The Rams are Tanking for the #1 Pick; BOOK IT!

flv2

Reaction score
One of the mods on the Bears forum makes a distinction between a “soft” tank and a “hard” tank. In a soft tank, you just get rid of expensive 2-3 veteran players’ contracts. In a hard tank, you replace 20+ starters, and replace them all with rookies and cheap free agents. You end up with the #1 pick in the draft and $100 million cap space. Poles did the hardest hard tank in NFL history.
The Rams are replacing 9 starters on defense. The Rams will likely have 23 defensive players on the 53-man roster for Week 1. There will be Aaron Donald and 22 players on rookie contracts or vet minimum wage. Donald is being paid $30M in 2022 and he will cost more than the other 22 combined. The defense will play hard but there will likely be multiple coverage mistakes that will result in big plays and/or TDs conceded, especially early in the season. In the games without big mistakes the Rams will be competitive.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The Rams are replacing 9 starters on defense. The Rams will likely have 23 defensive players on the 53-man roster for Week 1. There will be Aaron Donald and 22 players on rookie contracts or vet minimum wage. Donald is being paid $30M in 2022 and he will cost more than the other 22 combined. The defense will play hard but there will likely be multiple coverage mistakes that will result in big plays and/or TDs conceded, especially early in the season. In the games without big mistakes the Rams will be competitive.
Right. If Poles had this job, the first thing he’d do is trade Donald for a couple draft picks to clear cap space and get younger. However, keeping this offense in place may risk not getting in contention for the #1 draft pick.

flv2

Reaction score
Right. If Poles had this job, the first thing he’d do is trade Donald for a couple draft picks to clear cap space and get younger. However, keeping this offense in place may risk not getting in contention for the #1 draft pick.
I don't know enough about Poles to comment, and this thread isn't about him. Donald has a guaranteed contract through '24 with a no-trade clause, but if the team is doing badly, he wants to chase another ring, and a contending team comes in for him, then the Rams won't stand in his way. It's taken a long time for people to realise how weak the Rams will be in '23 in terms of playing talent and at this point they should be in the bottom 5 of Power Rankings. They could end up with the #1 pick if things go badly...but that's not the plan. This isn't the Texans or the Cardinals.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I don't know enough about Poles to comment, and this thread isn't about him. Donald has a guaranteed contract through '24 with a no-trade clause, but if the team is doing badly, he wants to chase another ring, and a contending team comes in for him, then the Rams won't stand in his way. It's taken a long time for people to realise how weak the Rams will be in '23 in terms of playing talent and at this point they should be in the bottom 5 of Power Rankings. They could end up with the #1 pick if things go badly...but that's not the plan. This isn't the Texans or the Cardinals.
They have made moves that will make them less competitive this year, but it is not a tank…..or at least not the most effective.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Can’t a Bear’s fan even get his own thread? Has to chatter in a Rams thread.

Kinda funny. Da Bears SUCK.
I do have my own thread “Bears Den”. I will resume putting most of my Bears talk there when regular season begins. I got interested in this thread because I am interested in tanking in general. Most of my knowledge is based on Bears 2022, which is certainly one of the most phenomenal tanks in history.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can’t a Bear’s fan even get his own thread? Has to chatter in a Rams thread.

Kinda funny. Da Bears SUCK.
On a Seahawks page.

Again, there is zero chance the Rams are tanking it. Come Sunday, we're going to see a team that has no thoughts of tanking or not bringing it 100 percent. I hate the Rams, but that's not in their DNA. They still have Donald and Stafford is back. And McVay is a hell of a coach. Yes, that hurt to say :)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
On a Seahawks page.

Again, there is zero chance the Rams are tanking it. Come Sunday, we're going to see a team that has no thoughts of tanking or not bringing it 100 percent. I hate the Rams, but that's not in their DNA. They still have Donald and Stafford is back. And McVay is a hell of a coach. Yes, that hurt to say :)
Exactly. Don't you ever underestimate the Rams or the 49ers. The Cardinals maybe but if they actually get Caleb and Marvin we better have someone way better then Geno really fast. The Rams never tank they hate the 49ers to ever do that we are a distraction to both of them still. Both of them are pretty much OG.

flv2

Reaction score
Nobody expected that 2nd half performance in Week 1. You could put the best team up against the worst team and never have a 251-3 differential in yardage. It was a freak outcome, but it shouldn't have happened.

Scout

Reaction score
The NFC is going to be a more competitive as it is wide open.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
You missed another prediction Fade
That was some tank lol
The Bears beat the 49ers in week 1 last year, still got the #1 pick.

The Rams are going 3-14.

The Seahawks might get the #2 pick though, as the Seahawks need to be incredible on offense to carry Hurttt and co. The offense looked underwhelming which is far more alarming.

Latest posts