Schottenheimer Play Calling?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The difference between Bevel and Shotty might be recognizing that Caroliana D was missing a corner and immediately calling a play to take advantage of it. The difference between Cable and Solari is that Russell had time to stand and make the throw.

sutz

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2e88zz31 said:
Schottenheimer is great at designing run plays, but his passing game is lackluster. He calls some really weird pass plays, and does some weird things in certain situations. Hard to know if it's Schottenheimer or Pete behind the passing game, because it looks kind of similar to some of the pass plays Bevell called, and Pete stated that it is 70% his offense. I'm not talking about volume either, I'm talking about the design of the pass plays. Personally I think Wilson would looked even better if some of these pass plays were fixed.
Well, IIRC, Schotty said he was only installing 1/3 of the offense and the rest would be from before. The improvement in the runnning game has been obvious, the passing game had actually seemed a bit lackluster until the Carolina game. It really woke up there, with great effect.

Seymour

Reaction score
Threedee":3n35kvu2 said:
Mad Dog":3n35kvu2 said:
Still think the biggest turnaround for the offense is Solari. We can run and pass protect this year. We’ve been awful for the last two years at that. This year with a decent OL, suddenly the offense is competent.

I have no doubt that Bevell could adequately coordinate this version of the Hawks.

I think Bevell would coordinate this season's offense slightly less competently than a half-eaten ham sandwich. One of the primary reasons why this version of offense has taken form is the massive addition-by-subtraction that is not having Darrell F. Bevell a part of it.

Ya....Mama Cass's other half sandwich is my guess.

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2c6b4bfb said:
chris98251":2c6b4bfb said:
Atradees":2c6b4bfb said:
i like that that some of you guys talk so much you feel pretty. the o coordinator is new.

No I don't feel pretty, I am pretty :) If you were away or under a rock or new to the Forum some of us pointed out these shortcomings for three years with Cable and Bevell.
If by "pointing out" you mean "spewing an incessant litany" then I agree.

It's a bitch when people are right and you don't agree.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A question if I may? Is Shotty asst head coach? Is Solari?? I ask because it may be what is making some things click.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":28j827fb said:
Mad Dog":28j827fb said:
Still think the biggest turnaround for the offense is Solari. We can run and pass protect this year. We’ve been awful for the last two years at that. This year with a decent OL, suddenly the offense is competent.

I have no doubt that Bevell could adequately coordinate this version of the Hawks.
Put your lack of doubt in a trash bin. We're not as stupidly predictable as we used to be, and that's all on the OC.

But are we unpredictable because the OL is functional and we can do more things competently now? I seem to recall being pretty unpredictable in the Marshawn-Russell era from 2012-2015. Then the OL fell apart in 2016 and 2017 and the the offense creativity went with it.

We'll unfortunately never know for sure who was more responsible for the last couple years offensive woes but to my eye, the biggest change has been the quality of OL play. They produce pockets Wilson can trust. They open holes RB's can go through. They move the LOS forward in short yardage.

Wilson threw for 339 yards and I don't think he once spun backwards out of the pocket because the interior was leaking like a sieve. That's progress.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
TwilightError":29hbkq39 said:
semiahmoo":29hbkq39 said:
Schotty is more responsible for our wins than Pete.

That's what I think.

Russ is looking more and more comfortable which is great to see. And yes, much more authoritative which I remarked last season he needed to be. He's the team's star. Don't be afraid to sound off from time to time.

All in all, as said weeks earlier, this team is a lot more fun to watch this season vs recent previous ones.

GO HAWKS!

Russ looking more authoritative is the key. I believe it’s partly because the articles about melting locker room had some truth to them and the players who found it impossible to be under Wilson’s authority are now gone. So Russ can take his place as the number one leader in the team.

Partly it probably is because Schotty and Russ have found the way they get the best out of their new partnership. It just seems to work well right now.

Right on all counts. Believe me, I know...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2wp3wven said:
Spin Doctor":2wp3wven said:
Schottenheimer is great at designing run plays, but his passing game is lackluster. He calls some really weird pass plays, and does some weird things in certain situations. Hard to know if it's Schottenheimer or Pete behind the passing game, because it looks kind of similar to some of the pass plays Bevell called, and Pete stated that it is 70% his offense. I'm not talking about volume either, I'm talking about the design of the pass plays. Personally I think Wilson would looked even better if some of these pass plays were fixed.

Seemed to work this week.

Indeed it did.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sutz":2691ldws said:
Spin Doctor":2691ldws said:
Well, IIRC, Schotty said he was only installing 1/3 of the offense and the rest would be from before. The improvement in the runnning game has been obvious, the passing game had actually seemed a bit lackluster until the Carolina game. It really woke up there, with great effect.
Gotta give Schottenheimer some credit in this game, he did something that Bevell never did. When Carolina's top CB went out he started exploiting that weakness in the defense. Bevell would have continued with the game plan, and not adjusted until the fourth quarter if at all.

The passing game's main issue this season is it is the same limited passing game that we have been calling for years. I don't think this is Schottenheimers fault though. I do think that the passing offense design has held Russ and the team back at times. Don't think it is Schottenheimers fault here. Would love to see the passing offense redesigned a bit come next season.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I have my criticisms but I don't think they are any more so than they would be for any coordinator, never will agree all the time. But I certainly like it better than bevell's time here. That could be because of the results and the line being better, however.

I also think you are calling offense differently when you have a mortal defense vs. how you might choose to play things when you had one of the best D's all time on the field.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3tg5tb8q said:
I have my criticisms but I don't think they are any more so than they would be for any coordinator, never will agree all the time. But I certainly like it better than bevell's time here. That could be because of the results and the line being better, however.

I also think you are calling offense differently when you have a mortal defense vs. how you might choose to play things when you had one of the best D's all time on the field.
I think the line looking better is partially because of Schottenheimer. I think Solari and Schotty work well together. Some very nice things going on in the running game in terms of play design. Schottenheimer has also worked on Russ's internal clock, and pocket presence a bit too.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hwkbgr/status/1067197614993608704[/tweet]

Fade

Reaction score

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Fade":38zbzx5m said:

4th and 3

Shotty's voice over the headset, "roll right, slot drag for 4 yds"

Russ mouthing the words, "What's that? I can't understand..."

Russ calls vert route to Moore and nails it. :D

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2kq6xnew said:
Hawknballs":2kq6xnew said:

I think the line looking better is partially because of Schottenheimer. I think Solari and Schotty work well together. Some very nice things going on in the running game in terms of play design. Schottenheimer has also worked on Russ's internal clock, and pocket presence a bit too.

Agreed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Helmet Mic may have been down but they were still relaying plays and players, there are like 3 or 4 different ways to do it, signals, players, cue cards where you have two sets and nobody knows what set is right. They could have been shuffling players in with a couple plays and letting Wilson pick and choose also.

Latest posts