Is this real life? (A too-early mock, 3 rounds)

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
We are so lucky to have some great draft choices coming up. I would go with Jalen Carter if we can get him...but after that I agree with many of the suggested choices. This draft seems weak for linebackers, which we really need (free agent?), but we also need safety depth and a fast and durable wide receiver would be a great addition too.

Not so sure we need a high draft choice center, after what Blythe has shown so far. He was also a state champion wrestler in college, so he knows how to leverage bigger opponents.

Penix seems like he would be an excellent choice for development and would be a local favorite. I assume we will re-sign Geno and hope we will retain Lock as well.

OK, I'll say it...GO HAWKS!!!

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Bears also need defensive difference makers, so I can't see why they'd trade down if a generation game wrecker like Carter is sitting at 2.

But like I said I'd be happy with Carter or Anderson.
I agree. A lot depends on the draft ordering. If Poles can trade down just a couple spots and still get Carter or Alexander, I’d vote for that. The other possibility is that the Colts or somebody outside the top-10 offers a monster trade up for a QB.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Bears are capable of beating the Lions, but even if they lose all remaining games, it is still possible that he trades down, leaving Carter available to Seahawks. It depends on how much the potential trade partners value the QBs not drafted by the Texans. It’s a big price to pay for an “iffy” QB prospect. Trubisky, Lance should be fresh in mind. It’s great if you “hit”, but the franchise suffers for years if you miss.

We Bears fans have decades of experience prior to Fields!
Agree. I wouldn’t consider Young or Stroud to be franchise type of QBs with good coaching either can become solid players. If you fail with drafting a QB high it will set back your franchise at least 3 years

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Agree. I wouldn’t consider Young or Stroud to be franchise type of QBs with good coaching either can become solid players. If you fail with drafting a QB high it will set back your franchise at least 3 years

Here is Rashee Rice's highlights...

More info on him, he is 6'2" 203 lbs.

Yeah, I watched that video. He can go deep, jump, good hands. It really doesn't show whether he has a full route tree. Does he have the skills to get quick separation on shorter routes? I cannot tell from this video.

What is the chance he will still be on the board in the second half of the second round? It seems once you get beyond Johnston and Addison, the evaluations on the rest of this WR draft class are all over he map.

Chevy

Reaction score
Yeah, I watched that video. He can go deep, jump, good hands. It really doesn't show whether he has a full route tree. Does he have the skills to get quick separation on shorter routes? I cannot tell from this video.

What is the chance he will still be on the board in the second half of the second round? It seems once you get beyond Johnston and Addison, the evaluations on the rest of this WR draft class are all over he map.
Why are you asking me? I didn't post this mock. I provided this highlight because the original poster did not provide highlights for anyone. I have provided a lot of mocks with highlights, but this WR is not a guy I have seen or shared. I was trying to help the original mock for Seahawk fans.
I have my initial thoughts off the highlights.

It's way too early to say where some of the players are going to be drafted. The senior bowl and NFL combine will help weed out the prospects. Making judgements off just highlights is amateur. Although it does help to focus on maybe what a player's ceiling is.

You've got a lot of questions...You need to do your homework on prospects! We draftniks can't babysit questions on 300 prospects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

He has a decently full route tree, yeah. Velcro hands, too. He's gonna test well. Led nation in receiving yards.

I think he's going to end up in the first, but Tee Higgins range in the early second is definitely plausible. Still too far out to really tell.

Ozzy

Reaction score
People are going to lose their mind when John drafts his QB with that first pick. If you hit though like a burrow, Herbert, Tua, hurts etc you also set yourself up for a decade. Just depends on how he views them.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
People are going to lose their mind when John drafts his QB with that first pick. If you hit though like a burrow, Herbert, Tua, hurts etc you also set yourself up for a decade. Just depends on how he views them.

I don't see any of those guys as the jam, but I didn't think Mahomes would be either, and John had him pegged.

If John wants one of those guys bad enough to pass up on a blue chip, I have no choice but to trust him considering his overall track record with quarterbacks.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't see any of those guys as the jam, but I didn't think Mahomes would be either, and John had him pegged.

If John wants one of those guys bad enough to pass up on a blue chip, I have no choice but to trust him considering his overall track record with quarterbacks.
That’s kind of where I’m at. Carter makes the most sense and I’m terrible at predicting QBs so if he likes one well enough to take over someone who fills a massive need I would trust him, it’s going to be a fascinating draft

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
None of the QBs in this draft compare to Burrow or Herbert, Tua and Hurts were considered a poor choices until a good offensive coach came along. there is probably 5 stud QBs in the NFL all of the rest are products of the system. It is much easier to build your defense and o line. Considering how bad the defense is now I can't see PC/JS picking a QB before the 3rd rd. One QB I wouldn't be surprised being drafter is Maxx Duggan of TCU, after watching him in the Big 12 championship game he was very driven after that i did some research and he falls into the "chip on your shoulder" category. The negatives i see is his arm strength being just adequate and accuracy due to poor footwork. I am expecting Duggan to be a 5th-7th rd pick

Given a choice between Carter and Anderson I would choose Carter due to the depth of DTs in the draft not being great and Edge is deep. IMO Anderson is over rated from what I have seen with Anderson once a OT engages him he doesn't have any moves he is straight ahead or just stops

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
I am finding the Lions s eager trade partners. I just did this today....and before starting draft...I offered Det. #2 and #17 for #4 + #16 + #46 and they rejected , then started draft and when Sea. was on clock Det , came with first trade offer... #4 + #15 + #46 + 2024 1ST, for Hawks #2 and #47...I accepted....Det. then came in wanting #15 & #181 for #47 , #60 , #78 and 2024 2nd rounder. I accepted since I was just doing a 3 round mock. I also moved up to #29 with Vikes giving #34 and #81....these are the selections I feel DL needs a overhaul...and Carter and Ika will free up EDGE rushers

Attachments

• trade.jpg
    trade.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1st round.jpg
    1st round.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I hate this defense. With every fiber of my soul.

These picks need to be attitude picks. I'm out on QB, OL, WR... anything that doesn't further their goal of imposing their will on defense. This is embarrassing.

I stand behind Skinner being important and I'm honed in on him. I don't care. He hits.

Chevy

Reaction score

These picks need to be attitude picks. I'm out on QB, OL, WR... anything that doesn't further their goal of imposing their will on defense. This is embarrassing.

I stand behind Skinner being important and I'm honed in on him. I don't care. He hits.
At the beginning of the season I was excited of switching to the 3-4 defense...Now I'm done with it! Teams run up the middle on us and we are basically a speed bump at best. Which may be forgivable if we had a dominate pass rush, but of course we don't. Best or worst of both defensive worlds.

I want to go back to the 4-3 defense, which we were a little better at against the run. If we double down on the 3-4 defense next year, then I feel like it will be more of the same.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
At the beginning of the season I was excited of switching to the 3-4 defense...Now I'm done with it! Teams run up the middle on us and we are basically a speed bump at best. Which may be forgivable if we had a dominate pass rush, but of course we don't. Best or worst of both defensive worlds.

I want to go back to the 4-3 defense, which we were a little better at against the run. If we double down on the 3-4 defense next year, then I feel like it will be more of the same.
I was excited to see them continue what looked like it'd be a natural transition. Instead, they morphed into a defense with no identity and no willpower to boot. It's nauseating to watch.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

Since I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy, the silver lining here is that DL and edge appear to be the strengths of the upcoming draft.

I was disappointed not to see more draft investment in the front 7 last year (disappointed may be an understatement, my daughter referred to my reaction as a hissy fit). I'm an advocate for drafting DL every year to keep the position group deep. Maybe JS/PC knew they could get more bang for their picks going o-line last year and heavy on the front 7 in the upcoming draft.

I mentioned before the season started that I thought we were a little weak in the trenches. I was not nearly as high on Poona, Moone, and Harris as others were. I may have been blasted for it. I am feeling vindicated.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like Skinner, but he leads with his helmet way too much. There's something about him that gives me Marquise Blair vibes in that his game won't translate to the NFL and injuries will be the result from him trying to adjust.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I am finding the Lions s eager trade partners. I just did this today....and before starting draft...I offered Det. #2 and #17 for #4 + #16 + #46 and they rejected , then started draft and when Sea. was on clock Det , came with first trade offer... #4 + #15 + #46 + 2024 1ST, for Hawks #2 and #47...I accepted....Det. then came in wanting #15 & #181 for #47 , #60 , #78 and 2024 2nd rounder. I accepted since I was just doing a 3 round mock. I also moved up to #29 with Vikes giving #34 and #81....these are the selections I feel DL needs a overhaul...and Carter and Ika will free up EDGE rushers
I had the same thing happen w Detroit. I traded down again. Addicting little site. I hv 2 picks in the teens ( and future firsts). I get Verse, Kancey in the first then Ika and Carter in the 2nd. Would love if that’s how it played out on

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I like Skinner, but he leads with his helmet way too much. There's something about him that gives me Marquise Blair vibes in that his game won't translate to the NFL and injuries will be the result from him trying to adjust.

I love it, honestly. He's way bigger than Blair and also has an innate "pop" when he hits. Rather reel his technique in than take another low energy type of guy.

Blair's play wasn't effortlessly energetic like Skinner, and Skinner is also longer with 25 pounds more muscle on him.

I gotta have him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love it, honestly. He's way bigger than Blair and also has an innate "pop" when he hits. Rather reel his technique in than take another low energy type of guy.

Blair's play wasn't effortlessly energetic like Skinner, and Skinner is also longer with 25 pounds more muscle on him.

I gotta have him.
"He's Gotta Have Him!" Appreciate your posts, especially your mocks. I'll watch some more on him...maybe you'll make me a believer.

I posted a video of Mazi Smith hopping up stairs somewhere here, and I'd really like to have him, maybe in the 3rd.

But most importantly, I want a damaging 3-Tech that can bat passes, and push the pocket in the middle of the QBs face! Bill Walsh said that they are one of the most valuable players on defense. Andy Reid is a Bill Walsh disciple, and he fleeced Seattle by trading up for Fletcher Cox who continues to cause havoc for Philadelphia. I love Bruce Irvin, but hindsight...

Also, about as soon and Andy Reid got to Kansas City, he drafted Chris Jones who is a 2022 DPOY candidate.

So my thinking is Jalen Carter, or if someone offers them a King's Ransom for their Top 5 pick, maybe one of those 6'6" or 6'7" players available in the draft. Then draft Drake Maye in 2024.

Chris Jones Is a Defensive Player of the Year Candidate

Chris Jones has been the Chiefs' best defender for years, but is it time for him to earn the ultimate accolade?

However, Jones is doing what Donald did every year he won the award. He is the highest-graded defensive player in the league, according to Pro Football Focus.

Though PFF has flaws and shouldn't be used as the end-all-be-all, it has become increasingly popular with the mainstream media and award voters alike.