Tarkenton meets Wilson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
130112wilson600.jpg

“They call get the ‘It’ factor,” Tarkenton said. “There is an ‘It’ factor with Russell, and you see it right away.”
"Russell Wilson is rookie of the year."

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... Tarkenton-‘Russell-Wilson-is-Rookie-of-the-Year’/de40a446-15ad-47e1-ac82-0647db553162

chris98251

Reaction score
Well there goes that height thing again, Russell looks taller then Tark :)

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, don't old people shrink though? :)

chris98251

Reaction score
Well truth be told you can lose 3/4 to an inch of height as you age and disc's collapse etc if I remember correctly. But in this photo he's appearing taller so I thought I would mention it, besides who can say if Fran was a legit 6'0, they didn't micro manage stats like they do today in 61.

Reaction score
How cool is that! Growing up I was a Tarkenton fan when he was first drafted by the Vikings then when he played for the Giants. He had an uncanny sense of when he was about to be mauled by the defense then wiggle out of danger.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
They seem so similar in so many ways. It irks me when people compare Russ to Cam Newton or Mike Vick. He's not at all like them. He's very much like Tarkenton and Steve Young, but it's so much "easier" to compare him to the other guys for one reason.... cough cough.

He even has the same mannerisms as Fran on the field. Totally unflappable. I could never say that about Cam or Vick. NEVER.

The guys above even have the same smile, same size, same presence about them... even as he's aged Fran still has that "IT" about him. When he talks, I listen, because he's not a big time broadcaster anymore and only speaks up when he feels he needs to set somebody straight.

BASF

Reaction score
SharkHawk":efmiuap2 said:
They seem so similar in so many ways. It irks me when people compare Russ to Cam Newton or Mike Vick. He's not at all like them. He's very much like Tarkenton and Steve Young, but it's so much "easier" to compare him to the other guys for one reason.... cough cough.

Age? I know what you are implying, but the fact is that a lot of the younger crowd never saw Tarkenton play and were in grade school when Young was playing. It's been thirteen years since Steve Young retired. Yeah, I feel old now too.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
BASF":193qzm6l said:
SharkHawk":193qzm6l said:

Age? I know what you are implying, but the fact is that a lot of the younger crowd never saw Tarkenton play and were in grade school when Young was playing. It's been thirteen years since Steve Young retired. Yeah, I feel old now too.

But Russell Wilson is much more like contemporaries Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, and Drew Brees in how he plays. He moves around, creates time, and throws outside of the pocket.

So there's no excuse for lazy comparisons. If you want to compare him one-to-one to another guy, he's very much like Brees, and it's not because of the height thing. It is because he can roll out and has a freaking cannon. He's nothing like the other guys. If you want to compare him to a black QB of any generation, then he's a hell of a lot like Warren Moon.

Latest posts