team for the most part but John is going to show that he’s really great at what he does

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was going to say, but I'll add that he's also the one who discovered Russell Wilson.

Dude is a flat out All Pro QB savant. I suggest we listen to the man when he starts pining for the next one.

Sure there’s a lot more to it than the QB but hitting on a generational one is like the NFL equivalent of hitting Power Ball.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I really have no idea but if I’m guessing I think he’s really good at what he does. The league knows everyone very well and multiple reports have the league opinion of him as a top 5 GM. That means something. We’ve had leaks saying at least some of the questionable draft picks weren’t him but Pete going against the scouting department. Is it true? Who knows but my guess is yes. Then at his Press conference he said he is finally in charge of personnel and coaching which tells me he believes he can do better.

I still think they were a great team for the most part but John is going to show that he’s really great at what he does
Do you have a legit source for this? Otherwise, it's nothing more than a rumor with no basis whatsoever.

Mick063

Reaction score
Seahawks are fifty years old with one championship. Basically, a once in a lifetime event. For those of us that endured those fifty years, we are probably a bit more appreciative of him than folks that think championships happen about once per decade. I suppose an opinion is formed based upon what you are accustomed to.

Jac

Reaction score
The last two drafts have been great. Even if it doesn't prove amazing over the 3-5 year horizon (things happen), you can see the thought process. The Leonard Williams trade (from a value POV) was hugely disappointing, though. It's unclear how much of that was giving Carroll one more player he coveted to make his last run, though.

It's a really hard job to be great at, and much of it is out of your control. You can set the table, but it doesn't always play out as planned (particularly since other smart teams are setting their own tables to beat you). We'll obviously learn a lot this offseason as to how he plans to build the next version of this team.

xray

Reaction score
Imo , JS is unproven in being the real ' boss ' . It seems he's been the GM , in title only , for 14 years . Why is that ? Does he have the stones to be the new Hawks leader of men ? We'll see soon . GL Hawks !