Seahawks Should Sign Kaepernick Pure Future Business

keasley45

Reaction score
I think you mean Liberals will use that word. And he did it to himself. Imagine being shocked that he got blackballed for disrespecting half the country with an offensive display of protest. He might've just as well taken a sh-t on a dead soldiers gravestone.

No sympathy.
I know this thread is about football and Kaep as a player and so I'll get to that, but...
Seriously? Do you have any idea what it's like to live in a country, be a citizen of it, have voluntarily joined the military and gone to war to die for your country, been disabled for life in that service AND then have to face the abject humiliation of being the subject of racist discrimination by the citizens you protected, the police officers sworn to protect you, and even the military for which you served? AND to have suffered all of that both before and after yiu gave almost 30 years of your life in voluntary service to defend the freedoms of America and its citizens?
Suffered it to a degree that when you hear the national anthem, and are listening to it alongside people who have not and would not sacrifice what you did for the freedoms you gave your life to secure, and who didn't have to withstsnd the racist hate you had to endure, that that feeling of pride that should pump through your veins unfettered for those 103 seconds, is tainted with a painful awareness.. . a reminder that those words aren't meant entirely for you? Don't ring for your service, your history, or your peoples history? Or that if you fool yourself into thinking that they ARE equally for you, that you do so at the risk of being reminded, maybe even on the drive home from the stadium, that your skin color defines who you are in this country BEFORE anything else. Doesnt matter if you are a decorated war veteran, your life, your opinion , accomplishments and service, mean less, simply because your skin is brown. Doesnt matter if youre a retired police officer, a CEO, dedicated soccer mom, or college student... as if you HAD to be those things to be worthy of fair treatment... you aren't entirely one of the 'Americans ' for whom Francis Scott Key dedicated his words.
My father served this country and nearly died for it. He dedicated 30 years of his life to it. To this day, he will stop and honor the national anthem when it is played, every time he hears it, because he is an American, a soldier, and has lived the sacrifice the words in that song were written to describe. He understands them more than the vast majority of the inebriated fans that pound their chests and go on and on about the 'red white and blue' on Sunday afternoons, claiming the title of 'patriot ' just the same but without the same sense of sacrifice...worse, he is constantly reminded that in America, his White countrymen are seen by default, as more patriotic. He can't ignore the ugly side of those colors because he wont ever be allowed to forget that before he is a retired soldier, he's a black man, worthy of doubt and suspicion as often as he is honor and respect.
For him, and many people - black, white, military, non military, but ESPECIALLY MILITARY, what Colin Kaepernick did wasn't disrespectful at all. The disrespect happens each and every time that song plays and we as Americans don't take the time to consider whether it rings true for all of its citizens, or claim that we do, and don't act to make sure it's true - deciding instead to willfully ignore the reality that the tears that might run down the brown faces of our fellow countrymen ( and soldiers of color) as that song is played could be tainted with the pain of feeling and knowing they are not equal, regardless of what they sacrifice. I can't think of anything more disgraceful, disrespectful and unpatriotic than that.

As to Kaep as a player and potential Hawk - he's played in the league and his stats, when you take into consideration he had a season plus, marred by pretty significant injury, don't scream 'I suck'. I didn't care for him when he played but that was in part because he was a niner. He took his team to the Superbowl and was a tipped pass away from another, pushing our vaunted LOB to the limit consistently while he played. He's got arm talent for sure. His accuracy... soso, but better than some starting qbs in the league today. His legs now at 35... questionable, but what exactly do we have to lose?
The idea that we wouldn't bring him in because his kneeling to shine a light on inequality in this country ( inclusive of military) is somehow on par with having committed some unforgivable crime... i dont even know what to say about that. Well, I do, but I wont.

keasley45

Reaction score
He wasn’t black listed. You can kill Simone or be a rapist, but if you have talent and you aren’t in prison, someone will sign you. Kaep backers, most are really soccer fans, just want to think he was really good. He wasn’t

Colin, even with his down, post injury season, was and is better (in some cases significantly better) than a good number of qbs still playing today. That's undeniable, statistical fact. This article shines a pretty glaring light on that.

One telling nugget - during his last season in the league (one where his stats were still better than a third of the qbs playing and where he was coming off of significant surgery) but people who dont like him like to cite, his #1 wr... Jeremy Kerley. Jeremy who? Exactly. And he still managed to outplay Ryan Fitzpatrick, who many here would have zero problem signing up.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We need a game manager, mentor/bridge. That wasn’t Kaep in sf. Remember him wearing those headphones to drown out the Sound of alleged hawks fans outside his bus? That’s really who he is psychologically. More a lone wolf than a leader. Uncoachable by three outgoing coaches. Hasn’t played in five years.

Best chance at sniffing 500 is mayfield. Best game manager/mentor is JimmyG, who even the San Jose Mercury thinks may be offered To Sea if we’re the only bidders. Barring those two, minchew iwoukd Still do better than Kaep.

Hotchy

Reaction score
My God, can we please stop with the CK posts? The real issue with him is he's just not that good. His play dropped off so badly that he was beat out of the starting job by one of the worst QBs in the whole NFL, Blane Gabbert, well before he took the knee. His success was due to a gimmick offense that played very well to his strengths. Once Harbaugh left and NFL defenses started figuring out the read-option he was done. He had great wheels, and a cannon of an arm. But his touch passes , decision making, and ability to see the field and read defenses was well below avg. He was a much smaller version of Cam Newton.
I understand half the world loves him for what he did, but they need to stop blaming everything on those events and actually watch the film of his play the way it slipped off. I could personally care less about his kneeling and more to the point that he's not that good. He could've been a good backup a few years ago, but his diluted outlook of himself wouldn't accept it. The CK that took SF to the Super Bowl no longer exists

Boohman14

Reaction score
Politics aside. Kap was the "enemy" in our heyday and talked Sh** about the Hawks up to our Superbowl with Denver. I would hate him to be a Hawk for that reason alone.

keasley45

Reaction score
My God, can we please stop with the CK posts? The real issue with him is he's just not that good. His play dropped off so badly that he was beat out of the starting job by one of the worst QBs in the whole NFL, Blane Gabbert, well before he took the knee. His success was due to a gimmick offense that played very well to his strengths. Once Harbaugh left and NFL defenses started figuring out the read-option he was done. He had great wheels, and a cannon of an arm. But his touch passes , decision making, and ability to see the field and read defenses was well below avg. He was a much smaller version of Cam Newton.
I understand half the world loves him for what he did, but they need to stop blaming everything on those events and actually watch the film of his play the way it slipped off. I could personally care less about his kneeling and more to the point that he's not that good. He could've been a good backup a few years ago, but his diluted outlook of himself wouldn't accept it. The CK that took SF to the Super Bowl no longer exists
His play 'slipped off' because he had some pretty significant injuries that required surgery. When he came back, and over his last year (2 really), the team around him was garbage, his #1 wr was Jeremy Kerley, and he STILL managed to get them wins and began putting up decent numbers again.

So if you want to evaluate him objectively based off of his play, those are the facts. He was better than 1/3rd of the qbs in the league, coming off of injury, with zero supporting cast. And he outplayed Blaine Gabbert. Also statistically fact. Yet Blaine continued to play in the league.

Hardly a guy who is 'just not good'. It hurts nothing and costs nothing to give him a look. Literally nothing.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on this one. Unfortunately, everyone seems to have an irresistible urge to share it in the most belligerent manner possible, when it comes to this topic.

It's been beaten to death. This is the football forum. If you're referring to either side of the political spectrum on this post, you're clowning.

There's another topic open already, anyway. Why the need for another? Sheesh.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I respect your personal opinion on Kaep, but you obviously haven't been to too many Hawk games, or frequented sports bars on gameday.

I'd say half of football fans, that includes our fan base would be irate if we signed Kaepernick.

So good business decision? No, I think all the things you're talking about are exactly the reason he hasn't been signed in six years. His talent doesn't outweigh the media and fan firestorm that comes along with a polarizing player like Kaepernick.
I usually don't read the stupid Kaep threads. The ONLY people that want him want him for POLITICAL reasons. He sucked when he left. He is several years older and much much rustier. There are a hundred better options. It is stupid to even consider.

CPHawk

Reaction score

Colin, even with his down, post injury season, was and is better (in some cases significantly better) than a good number of qbs still playing today. That's undeniable, statistical fact. This article shines a pretty glaring light on that.

One telling nugget - during his last season in the league (one where his stats were still better than a third of the qbs playing and where he was coming off of significant surgery) but people who dont like him like to cite, his #1 wr... Jeremy Kerley. Jeremy who? Exactly. And he still managed to outplay Ryan Fitzpatrick, who many here would have zero problem signing up.
Yeah, he is a backup qb. He expected to start.

His best season would be Wilson’s worst season.

HawkInNinerLand

Reaction score
I love this conversation and how it mixes in so called social justice causes, which we need to always consider, however in the end, the NFL is a business and no one player is bigger than business especially when they do nothing but work to destroy said business. Personally I've always seen Colin as wayyyy overrated. Like said before, hard pass. Neither I nor most Seattle fans will get behind him. He's over the hill for a player who hasn't seen action. I'd rather see Hasselbeck dusted off.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I love this conversation and how it mixes in so called social justice causes, which we need to always consider, however in the end, the NFL is a business and no one player is bigger than business especially when they do nothing but work to destroy said business. Personally I've always seen Colin as wayyyy overrated. Like said before, hard pass. Neither I nor most Seattle fans will get behind him. He's over the hill for a player who hasn't seen action. I'd rather see Hasselbeck dusted off.
*Checks date on the phone...Yep,we're wrapping up AUGUST*
You're clearly a fan of dusting off old, irrelevant shit. 😐

Spohawks

Reaction score
The Hawks tried him out and he sucks. Seattle is in the worst QB spot of any team and homeboy couldn't make 3rd string.

If you really think coaches will make a move because they care about looking "Cool", why not sign Snoop Dog or Kim K? Its because they care about their job, not "Cool".

You think a player is going to give up a part of their paycheck or choose Seattle over another team if the team gave Kap a shot?

Well they did try him out...was there any players singing for cheaper or swapping teams because the Hawks worked with him? Of course not.

Say what you will, Tebow made it back (Got paid) to the NFL and Kap did not.

Tebow 1 Kap 0

beaumaris

Reaction score
Let me start by saying, history is not going to be kind to NFL teams and the blackball of Kaepernick. Whether you think he was or not, history will use that word.

Pete likes to be the old cool coach and if Seahawks signed Kaepernick, his legacy and coolness stock would go up, which in turn might be the reason a player chooses Seattle instead of wherever. Same can be said of J.S. you have to know that he has to miss being extremely popular/famous as he was during the LOB days and having commentators/analysts saying how great you are, when that goes away you miss it and want it back which he would if Kaepernick is signed and if turned out to be good...aww lawd, every or most every commentators will be talking about how smart they were to get him and on and on. And it would make the Seahawks the cool team, the team that tried to right a wrong. Once again, doesn't matter what you think unless you are currently playing in High School, College or Pro because I do not know the exact number but a very large number of players think he got screwed and those are employees and if you have a business that a lot of people is trying to help right a wrong for an injustice that you personally have stock in, that is a company you would do things for that you probably wouldn't with someone else. Im surprised some other team hasn't tried to look like the team that cares just to boost profile and profits. If you think that signing Kaepernick would be bad for business then you are crazy. I think if a team would have brought him in to be a backup and that teams number 1 QB wasnt a franchise guy, that could have been an issue because it would have affected a young or non franchise guy to have Kaepernick behind you and players releasing videos saying he should be starting and before you know it it's been warped into QB vs QB and there wasn't one QB that wanted to be looked at as Kaepernick's nemesis especially the way stuff gets conflated to make outrage a crop. You had some teams that didn't need him but you had some teams that should have taken him from a Football, money, image issue that didn't and he might have not gone with a team that he thought signed him to use as a image fluffer.

I'm saying just from a Business angle we should sign him. The upside so outweighs any negative and I can almost guarantee if we did sign him, it would be the reason at least one(I think more) player now or in the future picks us over another team, or takes a more favorable contract or stays inbounds or late in weight room or whatever. And if he still had something players would play hard for him due to their feelings about issue. Sign him.
😝