Should we begin to wonder if Russell's height is a problem?

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":3bagpbvc said:
I wanted Russell drafted by the Hawks because I didn't think his height was a problem and I know we have put this to rest for awhile now but his recent struggles are getting that bad thought in my head again.Have defenses started to use his lack of height against him, is he not being effective in the passing game because teams are playing him in a way were he can't see his receivers and do ya think their is a bit of doubt by him in his own game right now?, if you feel so, how do you think he will counter it? Maybe the struggles have nothing to do with his height but what do ya think? Has he hit a ceiling?

Without question his height limits him. But there's so many other things he can do that makes up for it. When he does those things, that is.

Asking him to play tall and run an offense ala Brady or Manning will rob him of greatness. I know someone wants to throw the name Brees at me...please don't. Wilson's passing, awareness and presence is not close to that of Drew Brees at this time. And why would it be? He's a 2nd year man. Drew Brees wasn't Drew Brees in his sophomore year, either. Wilson will continue to grow...but he won't grow any taller. He just needs to regain his confidence and start letting the ball fly along with some well timed, safe runs. Like he did all day last year.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
This just in: Dan McGwire is noticably taller than Russell. And he's just sitting on his couch right now.

themunn

Reaction score
His height only becomes a a hindrance when the O-Line collapses and he has no escape from the pocket. Then his throwing lanes close up and he can't find a receiver. Taller QBs can sometimes get the ball out in this situation.

However, that doesn't make his height a problem or issue, that's an offensive line issue

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
HawkWow":lrtp83tl said:
No shit? Do you mean he's taller than Russ even when sitting down?

I'm afraid so. He's got excellent armchair vision. And, I mean, you should see him toss the football through his backyard tire swing. Still got it!

Bryce84

Reaction score
xCalibur":3bttylmf said:
the problem with our offense of late is that we have no true number one wr...with Rice out and what seems to be always hurt...we have no big wr with speed that can help spread out the defenses and keep them honest. Baldwin and Tate are both very small. Harvin has been a waste and a disappointment. I will be looking closely to see what we do in the off season to fix this one glaring problem we have...will we resign Rice with his over priced contract or let him go. Will we give Harvin another year to prove he can play more then a couple games...and also, Tate will be needing a new contract.....As far as Kearse...while he has made some big plays...he is inconsistant and no number one or even a number two...i think he goes if we trade or draft a real number one WR....Baldwin is clutch and we cannot ever let him go in FA....So no....the problems have not been Wilson, it is oout Wr corps and the defenses we have played.

So tired of reading stuff like this. Harvin is one of the best WRs in the game and probably the most versatile playmaker in the game. You can't predict serious injuries like the one he sustained before the season even started. He does have the "injury prone" label and I can't refute that, he is on the injury report often, however he still tends to play. This is the first SERIOUS injury he's sustained in his NFL career. He's put in a lot of work just to even have the capability of playing right now, give him some slack. You're delirious if you think there's even a shred of a chance the front office has had cutting or trading him enter their mind.

I understand we have a poor history of bringing in WRs that live up to their contracts (oh look, there's one still on our roster: Sidney Rice), but Harvin has looked dynamic in what little he's had a chance to play, and he's got another 5 years (hopefully more) as a Seahawk. Give it a rest.

More on the topic, his height does limit him but its not something he hasn't dealt with for many years and learned how to manage it. Hopefully we'll draft a big target for him early this year to help round out this receiving core so he doesn't have to throw jump balls to the shorter WRs like Tate and Baldwin. Even though they've come down with a really high percentage of those considering their height.

skater18000

Reaction score
If he wins us a superbowl, who cares. If Russell wins us a superbowl he will have already surpassed everyone in our franchises history for doing so... (largent's right us there)

birdman5

Reaction score
I think his performance can be a little hit and miss as long as his opportunities are so few. It's hard for any QB to get in any sort of rhythm throwing so few times in a game. I'm not suggesting any sort of change in the run/pass ratio but I think a side effect is some QB inconsistency.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I've been really critical of RW coming into this game...but yea this stuff gets old.

Does his height affect him? Of course it does to a certain extent. Short stuff over the middle is and will always be difficult for any shorter QB. For every other play, no it doesn't. Yes, he misses open guys, but so does every other QB not named Manning. That's not because of his height that's because he is still young/inexperienced with seeing the whole field.

Outside of a few bone headed plays, I thought RW was really good and way more confident with stick throws against SF, than he has been in a long time.

Honestly, I expect him to go bananas in the Super Bowl. The stage is not too big. The pressure is on Manning. Denver doesn't have a bad defense, but this is like a hitter in baseball having faced Kershaw, Strasburg, and Felix, now they get a chance to go 4 for 5 against the #4 starter. Relatively speaking, this is nowhere near as difficult as SF and an underrated NO defense (to go along with AZ, STL).

Shock2k

Reaction score
Man OP got hammered. Look the question OP I think you are trying to ask is. What's wrong with Russell right now, is it is height?

Sure he has definite disadvantages due to height, but nothing that should concern you to the point he is getting "exposed.".

They have literally shut down his running. Almost a fanatical "DO NOT RUN" posted on his forehead. What does that do? It takes a huge part of a game away from him. A part of "the game" that gets taken away from all QB's who RB eventually. They just moved up the schedule by about 2 years. He's learning to be a pocket only passer, behind a not so good line (be it talent or scheme) and he's getting killed for it.

Further I would say there is another fanatical "DO NOT THROW AN INTERCEPTION". Which is the only thing, to me, that explains the hesitancy that now is part of Russell's game.

Beyond this a lot of arguments will be made about offensive "creativity" which I really can't comment on.

I get it though, it makes me worried to. BUT. You just can't argue with the results, we are headed to the Super Bowl. And honestly, are probably going to win the Super Bowl.

Have no doubt though, we are the 2000 Ravens with a Trent Dilfer pass game. Russell is never going to get the respect now outside of this fanbase, until he turns into an efficient pocket passer. (I think I know now why Dilfer is so pissed off all the time)

I actually had a large post attempting to make the argument for Russell as League MVP, but decided to wait to post it until after the SF Away game. The wheels seemed to just come off after that (though, holy crap, look at those defenses we played).

ManBunts

Reaction score
I think people are forgetting a few things when they knock Russell and our offense and issues they've had. Because let's be honest, their have been missed reads, missed blocks, etc. But guess what, this is the playoffs. No team in here is even closed to bad. Saints and 49ers, both top 5 defenses. Wanna go further back? People say we had a bit of a skid the last 5 regular season games. Rams, Cardinals, Giants, 49ers, Saints? All top 10 defenses EXCEPT the Giants, oh and we shut them out.

But when it's all said and done, there will always be flaws, and we can find them. Or we can realize that without Harvin, and half the season without Rice, most the season with a patchwork O-line, the first part of the season without Irvin or Clemons, we've won. Consistently. Our team is damn good and deserves respect because from the starters to the third string guys, they've worked their butts off and got the job done when it matters. If you think they're gonna stop now when it comes to the Super Bowl, you're dead wrong. Leavin' it all on the field.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My IQ drops with these kinds of OP threads.

Happy

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1t76ci2e said:
I mean, maybe if he were taller, he could have gotten us to the Super Bowl in fewer games this year...

Yea exactly. These seahawks, they're really falling *short* of my expectations.

drdiags

Reaction score
I figure this type of OP would show up **after** the Superbowl if the team lost. Guess this is an attempt to get the ball rolling early?

Next we will probably see one asking if the NFL has figured out Pete and is he over-rated? Just a natural progression of things. :sarcasm_off:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I just hope he will eventually develop the skill/confidence to want to step up into the pocket and look to scramble forwards rather than scramble backwards. But he does so many things so well for a second year QB. We have nothing to complain about.