Schottenheimer Play Calling?

olyfan63

Reaction score
After week 2, two ugly losses, offense looking awful, there was a fair amount of disgust with Schottenheimer and his handling of the offense.

What do people think of Schottenheimer's play calling body of work at this point? And his handling of Russell Wilson and the seeming higher level of authority that Russell has this year?

What I saw that I liked today is that Schotty and the O coaches identify matchups that develop during the game, based on guys getting injured, and less-capable backups coming in. Several of the 'Hawks big plays came against a rookie backup DB that replaced an injured guy. And, they made it look natural within the context of the offense, without twisting or perverting the offense.

Also, today, with Carolina stuffing/limiting our running game, Schotty adjusted to go to the passing game more, without totally abandoning the run game.

I'm seeing much better situational awareness from the offensive braintrust overall than what we saw in the Bevell/Cable years. The OFFENSE won this game today. The defense made just enough plays, one more play than the Panthers, to allow the offense to pull out the win.

Also today, we picked up short yardage 1st downs with runs a couple times. Our improved O-Line sure helps. And I'd credit Schottenheimer for getting in good personnel packages, e.g., Fant playing TE, that make "predictable" plays more successful.

I'll say he could stand to improve on third-and-long, but only because it feels like our D gives up more 3rd-and-long conversions than our O picks up, and it feels like we "concede" on too many 3rd and longs. (Double-edged sword, maybe being more aggressive results in more turnovers)

What are people seeing from Schotty in the play-calling and adjustments that they like?
Where are there blind spots or predictability issues where Schotty & Co. could stand to improve?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I like that he is adaptive and has a very complimentary OL coach. Russ is having a career season. He will likely throw more TD passes than last season, that’s huge.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Schotty is more responsible for our wins than Pete.

That's what I think.

Russ is looking more and more comfortable which is great to see. And yes, much more authoritative which I remarked last season he needed to be. He's the team's star. Don't be afraid to sound off from time to time.

All in all, as said weeks earlier, this team is a lot more fun to watch this season vs recent previous ones.

GO HAWKS!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1k5vwfte said:

The OC hired by the HC is more responsible for our wins than the HC. :34853_doh:

Cartire

Reaction score
I think he could call more Wilson designed runs and not just RPO. Wilson will not keep it the first half, 99.9% of the time, no matter what the DE does. If Im a D-Coordinator, thats pretty good information. Every team knows this, so its ridiculous we dont exploit it. However, it could be a long con, which obviously works better for the home stretch.

I also think every situation is different. 22 guys on the field and any single one can miss an assignment or make a fluke spectacular read. Thats the nature of the game. Glad we opened it up in the air. Our D played lights out though to save us. 5 forced fumbles, all ridiculous "football" bounces that kept Carolina alive. I want that throw to Doug back in the 2nd. Russell needs to put more air under it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'd like to see him adjust just a little earlier in the game, and stop trying to get cute with trying to get Penny involved when we are in tight games. I'd give him an A minus for this game, with a lot of credit to the Panthers potent D this game.

After watching, I have to think that nobody wants to draw a playoff game against the Panthers in Carolina.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
hawknation2018":9ekdfzdn said:
semiahmoo":9ekdfzdn said:

The OC hired by the HC is more responsible for our wins than the HC. :34853_doh:

Yup. We're talking game to game not "Pete hired him so he gets all the credit."

Pete brought him on. Early on some doubted Schotty's ability to turn around what has been a rather sucky offense over the course of recent seasons.

Schotty has proven himself. It's not been a perfect improvement - but no doubt a big one.

This offense right now is so much more dangerous than it's been.

The #1 reason that change has come about - Schotty.

GO HAWKS!

Cartire

Reaction score
bigskydoc":35uq50dm said:
I'd like to see him adjust just a little earlier in the game, and stop trying to get cute with trying to get Penny involved when we are in tight games. I'd give him an A minus for this game, with a lot of credit to the Panthers potent D this game.

After watching, I have to think that nobody wants to draw a playoff game against the Panthers in Carolina.

They did the perfect amount of Penny. We have no idea how Penny might have responded in the running game. He's had good games and bad games. Carolina was stuffing our running game. Carson had some good runs, but he was also stuffed behind the line a lot. Thats both on bad blocking and Carolina countering perfectly. Throwing Penny out there for a few plays just to see if he could change their tune, was a smart play. They also pulled him when it mattered. So we didnt die on him.

Fade

Reaction score
3rd and long is hard to convert in the NFL.

You need 1 of 2 things.

A big time target. Julio Jones, Gronk, etc., preferably with some size. Seattle throws to David Moore often in these situations he is 6'0''.

Or an inept defense, or a bust in coverage. 3rd and long is very hard to convert, and cannot be converted even semi consistently.

Will Dissly could be that guy in the future, but it is hard to say now that he severely hurt his knee.

Schotty overall is a big upgrade over Bevell, but is he in no way shape or form a passing game savant. He was brought in to improve the running game, and help Wilson become more disciplined as a pocket passer, working with him on little fundamental things.

He is doing a good job overall, but nothing that would get him a Head Coaching job. (Great OCs are now the future Head Coaches of this league.)

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2mq280cz said:
hawknation2018":2mq280cz said:
semiahmoo":2mq280cz said:

Pete brought him on. Early on some doubted Schotty's ability to turn around what has been a rather sucky offense over the course of recent seasons.

Schotty has proven himself. It's not been a perfect improvement - but no doubt a big one.

GO HAWKS!

Yet when Pete kept Bevel and Cable, it was all his fault for keeping them. :34853_doh:

Because we have no idea what kind of conversations go on between Solari, Schotty, and PC, there's no reason to assign accolades to a single person. It seems to be a functional offensive front office right now; I'm enjoying watching it.

With the amount of time Russ has had to throw, the O-Line is doing better. Is that all on the OC?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Still think the biggest turnaround for the offense is Solari. We can run and pass protect this year. We’ve been awful for the last two years at that. This year with a decent OL, suddenly the offense is competent.

I have no doubt that Bevell could adequately coordinate this version of the Hawks.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":i6s8rien said:
Still think the biggest turnaround for the offense is Solari. We can run and pass protect this year. We’ve been awful for the last two years at that. This year with a decent OL, suddenly the offense is competent.

I have no doubt that Bevell could adequately coordinate this version of the Hawks.

100% THIS!!!

Solari is why all this could happen. Bevell had his hands tied with steel cable. Yes, I like Schotty better, but I'm stating the bigger difference maker IMO.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3321he2t said:
semiahmoo":3321he2t said:
hawknation2018":3321he2t said:
semiahmoo":3321he2t said:

GO HAWKS!

Yet when Pete kept Bevel and Cable, it was all his fault for keeping them. :34853_doh:

Because we have no idea what kind of conversations go on between Solari, Schotty, and PC, there's no reason to assign accolades to a single person. It seems to be a functional offensive front office right now; I'm enjoying watching it.

With the amount of time Russ has had to throw, the O-Line is doing better. Is that all on the OC?

If he had dumped Bevel and Cable when he should have, then it would have been on Bevel and Cable. What is on Pete is keeping them for years after it was obvious they should be fired.

getnasty

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1p1p2o5g said:

I agree with Solari being the biggest difference. That pocket that Russ had on 4 and 3 was awesome.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
For this you could have more than one answer. Solari is great, but Schotty's run and redzone play calling is ELITE. And he's finding his way in the passing game. Watch out

chris98251

Reaction score
Bevell could not use his personnel adequately, he could not call plays that used their strengths, he was predictable. Cable had his huge issues but so does Bevell. Bevell is so good there are teams stumbling over themselves to hire him and he is still waiting to pick the right offer I guess.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
My point wasn't that Bevell or Cable were good; only that that the head coach gets credit for success if he take the heat for failure.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":i7l20cl6 said:
My point wasn't that Bevell or Cable were good; only that that the head coach gets credit for success if he take the heat for failure.

Like I said, first failure was on Bevell/Cable. Continuing to roll with that same failure year after year is on Pete.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
JustTheTip":2v9v5oge said:
Ad Hawk":2v9v5oge said:
semiahmoo":2v9v5oge said:
hawknation2018":2v9v5oge said:

GO HAWKS!

If he had dumped Bevel and Cable when he should have, then it would have been on Bevel and Cable. What is on Pete is keeping them for years after it was obvious they should be fired.

TRUE. Silly how some give Pete a pass on that.

Schotty is doing great. Not perfect. Perhaps not yet good enough to be a serious HC consideration, but we are much-improved over recent seasons. Big props to the O-Line as well of course which I noted earlier in the season as well even when some were saying they were not better than before.

GO HAWKS!