Plan A/B at QB (my personal take)

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I know the season isn't even over yet, but I think I've settled on which QB I hope Seattle takes, and the QB I hope they pick in case they miss out.

Plan A, in my mind, is Michael Penix. I think he'll transition to the pros fairly well. He's got experience, can make any throw, makes NFL throws often (not just a bunch of throws behind the LOS), has deadly accuracy, comes up clutch in big moments, and has all the character traits you'd want in someone who's gonna lead your team.

Plus, he's turned himself into a local legend. Seriously, when was the last time the Seahawks were in a position to take a franchise QB from down the street? Have they ever been? This pick would get the fan base going. Plus, we could brag to everyone that our QB has Big Penix Energy! :ROFLMAO: (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Anyways, onto plan B. If they are unfortunate enough to miss out on Penix, and decide to forego taking a QB in the 1st round, then the only other guy I would hope they take is Jordan Travis. He's a guy that's unfortunately (for him) gonna fall in the draft because of injury. How far? I'm not exactly sure. But I believe he has 2nd round talent, but he's now projected to go in the 3rd/4th. His arm & accuracy aren't up to Penix's level, but he's more than sufficient in both categories, he's also commanded a lot of respect from his teammates, coaches, and fans, and he's a bit like peak Wilson with his legs. I believe his skillset would mesh well with the Seahawks, I think he can be a quality NFL starter.

Sorry if it seems like my opinions on the QB class is all over the place, I've been up & down on different QB's lately, but that's what happens when I spend a lot of my time going over all the QB's multiple times, sometimes I come around on a guy I wasn't high on at first, other times I agree with the critical takes on the QB's I was high on.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, this has been building up in my mind for a while, needed to get it out there.

TL;DR - Michael Penix is plan A, Jordan Travis is plan B

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jordan Travis feels like he'll be a really good backup at the minimum, with some upside to be more with time to develop. Might be able to get him in the fourth or fifth with his injury, which hopefully isn't a permanent red flag.

OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Jordan Travis feels like he'll be a really good backup at the minimum, with some upside to be more with time to develop. Might be able to get him in the fourth or fifth with his injury, which hopefully isn't a permanent red flag.
I think if he sat behind a vet for a few games, that could help him reach his potential. My gut tells me he'd be too good to be a backup, but I can't say with certainty that he'd be a top 5 QB either.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I think Penix could realistically be had on day two of the draft.

If I had to guess, Jordan Travis will probably be viewed as a career backup. Definitely more of a late round guy. The injury is also really unfortunate.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I thought Penix would be a first rounder but because of his age and a couple of much younger guys rising up the ranks I do think Penix will probably be had on day 2.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
What is the issue with his age? I feel like him being older would mean he's more mature, experienced, etc, and therefore will transition to life in the NFL easier.

He will only be 24 by the time he's in the NFL. QBs are in their prime until about their mid 30s. Are NFL front offices really that concerned about having a QB that can play 12 years or more in the NFL? 10 years isn't long enough?

I have a hard time believing that any front office is concerned about 10 years down the road considering that it's a "win now or get fired" type of league.

If you can even get 6 good years out of a QB, that's a huge win and you have to take that over a QB you don't think is going to be as good, but may be able to play a couple extra years.

OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
What is the issue with his age? I feel like him being older would mean he's more mature, experienced, etc, and therefore will transition to life in the NFL easier.

He will only be 24 by the time he's in the NFL. QBs are in their prime until about their mid 30s. Are NFL front offices really that concerned about having a QB that can play 12 years or more in the NFL? 10 years isn't long enough?

I have a hard time believing that any front office is concerned about 10 years down the road considering that it's a "win now or get fired" type of league.

If you can even get 6 good years out of a QB, that's a huge win and you have to take that over a QB you don't think is going to be as good, but may be able to play a couple extra years.
If Seattle took Penix in the 1st & got 10 good years out of him, I'd say that's a good trade-off. We're talking about 2034 being the next time we'd have to worry about Seattle drafting a franchise QB, it's an easy decision.

CPHawk

Reaction score
If we take Penix, we are stuck with him even when he is mid. All the husky fans will convince themselves he just needs another year.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If we take Penix, we are stuck with him even when he is mid. All the husky fans will convince themselves he just needs another year.

This would mean that Pete and/or the front office does not understand the concept of a sunk cost, and should be fired immediately.

If Penix winds up being mediocre, bench his ass and give somebody else a chance.

I don't know enough about scouting to know who is going to make it in the NFL as a QB. Hell, most QBs drafted in the first round wind up not being good enough, so apparently most NFL scouts don't know either.

I just don't think Penix's age should have any bearing on where he gets drafted. His injury history, maybe, but I feel like the majority of QBs drafted have been injured a time or two during their high school and/or college career.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Penix is 23, doesn't turn 24 til next May. Now he's old? Damn :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And by the way, BO AND 3 is 3 months OLDER than Grandpa Penix

Jayden Daniels is 23

Jordan Travis is also 23

CactusJack

Reaction score
Age isn't the issue with Penix. It's the injuries. The ACL's will be a non-starter for some teams. Maybe even for the majority.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I have a feeling PC/JS will not be drafting a QB early on perhaps later in the draft but rely on Geno/ Lock or a NFL FA. PC doesn’t have much more time to coach and probably doesn’t want a QB that might take 3-4 years to mature

12forlife

Reaction score
If rhe Hawks sit pat and take a qb that falls to them in rd 1, then if Jordan Travis is there in the 4th or 5th grab him as a backup plan. If both progress into NFL starting caliber, then Travis could be trade bait in 2-3 years?

WarHawks

Reaction score
I have a feeling PC/JS will not be drafting a QB early on perhaps later in the draft but rely on Geno/ Lock or a NFL FA. PC doesn’t have much more time to coach and probably doesn’t want a QB that might take 3-4 years to mature
This makes logical sense, but Pete needs to do what's right for the team long term also, and put his own needs and ego aside for the team. Two more years of band aids isn't going to help. Will he put his needs aside?? That's the $13 million question.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tommy Devito is a band aid. This is the Geno era.