Witherspoon NFL Rookie DPOM

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I would like to say water under the bridge and let bygones be bygones but the thing that pissed me off the most wasn’t the constant comparison to Carter but the fact that some posters were calling Witherspoon a bust or just a guy before he even played a snap similarly to Charbs. Like did you all even watch their tape?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Great CBs are worth more than great DTs. Not even sure how this was a debate.
MAYBE great edge rushers are worth more but not DTs.

BASF

Reaction score
Weird that the Jalen Carter talk has totally stopped huh?

View attachment 61575
The Carter talk stopped because the mods told us to stop and removed his mentions from Witherspoon threads when the whiners on the forum complained because it hurt their feelings. Now that Spoon is playing so well, let's bring up Carter because it now entertains the whiners. I will probably be reported now that the mods are looking for people to report dissenting opinions. This has become an interesting place.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Carter talk stopped because the mods told us to stop and removed his mentions from Witherspoon threads when the whiners on the forum complained because it hurt their feelings. Now that Spoon is playing so well, let's bring up Carter because it now entertains the whiners. I will probably be reported now that the mods are looking for people to report dissenting opinions. This has become an interesting place.

Really? Lol, that seems like a weird flex for mods to jump on.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Zero issues with passing on Carter because of his red flags regardless of how he turns out. Witherspoon would've been my pick over Carter too if I wasn't going QB. Witherspoon might be my favorite current player here soon.

Rat

Reaction score
Excellent!

The guy who won it for the first month (Christian Gonzalez) is our for the year, so Spoon should be well in the driver's seat for DROY.

rcaido

Reaction score
Excellent!

The guy who won it for the first month (Christian Gonzalez) is our for the year, so Spoon should be well in the driver's seat for DROY.
What about Carter? Isn't he like the #1 rated? Add in Eagles east coast bias. Good story. I think he wins it if Eagles keeps winning.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
What about Carter? Isn't he like the #1 rated? Add in Eagles east coast bias. Good story. I think he wins it if Eagles keeps winning.
I believe he has tailed off a little, although his pressure numbers and win rate are insane. The Eagles being 8-1 helps him. Barnwell at ESPN had Spoon as his DROY for the first half, while on NFL.com, he lost 18-7 to Carter among the 27 people they had voting. Will Anderson and Brian Branch got one vote apiece.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
I believe he has tailed off a little, although his pressure numbers and win rate are insane. The Eagles being 8-1 helps him.
I think sportsbetting has Carter at number 1 odds -200 fav & Spoon at 2nd +200. No one even close after that. Brian Branch is the next +2400.

Rat

Reaction score
I believe Carter has two games against the Giants left too. Teams are racking up ridiculous counting stats on them.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Dugar had a nice article today in The Athletic about why he thinks Spoon will win DROY...

Witherspoon, the No. 5 pick in the draft, has the second-best odds (+300) to win Defensive Rookie of the Year behind Philadelphia defensive tackle Jalen Carter (-300). Detroit Lions defensive back Brian Branch, Houston Texans defensive end Will Anderson Jr. and Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Tuli Tuipulotu are also in the mix.

Witherspoon was the NFC Defensive Player of the Week in Week 4 and the Defensive Rookie of the Month in October. He has 39 total tackles, two sacks, an interception returned for a touchdown and nine total passes defensed, which leads all rookies and is tied for sixth among all defenders. Witherspoon has 16 “splash” plays, which are plays that result in any of the following: a turnover, sack, tackle for loss or no gain, stop on third or fourth down, pass defensed or pressure leading to a throwaway.

Witherspoon is in a four-way tie among rookies in splash plays along with New York Giants cornerback Deonte Banks, Texans linebacker Henry To’oTo’o and Rams edge rusher Byron Young. That’s not the only stat worth using when assessing defensive players, but it’s an interesting one that can help measure players at different spots.

What’s going to continue to work in Witherspoon’s favor is his ability to play outside cornerback and slide over to nickel, a spot that has more responsibilities against the run and pass. Whereas defensive linemen can be double-teamed and outside cornerbacks can be avoided (unless they’re in man-heavy schemes), it’s hard to keep Witherspoon away from the ball when he can rush the passer, make tackles in the run game and guard everyone from running backs in the flat to tight ends over the middle and wide receivers deep down the field. Seattle’s scheme puts him in position to make plays, and that’s going to help him when it’s time to vote.

Another, albeit less significant, factor: Witherspoon makes plays that garner national attention. On top of his accolades, Witherspoon has a pick six on “Monday Night Football” and a big tackle on Rondale Moore that went viral. It’s a small variable, but if Witherspoon continues to have those impact plays, particularly in prime time, it’ll help his chances.

BASF

Reaction score
I think our jump in the defensive rankings will help him quite a bit if we can show the Ravens game to be an aberration. As much as Woolen deserved rookie of the year last season, the Jets vast improvement going from last in points and yards allowed to fourth in both helped Sauce ( who was their face for the media) win the vote.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score

I don’t know if I should be offended that you don’t read every post I make or let it slide since you’ve been packing and moving?

Seriously though I don’t think we can have too many positive posts on this board especially after a loss like this. So kudos

JPatera76

Reaction score

I don’t know if I should be offended that you don’t read every post I make or let it slide since you’ve been packing and moving?

Seriously though I don’t think we can have too many positive posts on this board especially after a loss like this. So kudos
😂😂 I got you. 😉