The moment that took my breath away

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In yesterday's game against the Washington Football team, a play occurred that took my breath away, as I'm sure it did many of yours.

In the 2nd quarter, one of the Football Team's defensive lineman jumped offsides, and Wilson got the free play. In these situations, Wilson likes to (smartly) take a deep shot, because why not?

Then, it happened. That abomination of a field in Washington D.C. reared its ugly head again.
Wilson took a deep shot to DK Metcalf on the near sideline. The ball sailed to the back of the endzone, and Metcalf went up to get it like Superman.
He bumped the WFT defensive back in mid air, and his left leg just kind of stuck in the field, like a knife in a somewhat soft stick of butter, but not soft enough to get that slice of butter. You know what I'm talking about.

I thought that was the moment. I really feared that DK messed up his leg and we wouldn't see him again for a long time.
Then, he got up, and gingerly limped off the field.
He came back and played well for the rest of the game, finishing with 5 catches for 43 yards.

What did you guys think of that play?
Has anyone heard about Metcalf's leg after the game?

And, most importantly and the purpose behind my thread, how does the NFL still allow Washington to play on that awful field? It was a disaster by the end of regulation like always. They should be forced to get a roof or some field turf for crying out loud. We lost Clemons in the 2012 playoffs because of that field. RG3 had his career come to an end there basically. Something needs to be done! And hopefully Metcalf is OK.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I just look at the tv and said NOOOOOOO
That looked really bad. The fact that he came back to play was huge. But that right there could have been a disaster.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
TOTALLY cringed on the replay. Thought we lost him! For a couple minutes I was in another room and kept yelling back to my wife "DK OK?????" every 30 seconds for an update.

I mean, next man up and all that - but to lose our super-duper-megatron dude - that would have sucked.

I feel the same way about playing in Arizona. Not to jinx us with the upcoming relocated 49ers game there but we seem to lose someone to that turf too every game - although I don't have hard stats.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I posted about it in the game day thread. For awhile I was holding my breath and filled with dread! Thank goodness it was nothing too serious. That field needs to be totally removed.

pmedic920

Reaction score
To be completely honest, my testicular awareness jumped to level 1000, because they both jumped back into my abdominal cavity with such force that I almost tasted them.

Seriously, I was terrified, tried to make a post in the “GameDay” chat but couldn’t type due to the trembling of my fingers.

This kid, if the team treats him right, is going to be a playmaker for years to come. I believe that he has potential to be an “all time” great.

I was in fear for his season, and his future.
I now believe that his dedication to being “in shape” probably played a significant role in that not being an injury.

MrThortan

Reaction score
My first thought was, "Damn! Even DK's ankles are buff! That guy has muscles everywhere!"

Joke aside, I was certainly glad when he returned to the game.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":fm1muh77 said:
To be completely honest, my testicular awareness jumped to level 1000, because they both jumped back into my abdominal cavity with such force that I almost tasted them.

Seriously, I was terrified, tried to make a post in the “GameDay” chat but couldn’t type due to the trembling of my fingers.

My God man. The level of dedication for you to come back after that is astounding!

pmedic920

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1qexdmiq said:
pmedic920":1qexdmiq said:

My God man. The level of dedication for you to come back after that is astounding!

I attribute it to my own personal training regimen.

Being a Seahawk fan is not to be taken lightly and I certainly don’t.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2wna0zla said:
pmedic920":2wna0zla said:

I attribute it to my own personal training regimen.

Being a Seahawk fan is not to be taken lightly and I certainly don’t.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Looked like a classic hyperextension. I thought for sure he was done for the year. To say we dodged a bullet is a massive understatement.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
ddores":uxuyn8ww said:

I do find that interesting, it tells me pretty much all stadiums are the same but we elevate the ones that have had higher profile injuries.

I bet really what it comes down to is Turf or Grass, players get used to the characteristics of their home field/turf/grass and it really can cause injury when you're playing on something different. Bottomline, the NFL really shoudl just enforce all of them to use the same kind of turf, I say turf over grass because at least turf is something easier to maintain as more consistent on all the fields regardless of weather type. I mean as much as we all love to watch the field get ripped up and mud, etc....if the NFL is truly about safety of their players this is something that should be done so the players week after week can wear the same two types of cleats (wet or dry) and more importantly they will always know how slipper or not slippery that ground will be, what kind of bounce it's going to give, whether or not you can pivot your foot or slide on it without tearing your ACL or pulling a hamstring etc. etc.

As a fan, outdoor vs dome, I don't think it all needs to be the same it does add a HFA that is still relatively safe (so it's hot, rainy, windy, cold, snow, deal with it it's football). But the Grass/Field/Turf differences definitely are a factor in lower limb injuries. I've had my own scares just chasing around my 8 year old and playing backyard football on different field types myself, I can't imagine how different it is for NFL players who although much more limber than me are playing at a way higher level of athletics, speed and power.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wasn't the turf, DK got awkwardly discombobulated like a newborn giraffe.

He was probably a little sore the rest of the game, he had a hitch in his giddy up. No practice for him this week would probably be called for.