Should Russel Wilson take Tom Brady like deal? (Times)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":22mnxjor said:
I have this reoccurring dream.

RW plays football @ 1 million per year but makes 50 million per year as Thee Microsoft spokesman.

For real.
:{)

I don't think the player's association would even allow this, and that's really what drives new deals, especially for the top tier players...........they're pressured heavily to go after max deals that push the market up for everyone else.

Of course the owners would love what you're talking about, low salaries and backroom endorsement deals to make up the difference.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a fanciful thread.

Ain't gonna happen! He'll be paid in range of $30-35 mil/yr. Crazy market paying crazy stupid money. Make me think I should have practiced throwing the football more.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And he shouldn't be expected to take less money. He's the next guy up, he'll get the next huge deal. He is no different than anyone else when it comes to wanting and getting a big contract. It doesn't make him less of a team guy, and expecting him to take less when he just turned 30 is just not realistic.

kobebryant

Reaction score
No he shouldn't. QBs are underpaid relative to their value to the industry.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, i don't think he will take less either. Nor should he. It's nice to hope as a fan, though.

I want the Hawks to keep Wilson and win multiple super bowls, but if the formula is to have an affordable QB while paying for Defensive stars, how do we? Especially if our offense is built upon ball control and running backs...

naholmes

Reaction score
A-Dog":2j08jyea said:
On September 10, 2010, Brady signed a four-year, $72 million contract extension, making him the highest-paid player in the NFL.

2010 was Brady's 11th NFL season. Next year will be Russ' 9th. Russ can sign one more big deal (something like 5 more years) before taking a reduced salary and he'd be on par with Brady.
That’s a great point! I don’t expect Russ to accept less than market value on his 3rd deal (especially since his 1st one was way below market value). Make him the highest paid player on another back loaded 5 year. In the middle of that contract they could restructure and add some below market years and Russ is still following the Brady model.

chris98251

Reaction score
If Russell wants to stay and as he said own a NFL franchise someday he has to understand the economics, on the other hand why would he want to follow Brady's footsteps ? Giselle much more offsets any loss then Ciara can or probably ever will. Wilsons endorsements may give him some other security and those also follow a player better that remains with a Franchise he is identified with.

I really think it comes down to how well his other ventures are doing and his love of the game, I don't expect discounts really as much as flexibility in his contracts that are friendly to the Seahawks.

naholmes

Reaction score
Why would he want to follow Brady? Longevity. I don’t think Brady is forgoing this money just to win for winnings sake. Sure that’s part of it but winning also ensures job security. If the Patriots weren’t winning all these Super Bowls would Kraft have stuck with a 40 year old Brady and forced the trade of Jimmy G? Brady can recoup the money he’s given up in prior contracts if he can play two extra seasons but he has to have a strong team around that to be given the opportunity.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Much better analysis, here:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-russel ... -is-coming

Unless the Seahawks were willing to top those numbers and offer Wilson $36-38m per year on a long extension, why would he sign? He’d be getting $67m for two years work. Remember, his existing contract only contained $61.5m in total guarantees.

A third year on the tag would cost $43m. Under the current cap that wouldn’t be manageable. Who knows where the NFL will be in 2022? At the moment, however, that would likely be the point where Wilson tests the market. Just as Cousins did.

The Seahawks have no leverage in these talks. The only card they can play is an appreciation for Wilson, familiarity and the success they’ve so far enjoyed together. With tens of millions at stake that doesn’t seem sufficient.

Wilson and Rodgers can turn to the Seahawks and lay out three numbers: $30m, $36m, $43m. Annual figures all guaranteed with three franchise tags.

There’s simply no serious incentive for Wilson to take anything Seattle offers that doesn’t compare favourably to what he can get, fully guaranteed, under the tag. It’s not just the cap hit we’re talking about here. Three franchise tags equals about $110m fully guaranteed for three extra seasons.

Hawk593

Reaction score
I would like to see him take less $ to help build the team and his current wage is more than enough to live a very high standard of life style, however, I can't knock a block for earning as much as he can as quick as he can in a sport like football. One tackle at any point could end his career, but this is the same for pretty much every player.

Would show good commitment to the franchise if he did do this though. As someone else has already stated, more Super Bowl wins would probably bring in the short fall in other advertising deals.

But that is my pennies worth!

soxhawk

Reaction score
What if Russell doesn't even want to stay here? What if he wants to maximize his value in a big market like NYC or a proven dynasty in NE? (Shudder to think)

knownone

Reaction score
nanomoz":3lzzaiq2 said:
Much better analysis, here:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-russel ... -is-coming

Unless the Seahawks were willing to top those numbers and offer Wilson $36-38m per year on a long extension, why would he sign? He’d be getting $67m for two years work. Remember, his existing contract only contained $61.5m in total guarantees.

A third year on the tag would cost $43m. Under the current cap that wouldn’t be manageable. Who knows where the NFL will be in 2022? At the moment, however, that would likely be the point where Wilson tests the market. Just as Cousins did.

The Seahawks have no leverage in these talks. The only card they can play is an appreciation for Wilson, familiarity and the success they’ve so far enjoyed together. With tens of millions at stake that doesn’t seem sufficient.

Wilson and Rodgers can turn to the Seahawks and lay out three numbers: $30m, $36m, $43m. Annual figures all guaranteed with three franchise tags.

There’s simply no serious incentive for Wilson to take anything Seattle offers that doesn’t compare favourably to what he can get, fully guaranteed, under the tag. It’s not just the cap hit we’re talking about here. Three franchise tags equals about $110m fully guaranteed for three extra seasons.
The idea that the Seahawks have no leverage is kind of silly. It’s a massive risk for Russell to play on the franchise tag for 3 years, he’ll be damn near 35 by that point and who knows how effective he’ll be as he starts to slow down physically.

People are focusing too heavily on what Russell stands to gain from playing the franchise tag game while ignoring the all of the downsides.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
soxhawk":2gc3r0s4 said:
What if Russell doesn't even want to stay here? What if he wants to maximize his value in a big market like NYC or a proven dynasty in NE? (Shudder to think)
Then it's time to trade him for max value in return.

LegionHawk12

Reaction score
They will have to get creative if they are going to offer Wilson less. Here are some thoughts.... what does Seattle have to offer that would sweeten a deal? Wilson wants the Sonics to come back to Seattle. He also wants a baseball team in Portland. The man wants to establish himself in the Northwest. Wilson also wants to be part owner of either or both teams. Maybe his football contract would also put into legal writing that Gates or Paul Allen's trust fund would contribute to either of his dreams. Afterall, Paul Allen (now his trust) also is the owner of the Portland Blazers. If there is some kind of verbal agreement or something written as a legal document making either deal happen, I think this is what can sweeten the deal. That being said, Wilson wants a pretty penny so he can also be an owner of a team which doesnt come cheap. If he truly believes he will be the best QB of all time... he has to understand he has to make a choice to take the money or be willing to take less for the talent around him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LegionHawk12":2ltq5k55 said:
They will have to get creative if they are going to offer Wilson less. Here are some thoughts.... what does Seattle have to offer that would sweeten a deal? Wilson wants the Sonics to come back to Seattle. He also wants a baseball team in Portland. The man wants to establish himself in the Northwest. Wilson also wants to be part owner of either or both teams. Maybe his football contract would also put into legal writing that Gates or Paul Allen's trust fund would contribute to either of his dreams. Afterall, Paul Allen (now his trust) also is the owner of the Portland Blazers. If there is some kind of verbal agreement or something written as a legal document making either deal happen, I think this is what can sweeten the deal. That being said, Wilson wants a pretty penny so he can also be an owner of a team which doesnt come cheap. If he truly believes he will be the best QB of all time... he has to understand he has to make a choice to take the money or be willing to take less for the talent around him.

Teams are not allowed to collude or bypass salary cap structure by involving outside compensation as part of a player's contract.

Obviously Russell and every player is free to sign endorsement deals, and own anything they want to own outside of the NFL's shield.

So no, Allen's estate or the Seahawks cannot offer Russell or facilitate a deal for some future stake in a Portland franchise or anything like that in lieu of contract money on the team.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Russell has stated he wants to own a sports team, so we will see how his desire to leave a good legacy on the field plays into his desire for lots of $$$. I would bet more on his guaranteed money being higher than normal, with Mark Rogers the baseball agent as his negotiator.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russell Wilson should take whatever he can get. That is just the nature of the game. Will it affect his chances of winning another Super Bowl? Absolutely. That being said, every player in the NFL is a brand, a business unto themselves. They have a limited amount of time to shine brightly, and so long as the player isn't being unreasonable, I'm fine with them taking what they can get.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If I was an NFL QB, I would play for free. Then I'd set up a donation fund where people can give me money if they like the way I play. If I was elite I bet I would make more in donations than I would have gotten in salary.